x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J720: how to connect it to W10 PC and issues with touch screen

marko Page Icon Posted 2021-06-17 3:48 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Finally got my hands on a 720; started to play with it yesterday, and got stuck.

First of all, connecting the USB to my W10 pc show as unknown device. I installed windows mobile device center for W7 but it does not seem to install at all.
How do I connect my J720 to my W10 machine? I would like to sync up the data and install on the device some applications.

Also I noticed that the screen is not responding to the pen touch consistently... In some areas respond with light touches; in other areas you need quite a lot of force, and I don't recall having this issue with my first 720. I removed both the backup and main battery to reset the device; but the problem still persist. How can I fix this? Thanks
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-06-17 5:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Not sure if this will work with 64bit Windows 10, but you can take a look at this thread:
It says that the sync worked with Windows 10 32bit.

fantablium says, "You need to get win10 to install 'windows mobile device centre' - Windows does this when a suitable device is attached, sadly the J720 is NOT a suitable device!
To do this I have a 2003SE PPC which I connected over USB and after a few attempts the device centre was installed. I had to sync the PPC before I could get the device centre to recognise the J720. "

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17751

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2021-06-17 5:55 AM
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-06-17 7:56 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for the reply! I went through that post but sadly I have X64 version

By chance I stumbled on this video; it did work! Took me 4 updates and 3 restart but now windows mount the drive so I can move files to the device! Next step is to find an ancient copy of outlook, to sink contacts, calendar and everything else, but it is a start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWV4S4n-1n4

Is there any utility that could help me to troubleshoot the issue with the screen? I can see that tapping in certain regions just does not work without pushing a lot, and that may damage the screen (plus it is inconvenient). I assume I have a bad screen? Is easy to fix or replace?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-06-17 10:12 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

There are several Outlook 2000 on eBay which is around the era Jornada 720 was released.
If you buy the link through this link, HPC:Factor gets a percentage. It's 9.99GBP to 15.00 EUR.
The one sold for 9.99GBP is without serial, so be careful.

Thanks for sharing the URL that got it working with us, I think this is a news for us here at HPC:Factor.
Well, about the screen, it might be good to hard reset, but proceed with caution as Jornada 720 may be showing signs of wear and it may do more harm. There are threads on HPC:Factor forum about replacing the screen. You can search for it, it's easy to find.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-06-17 6:08 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Not sure if this is allowed but here is a link to my youtube video on connecting a J728 (works with other CD2.11/3 devices) to Win10 64biy It'll sync with Outlook up to 2013 but you want 32bit outlook.

https://youtu.be/xmkpLl_TSKs

Just re-read your comment Marko, that is the same video

If you are struggling to find outlook PM me as I have a bunch of copies that came with various PPCs and HPCs

Edited by fantablium 2021-06-17 6:33 PM
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-06-17 7:45 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks; I do have the actual code for Outlook; it came with the device (same for the activesync sofware, which doesn't work on modern OS); I will keep an eye for a CD to get the installer matching the license I have

In regard to the screen; I found some threads regarding the digitizer but nothing specific about how to fix it. Not sure if I need the whole assembly or if there is a way to get a digitizer from a different screen assembly (maybe from a 680?) to swap it. Although the 680 has a different side touch area; so the icons would be different and the badge would be different too. Also it does seem like I need to take apart both devices to do the swap; and that seems to be quite daunting, considering the danger to break clips or damage ribbon cables Looked on iFixit but there is no guide there either; so doing this seems a job out of my reach sadly
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-06-18 1:18 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

As for the Jornada 720 screen replacement, I did a quick search in the forums, and found the site.

It's now archived on archive.org.

Here it is: (Jornada Central) It shows step-by-step guide with pictures. Pictures still work in the archive thankfully.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080314094522/http://home.freeuk.com/go...

The best way nowadays is to get a broken Jornada 720 with screen that is working on sites like eBay and swap it with your Jornada 720.

Edited by stingraze 2021-06-18 1:20 AM
 Top of the page
Shiunbird Page Icon Posted 2021-06-23 9:46 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I sync using a Windows XP VM and Nextcloud. It works beautifully.
I posted the instructions here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWudLXo0rfk

I'm very happy with it and I use my 720 daily.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 12 - Executed queries : 62