x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NS Basic/CE (and all other variants) are now open source

nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2021-06-19 1:24 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It's been a very long time since I've posted something here, but yesterday while browsing Reddit I came across a very interesting post from George Henne himself announcing that he was open sourcing all of his legacy NS Basic programs.

This is really amazing and would be great to put this on the SCL archive for preservation purposes. I've started programming on Palm OS back in the day using his tools, and I believe a lot of other users here did the same. Having access to the original source code is absolutely incredible.

So, just wanted to let everyone here know about this amazing bit of news for our community. Have fun!

Here's the link to the GitHub repositories: https://github.com/nsbasic-archive
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-06-19 2:31 PM
#
Writing Team
H/PC Vanguard

Wow! Cool information. I must try it out...
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-06-20 2:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I'm impressed! You can create apps for WinCe on the Jornada 720 or Mp900 running on Basic? Nice work. Another world to explore! (Not that I understand the significance of knowing the source code and all).

Many thanks Nathan

joval

Edited by joval 2021-06-20 2:50 AM
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 8:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you want to develop for Windows CE using Basic you have 2 main options: eMbedded Visual Basic, which is great and is the official Microsoft way of developing for Windows CE (in Basic at least), but that's pretty limited since and quite painful to use at times, or you could use NS Basic, which is a lot more like VB6 and gives you a lot more power. Here's a comparison of the two in case you might be interested.
 Top of the page
hpc:factor« View previous thread · Developers Arena · View next thread »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.078 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9
Server Time now is: Saturday, 24 July 2021 - 4:45