x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NS Basic/CE (and all other variants) are now open source

1 2 3 4
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-10-04 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I sent and email a few months ago to George Henne, NSBasic creator, about availability of version 7 on github. He was trying to find binaries for v7 on his old stuff when I found this post. I just emailed him again saying we found the binaries but were needing a valid key to register. He said: "Try 300003 as a serial number for old versions". @dl1av, can you please confirm if this serial works?
 Top of the page
andrej2112 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-05 10:31 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

HI Ntware
It does work, password is 3000003. But I have version 5, could not download v7 from wayback machine...
 Top of the page
andrej2112 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-05 11:59 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Acctualy 3000003 is serial number key.

I downloaded full version v6 and need password for it. Password for host pc install.
Could someone ask autor? Or give us v7 binaries?
 Top of the page
andrej2112 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-05 12:02 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-10-05 12:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Not sure, but I changed the URL's 6 to 7 and there were some files.
URL:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090608211322/http://www.nsbasic.com/pu...

Unfortunately, it wasn't so easy. Seems like they didn't archive it.
I think some people here might have it.

Good luck.

Edited by stingraze 2021-10-05 12:33 PM
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2021-10-05 5:52 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Worked here, too. Finally Thank you for the 300003.

I now have V5.1.2a running on a Jornada 720 (Handheld PC 2000 CE3.0)

In my list of the three necessary installations I missed the fourth one (maybe an admin can add it to the list for future reference?):

https://web.archive.org/web/20080907220700/http://www.nsbasic.com/pu...

These four files work for my platform. For different CPUs there are different files.

I am fine with V5 because there is an IDE for the handheld. V7 is only a cross-compiler on my pc but without any local editor on my old handheld.

BTW: The IDE is more or less the standard text editor without any fancy programmers functions and the menue is extended to RUN a program.
Even the classy Borland-C1.0 was more comfortable - but besides that it is really nice to have.

Edited by dl1av 2021-10-05 6:40 PM
 Top of the page
andrej2112 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-05 10:05 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Yes, you need basic.hpc.exe, that is IDE on target device (handheld win ce2.0), runtime.hpc.exe is just runtime, but I installed runtimefat as you told me, it has additional active x and dlls...
Serial is 3000003 / five zeroes not four
In v7 Include folder with file called basic.hpc.exe is not archived

IDE is really nice, enough for this platform
Does jornada 720 run github v8 opensource version? You have arm v4 processor https://github.com/nsbasic-archive/NS-Basic-for-WinCE
Try to install please

P.S author of ns basic wrote old version serial number (3000003)on that page
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-10-06 5:54 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I tried v8 on the Jornada but it doesn't work. I was even able to install the .cab files, but the binary won't run, even with Redgear. It was made for Windows Mobile and CE .net 4.2 or later. I've asked George if he can locate the binaries for v7, still waiting for his response.
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2021-10-06 6:50 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Isn´t the v8 the one in the github and the v7 the one in the archive.org?
https://web.archive.org/web/20081025083645/http://www.nsbasic.com/pu...

Besides: Has someone really tried to what extend the package is complete? Tried someone to get a "hello world"-program running?

The text in the github says that to really compile a program you need to have the Microsoft-compiler, too.

If you don´t have it you get only some kind of object-code which does not run outside the development system (I suppose)

I did not have the time during the last days to give it a full try myself.
 Top of the page
andrej2112 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-06 10:20 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

IDE is working I tried it with simple app. It is great. Talking about v5 on jornada 360lx, on github is v8.
If you have win ce net handheld, all you need is instalation on host. Georgs words:"Use NSBasic_CE to install the IDE and all the device installers" in the menu on host you have option to install IDE on device, but only win ce net and pocketpc. Other download is NSbAsicIDE.exe host IDE only. Release notes for v8 tells about dropping support for devices prior to os version 4
You need MS compiler only if want to continue development of ndbasic.
That is all I know...
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2021-10-07 4:56 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Looks good.
I saw some samples in one of the installations and will try them later.
 Top of the page
andrej2112 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-08 9:18 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hello Everyone
I installed NSbasic v8 OpenSource on HP IPAQ 214, It is doing great. All you need to do is Install on host pc then, with active sync connected, chose Install IDE on device (Run/Instalers menu). Before that in Tools/Options menu chose Tab and pick right platform MIPS, windows mobile, ARM etc. And that is all. It is working, nice to see it on color lcd...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-08 9:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Is someone willing to compile a definitive set of files, keys etc for each version (IDE installer + runtime installer + other + keys + docs & API ref) that is now available in the public domain and we'll add it all to the SCL so that this is easier for people in the future?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-10-08 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm an ethical hacker by profession and since most of the stuff related to nsbasic is lost I gave my reverse engineering skills a try to find out what the v6 password is. I don't know if this is perfectly "legal" from your point of view, but since George already published v8 as an open source abandonware I figured the same would apply to v6 and all earlier versions. Static analysis was a bit convoluted. Turns out the installer binary was packed with UPX and was written in Delphi (who uses that nowadays). Decompiling was a hassle. Then I turned to dynamic analysis which revealed the password quickly. It seems that the installer parses an "install script" that is loaded from memory. All I had to do was set a breakpoint for every USER32.MessageBoxA call so that it would break when the "incorrect password" dialog was displayed. Once I hit that point, I set some breakpoints at the entry of some of the previous function calls on the flow, repeated the process and, soon enough, the line that compares the password was loaded into the stack:

In case you can't see from the picture below, the password is '246gt' (without quotes obviously)

It was a fun side-project

edit:
I emailed George and he gave me permission to publish v6 password, so we are fine

Edited by ntware 2021-10-08 5:45 PM

(Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 12.31.26 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 12.31.26 PM.png (179KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
andrej2112 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-11 10:22 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

CAmie
I have free time so tell me exactly what to do. But you should know that software is picked up from wayback machine so some files are there and some are not. There is version 7 but still we don't have files for. I have version 5 and 6 off course v8 is open source, 7 is missing yet.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 29