x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-02 2:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Blimey, I can feel that working hard. Takes me back to when I was playing with the BOCHS alpha for the first time (the pain, the pain, the pain of it all...)
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-04 5:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yep, painfully slow ;-)

But, I've compiled a new version with some "hidden" features activated - dynamic recompile and optimizing for the strongarm cpu, so wolf3d is almost playable ;-) and space quest definitely is ...

Kind regards
Timo
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 3:22 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for creating these setup!

I tried the 8 GB one and it works great; except that when you run X server, the overall UI is quite large so it goes beyond the main screen (was not able to find the preferences to change the scale of the ui; I assume that there is no UI scaling setting?). Also the on-off button does not seem to put the device to "sleep"; I read somewhere in the thread that it should turn off PCMCIA port and the screen, but it does not do that on my 720.

Another issue is that the screen goes totally white when you restart; and I need to remove the backup battery and the main battery to fix the issue. Is there a workaround for that? Thanks!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 4:54 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

marko - 2021-10-23 7:22 PM

Thanks for creating these setup!

I tried the 8 GB one and it works great; except that when you run X server, the overall UI is quite large so it goes beyond the main screen (was not able to find the preferences to change the scale of the ui; I assume that there is no UI scaling setting?). Also the on-off button does not seem to put the device to "sleep"; I read somewhere in the thread that it should turn off PCMCIA port and the screen, but it does not do that on my 720.

Another issue is that the screen goes totally white when you restart; and I need to remove the backup battery and the main battery to fix the issue. Is there a workaround for that? Thanks!

Welcome to the Devuan 720 club......

You need hold the Alt key and then drag the window with stylus down and to the left a bit to see the icons for adjusting the window to fit the display.

You can't put device to sleep. However, the display will go to sleep after a bit.

After you shutdown Devuan, then you have to remove both batteries. After about 5 minutes, you can put back the batteries and 720 will restart properly. Then you have go through the setup screens and calibration. Then you will get back to WinCE desktop. From there you can either use WinCE or start up Devuan again.

HTH,

Mark
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 8:31 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks Mark

I really enjoyed giving it a try. There is also python 2.7, which blew my mind (wondering if python3 would run on it); although I was not sure if the white screen issue was normal or not.

I assume there is no work around then; which is unfortunate since I have to wait 5 minutes between reboots if I need to reboot directly into Linux. I assume everyone leave their device on all the time and plug it into the wall brick and never restart/shut it down? I wonder if that is healthy for the device, but I assume the answer is yes

When I tried to push the power button, I got a barrage of print in console about some sort of error message; I will take a screenshot to show the issue. The screen never turned off; it was just printing over and over that string on screen, until I killed the process.

Thanks for the trick for viewing the window gadgets! Would a smaller font make the UI smaller or the size of the ui is independent from the font size?

Also I was wondering about networking, to download more applications and updates: I do not have a unprotected wifi network and setting up one feel like a hassle; so I sourced 2 LAN PCMCIA cards and was wondering if there are linux or WCE drivers for those:

- 3com etherlink 3 3c589c
- 3com Megahertz 3cxfe575ct

Those are using a standard LAN connector so it is much easier for me to get them online. I plugged them in but could not tell if they work or not; never worked on linux with PCMCIA cards so I am not sure what is the process to get those ready to connect to my home network.

Thanks for your replies and efforts to sustain this project!

Edited by marko 2021-10-24 8:32 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 11:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

You're welcome, marko....

Yes, having python is great....don't have my 720....so, don't recall whether I installed v3 or not...

Only workaround to the rebooting issue is to have a new ROM board.....some years ago there was a guy that was going to produce some for us, but he never was able to get production going unfortunately.

Not sure what's going on with your power button and console issue...

For more tips about Devuan on 720, you check out Stefan's (Dev_Null) thread about Devuan and then go to his website and copy his instructions that have usage tips in it.

It's a lot of pages, but there's a lot of useful info in this thread and Dev_Null's thread about using Devuan. At least skim through them.

As for WiFi cards, the threads have a lot of discussion about the cards and how they work.

If you boot up Devuan with card inserted, you'll see text in console about whether or not the driver modules get loaded or not. If not, then you'll need to copy the modules to your install. This has all been discussed a lot in the threads.

Best,

Mark

As for wifi cards.....
 Top of the page
hpc:factor« View previous thread · H/PC Linux / Unix · View next thread »
« Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.157 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10
Server Time now is: Tuesday, 26 October 2021 - 1:22