x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 5:17 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

It's now very easy to install Stefan's Devuan port onto an SD card (micro as well) using a disk image file made with Win32DiskImager free software.

I do wish someone would have pointed this out earlier, I have been using Win32DiskImager for many years to burn/create boot images in android tablets, duh... but I never knew how easily one can create images for backup or sharing. No more fooling around with linux commands and tar files and partitions, etc. The hard work has been done for you!

So I am creating Devuan images for 8GB, 16 GB and 32 GB size micro or regular SD Cards. Just download the image and save it to your harddrive.

Then download Win32DiskImager and install and open it, place an SD Card the same size (or bigger) than the image size in your card slot. Chose the image file from your hard drive, choose the sdcard drive letter and then click on "write."

A few minutes later when completed just pop the sdcard into an SD to CF adapter and boot up Devuan within WinCE by navigating to the storage card and clicking on Jlinexec (the bootloader).

Then log in as user/u$er...type startx wait for Fluxbox, then open bash terminal (alt with "e"xplorer key). Using a NE2000 ethernet card you can connect to a Raspberry Pi or a router so Time/Date can be updated. I am posting this on a Jornada720/Devuan/ethernet/RasPi "hybrid" ... and any of you can now do so as well.

I will clean up the images I have made and start posting them shortly if not too big. This will save hours for the non-linux crowd. Of course I will continue to simplify and update the images for wifi cards etc.

regards,

joval

well, the 8gb file is too big for upload...I'll try some thing smaller or compressed maybe.

Edited by joval 2021-07-02 5:33 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 1:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Excellent! Maybe you can use Google drive for hosting?
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 1:45 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

OMG this is amazing!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 8:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Let's see if this 2GB version will upload...nope, no luck with 611MB zipped img file. I don't know a thing about hosting so any help is appreciated.

joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-02 8:26 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 9:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ok I just set up file hosting : https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697 has the 2GB SD Card image , click on the zip file to download. Not so sure about how well I have this set up this file hosting stuff but it's time I learned about it! It's a 30 day trial period...here goes! I'll add larger SDCard images in the future if I get a reasonable response...

user = user password = u$er root= su root password= r00t

Reminder: change the PARAMS.TXT file on the Fat32 partition to mem=32 for stock J720 32Mb. I forgot and set it to mem=64m as I upgraded my ram to 64Mb. Otherwise the boot will stall. (Sometimes is stalls on the first boot anyway, just reboot, etc.) I'll correct it to be default mem=32m for 32Mb later.

Speed wise I don't see much difference shh into Raspi with either 32Mb OR 64Mb as Devuan is using the SDCard swap drive. Where it makes a BIG difference in trying to install new programs with the "apt-get install ANYProgram" , with 64MB its works well, fairly fast. With 32Mb stock J720 it is Impossibly slow and 99% of time it will fail... so use TimoBo qemu emulator which works great (Thanks TimBo)!

Edited by joval 2021-07-02 10:50 PM
 Top of the page
can't remember Page Icon Posted 2021-07-03 4:08 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I think I've got a 2GB card somewhere, I have to try this when I'm back home. Thank you very much for simplifying the installation procedure. Mine is a 728 with 64MB so I think I should not change anything, right?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-03 4:37 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Good to HPCFactor is back online now...for whatever reason!

ok, that is a 2Gb CF or SD card image I have hosted at the above link... so it will successfully write/create a Devuan bootable CF/SD card (thank you -Dev_Null/Stefan) with a Fat32 partition 1 size of 400Mb, and a Linux partition 2 size of 1.8Gb, and a Linux swap partition 3 size of 151Mb. It will work on any microSD/SD/CF card of 2Gb size or larger.

The remainder of the sd card, say 32GB, will remain unallocated/unused... although you could easily add another Fat 32 partition or Linux partition with the MiniToolPartitionWizard (free) and create mount points for them for those who understand what I'm saying. However, as I learn more, I will offer 8, 16, and 32 SD Card sizes for downloading... I just need to learn how to comopress them... otherwise downloads will take forever! So the 2Gb image gives you a chance to play around until then.

As is, a Ne2000 compatible ethernet card should work to allow you to connect to a Linux X forwarding remote desktop, or better yet to a battery operated RaspberryPi 3 or 4 ethernet port (there is a shell script I've mentioned elsewhere that sets things up easily). I have details on how to set up the RasPi elsewhere, enabling vncviewer, ssh, etc.

To use wifi cards, you will have to append/change the "/etc/network/interfaces" file to add your SSID, password, etc. I had a Netgear MA401 card set up for WEP (insecure) so you can see that template in that file and add your details. Use the "nano" editor for such.

Both -Dev_Null and ntware have WPA working using the WPA_supplicant which I have yet to master... perhaps they can weigh in here or point you in the right direction. Ethernet with a lightweight ribbon cable seems faster, uses less power, and is easiest to set up although WIFI cards are easier to purchase and even cheaper in cost. I intend to get this all worked out for all of us and included in future images. Enjoy!

Many thanks to all of you a who have contributed to this undertaking... Stefan, ntware, the Jlime folks, C:Amie, TimoBo, ArchiMark, to name a few...and many others!!!

Let's see if I can include a screen snapshot of my J720/Devuan/ethernet/Raspi Hybrid:

joval (this time on his HP Pavillion megaLaptop).

(j720DevRaspi.JPG)

(j720_RPi3_batteryOff.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments j720DevRaspi.JPG (446KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments j720_RPi3_batteryOff.jpg (308KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-03 5:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

can't remember - 2021-07-03 8:08 AM

I think I've got a 2GB card somewhere, I have to try this when I'm back home. Thank you very much for simplifying the installation procedure. Mine is a 728 with 64MB so I think I should not change anything, right?

Right! Although the mem=32 option will load as well AFAIK. If you have an ethernet card you can connect to your router directly wired to have date time auto-updated. You can also ssh from there to any x-forwarding linux or Raspi if ip address is known (via router). IMO, direct wired ethernet to Raspi (with battery) is most portable and reliable. Wifi setup will be covered later.

I've included MC file explorer, type mc at bash terminal prompt, as well as NTP time update (need to set time zone as mentioned elsewhere... do a site search for details).

I appreciate your feedback.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-03 5:43 PM

(j720_RasPi4_BluToSpkr.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments j720_RasPi4_BluToSpkr.jpg (165KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-03 7:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI RaspberryPi runs a version of Debian (named Raspian) and it installs from a disk image after which I modeled this Devuan image install.

In addition, after the RasPi install it senses the size of the microSD Card and automatically resizes the Linux partition to max out the card. This is what I intend to make available with the J720 Devuan install...just as soon as I figure that out...or as soon as one one you show me how to do such.

after that I will work on auto login, auto ssh into RasPi...so it pretty much boots up into VNC or Firefox. That is the goal, so all a NOOB does is flash the sdcard and it's internet ready via a cheap RasPi or clone.

Before that though, I will need to get back to the USB-host hack that Stefan in all his glorious miracle working has managed to discover/create (standing on the shoulder of giants from the past... the Jlime crew ).

And then there are all the wifi WPA rabbit holes to venture down into...

joval (from one of my J720/ethernet/Devuan/RasPi/Firefox hybrids this time)!

Edited by joval 2021-07-03 7:45 PM
 Top of the page
can't remember Page Icon Posted 2021-07-06 12:15 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

It works great, first time I get X to start without any problems, my previous Linux installation worked but couldn't run X. A few Fluxbox menus are in what appears to to be German and I don't know how to move or resize windows (this is probably because it is my first time using Fluxbox and I don't know the keyboard shortcuts, xterm opens too big and partially outside of the screen). Thank you very much for making it so easy to get Linux running. If anyone is unable to get it to boot after running jlinexec, make sure your card is called "Storage Card" not "Storage Card2" or something else, if it says "Storage Card2" and it is the only card you have inserted press the reset button using the stylus and the name should revert back to "Storage Card".
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-06 1:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

can't remember - 2021-07-05 4:15 PM

It works great, first time I get X to start without any problems, my previous Linux installation worked but couldn't run X. A few Fluxbox menus are in what appears to to be German and I don't know how to move or resize windows (this is probably because it is my first time using Fluxbox and I don't know the keyboard shortcuts, xterm opens too big and partially outside of the screen). Thank you very much for making it so easy to get Linux running. If anyone is unable to get it to boot after running jlinexec, make sure your card is called "Storage Card" not "Storage Card2" or something else, if it says "Storage Card2" and it is the only card you have inserted press the reset button using the stylus and the name should revert back to "Storage Card".

Yeah, right after I posted I realized I forgot to tell you to use "alt + W(Word key)" or "alt + X(Excel key)" keys resize terminal to fit the screen...the top row of icons corresponds to the F1 to F11 keys... Stefan set that up. Sorry that's a rather important point. Type mc in terminal for file manager. If you have an ethernet pcmcia card and connect to your router then the date and time will auto update. Try"Leafpad" in xterm to bring up notepad... uses the same alt +WordKey to resize.

Also, ctrl +e(explorer or F1 key), opens workspace 1, ctrl + mail key ==> window 2, etc for F3, F4 equivalent). Type "apm' in terminal to get battery status...

Glad you appreciate how much easier this makes matters... esp for non-linux users/ NOOBies! Yes, I also used the menus (as is) from Stefan on that image... just go to /etc/X11/fluxbox/fluxbox-menu and in root/su mode, use nano to change things. I modified Stefan's menu to pop up with click on screen instead of "alt + click", just seemed more useful to me.

I will fix these things eventually... just let me know. I have lots of tricks and tips for setting up RasPi you really will want to know as well how to configure the wifi/network cards. Enjoy. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by joval 2021-07-06 1:58 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-06 2:49 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Python3.5 is included... just type it out in terminal, etc.
 Top of the page
can't remember Page Icon Posted 2021-07-06 11:32 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

joval - 2021-07-06 9:30 PM
Yeah, right after I posted I realized I forgot to tell you to use "alt + W(Word key)" or "alt + X(Excel key)" keys resize terminal to fit the screen...the top row of icons corresponds to the F1 to F11 keys... Stefan set that up. Sorry that's a rather important point. Type mc in terminal for file manager. If you have an ethernet pcmcia card and connect to your router then the date and time will auto update. Try"Leafpad" in xterm to bring up notepad... uses the same alt +WordKey to resize.

Also, ctrl +e(explorer or F1 key), opens workspace 1, ctrl + mail key ==> window 2, etc for F3, F4 equivalent). Type "apm' in terminal to get battery status...

Thanks for the shortcuts and the file manager. I have an Ethernet and a WiFi card, I was going to use it mostly offline but I may try some SSH later.

joval - 2021-07-06 9:30 PM
Glad you appreciate how much easier this makes matters... esp for non-linux users/ NOOBies! Yes, I also used the menus (as is) from Stefan on that image... just go to /etc/X11/fluxbox/fluxbox-menu and in root/su mode, use nano to change things. I modified Stefan's menu to pop up with click on screen instead of "alt + click", just seemed more useful to me.

I will fix these things eventually... just let me know. I have lots of tricks and tips for setting up RasPi you really will want to know as well how to configure the wifi/network cards. Enjoy. Thanks for the feedback. :D

This is greatly appreciated, it couldn't have been easier. I don't have a RasPi but other users may find those tricks and tips useful. I've been a Debian (but not Devuan) user for a long time, is configuring network cards the same as it is/was in Debian or does Devuan do it in a different way?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-08 9:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

OK just uploaded and now Hosting a 4GB image for J720 with 32Mb... amazingly only 411MB size after compression. Use Win32Imager (free) to"burn" image to SD, Micro SD, or CF card of 4GB or bigger (after unzipping it). Etcher may work directly with the zip file, as is, to burn image. RasPi can burn image too, I think.

You can find it here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

Fixed German in Menu ( but did not list new apps like MC though), uses entire 4Gb, did "apt update" also.

Will work on 32 Gb version soon, used Gparted on RasPi to set up partitions and zip compression seems much improved. I expect future small img file sizes as data itself is small. We'll see.

I also have kernel 4.8.7 working and stable on a J720 with 64Mb ( J728 equivalent) although "apt" program doesn't work (much as with kernel 3.16.on j720 32Mb where "apt" doesn't work). Qemu emulator per Tim0Bo is an easy work-around for both!

So, somebody try it out ... only takes a few minutes to download and to create SD or CF card!

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-08 9:52 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-08 10:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

can't remember - 2021-07-06 3:32 PM

This is greatly appreciated, it couldn't have been easier. I don't have a RasPi but other users may find those tricks and tips useful. I've been a Debian (but not Devuan) user for a long time, is configuring network cards the same as it is/was in Debian or does Devuan do it in a different way?

AFAIK, all Linux versions use same network card set up, certainly Debian. I already modified the /etc/network/interfaces file so most any NE2000 ethernet card will work... so plug what you have in, wire up to a router, in xterm type "ip a" and see hat shows up. Sometimes you need to go into Root (su) and type "dhclient eth0" (or dhclient eth1, etc.), othertimes if you see eth0 is"Down" , can try su mode "ifup eth0" then ip a then dhclient, etc. The are some good tutorials online. Ntp time should auto update on your task bar if working.

wifi cards are more complicated , ntware and Stefan used WPA_supplicant to get WPA going. So check out their posts. Eventually I will include all this in future images. You should enable X-forwarding and ssh into your debian computer... surf the net using firefox or vncviewer... you don't need to install the program on the J720, just on your linux/debian computer with both vncserver and vncviewer installed, ssh with "ssh _XYC4c none you@ipaddress_debian_computer (Firefox -no-remote can be added), etc.

Joval
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 13