x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 3:33 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-04 4:23 PM

Hey, Joval, looks great!

Thanks for the pic.....

Gives me hope....

Checked my interfaces file and it is almost empty......no references to wifi0 or wlan0.

Mark

PS. did you see the pics I posted today in Stefan's thread?.......

Here's what the interfaces file looks like on this/your sd card image (which works well with Ambi54 WPA2) I have no idea if it contributes anything or harms... good for the ethernet card (I think) which works in auto mode.:

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
#source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Just saw your boot photos... yes, exactly what I see too. Always reassuring to see it jump the hurdles! That out of memory line.. haven't seen that except when running apt install command using Kernel 4.8.7... would download packages but then halted on that error.

The 4.8.7 Kernel is included on the Fat32 partition, just rename the zImage to Zimage3, then zImage4 to zImage , reboot... if you want to try it out. Needs TimoB0's qemu emulation as a "apt install" workaround something like systemd-nspawn -D /CF on RasPi terminal CLI.

Hey, the window manager looks cool! Nice pics... IceWM Gonna give it a try at some point. Linux is completely new to me as of 4 months or so ago... I'm only now learning how Fluxbox works, how to resize windows, etc.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-05 3:58 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 4:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the info, Joval...

My file only had the top three lines in it and those as you can see are commented out.

The lines below that look pretty standard.

Regarding the console text photos, you get the same error messages during boot up? That was reason for my posting them.....

Have you noticed much difference with the newer kernel?

As for IceWM, need to post a pic showing how it looks when you tap on the Debian button in lower left corner....it pops up directories by category that you can tap on and see what programs are available. Think WinXP like shell.....

I changed them already....that background image was too much for my ol' eyes....

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 4:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI (Stefan's port) Devuan disk images found here, (Win32Imager and SD Card recommended):

https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-05 4:38 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 5:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-04 8:22 PM

Thanks for the info, Joval...

My file only had the top three lines in it and those as you can see are commented out.

The lines below that look pretty standard.

Regarding the console text photos, you get the same error messages during boot up? That was reason for my posting them.....

Have you noticed much difference with the newer kernel?

As for IceWM, need to post a pic showing how it looks when you tap on the Debian button in lower left corner....it pops up directories by category that you can tap on and see what programs are available. Think WinXP like
shell.....

I changed them already....that background image was too much for my ol' eyes....

Mark

Yes always see fails and errors but of no importance, say looks for wifi card not in slot, ext2 drive instead ext4. Panic is the bad one!

Kernel 4.8.7 can't recognize the Ambicom WL54 wifi card as is, does work with Linksys WPC11 WPA though. Maybe Devuan runs a bit faster with 4.8.7. I'll check videos, think better.

XP interface might be nice to compare to. Appreciate your tips and Linux know how!

joval

posted on a J720/Devuan4.8.7/WPA/RasPi/Firefox
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 5:28 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mjolnir - 2021-08-03 8:00 AM

I use w3m on my J820 in Debian and most of the time lynx from the terminal if I feel like simple, quick browsing in my WSL editions. I usually hit 68k first for news followed occasionally by text.npr
The devuan repositories have lynx, links2, elinks, newsbeuter and w3m: https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/policy-query.html?c=package&q=w3m...
and possibly others along with dillo.

Edit: The repositories also have 'newsboat 2.21-1', a fork of newsbeuter, with the fork currently at version 2.24 released on 20th of June 2021.

Thanks for the education... new ground to explore.

Is there a text mode workaround for connecting to the restaurant/starbucks sites unencrypted but with page redirection requiring sign in?

best regards,

joval

again posted via J720/Devuan4.8.7/WPA/RasPi
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 12:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

joval - 2021-08-05 5:28 AM ...Is there a text mode workaround for connecting to the restaurant/starbucks sites unencrypted but with page redirection requiring sign in?

best regards,

joval

again posted via J720/Devuan4.8.7/WPA/RasPi

Sorry, nothing with which I have direct experience. The web seems to indicate that if you can inspect the source code of the redirect page and get the form ids of the name and password fields you can then use various iterations of 'curl', 'wget' and even 'echo' one-liners to pass data to the page.

You guys are doing great work with the J720 - congrats.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-08 12:29 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI All,

My latest (and best) version of Stefan's Devuan OS is a 16Gb image (zipped to about 900MB download)... available here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

The Menu has been improved (now English), and "mouse" tap corrected. The Xmod key file has been corrected for X-forwarded apps like VNC (although Fluxbox keys haven't been updated... yet.

Standard both WPA2 and WPA wifi options are set up for Ambicom WL54CF (with adapter, gives a slow WPA2 for Lynx text browsing) or prism based Linksys WPC11 or Net gear MA401(both give fast WPA wifi for Firefox or VNCviewer (full desktop emulation when used with RasberryPI 3 or 4, or any Linux variety with X-forwarding or VNC server). This is possible because Stefan discovered the Connman connection manager fix.

It's all pretty much fool proof... just download the image and use Win32Imager or Etcher to "burn" (write) the image to an SDCard or microSDCard. The SD Cards need adapters, which unfortunately are of poor quality about 30% of the $12 red ones fail one way or another, try reseating the SDCard if you encounter errors. CF cards also work, although some are not compatible with J720... Stefan has a workaround posted on his Wiki sight on how to fix that issue in some cases and a list of CF cards that work.

I'm a bit surprised to find the 16GB image is now twice as large as the older 32GB... there are a few new programs , maybe some temp files snuck in there. Will improve this later if possible.

ArchiMark has been using IceWm window manager (replacing Fluxbox) so expect to have that "Windows XP look" available here as well in the near future.

Thanks to Stefan (our very own HPC "Rock Star" for making so much of this possible, and ntware for the X-forwarding and wifi input, Archimark for work on keys and window manager and never being afraid to ask the right questions. Thanks to Jake and Mjonir for insights on using low bandwith text browsers (text.npr.org on your J720 anywhere with Stefan's magical WPA2 Ambicom fix... quite nice). A tip of the hat to our illustrious HPC Guru's Rich... and C:Amie as well, they and the Jlime crew, too for keeping the lights on (was gonna say fire burning... but smoke in the air here again says I shouldn't).

best regards,
Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-08 3:31 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

A reminder: My hosted Devuan images are set with Params.txt having mem=64m like a J728. For stock 32Mb J720, be sure to change it to mem=32m, otherwise it will stall on boot.

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-10 12:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI,

Have had over 70 downloads of devuan images. I would appreciate knowing... whether you could create a working SD or CF card or not. No need to continue hosting if your results don't match mine... which are repeatedly successful (sometimes requires re-inserting cards or adapters or hard reboots)! Thanks in advance.

Remember Prism based wifi cards like Netgear MA 401 or Linksys WPC11 need update to 1.7 or 1.8 version firmware to work for WPA. Ambicom WL should be ver 2.1 for WPA2.

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-10 12:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI,

Have had over 70 downloads of devuan images. I would appreciate knowing... whether you could create a working SD or CF card or not. No need to continue hosting if your results don't match mine... which are repeatedly successful (sometimes requires re-inserting cards or adapters or hard reboots)! Thanks in advance.

Remember Prism based wifi cards like Netgear MA 401 or Linksys WPC11 need update to 1.7 or 1.8 version firmware to work for WPA. Ambicom WL should be ver 2.1 for WPA2.

Also a reminder for those of you with stock J720 with only 32Mb ROM board: the "apt install" doesn't work due to slow + memory restrictions, so do use TimoB0's idea of Qemu emulator on a RasPi or Linux machine as a great, fast workaround.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-10 12:43 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-10 3:12 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark!!

IceWM is Great!! Finally something that competes with WinCE in style and function. And it seems snappier, faster, and so easy to use. Love the cpu monitor, theWindows 95 style dropdown menu, it autoconfigured itself and incorporated the old fluxbox menu programs. Evidently, several themes are included (couldn't download themes package).

The touch screen calibration options, rapid minmax screens resizing, nice taskbar. I've only had it working for a few minutes but I am impressed!

Expect new hosted downloadable images soon! What a quantum leap in appearance, speed, and ease of use.

You hit a home run on this one Mark! Terrific improvement, amigo.

joval

posted on J720/Devuan-IceWM/WPA/RasPi/Firefox hybrid
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-10 3:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Congrats, Joval!

Glad it worked well....

I was pleasantly surprised that IceWM works so well on 720....

De nada, amigo....

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-11 7:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Here are a few screen shots of the IceWM window manager in Devuan on the J720... nice!

Joval

(ice.jpg)

(icewm.jpg)

(icewm2.jpg)

(icewm3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ice.jpg (38KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments icewm.jpg (40KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments icewm2.jpg (40KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments icewm3.jpg (40KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-11 1:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Looks good, Joval!

What theme did you select?

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-11 3:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

More....

(iceu.jpg)

(iceu2.jpg)

(iceu4.jpg)

(iceu5.jpg)

(iceu6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments iceu.jpg (28KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments iceu2.jpg (6KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments iceu4.jpg (26KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments iceu5.jpg (30KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments iceu6.jpg (23KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 10