x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-14 11:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Ah, so, Joval-san.......

Obvious now....but no so, sometimes when you're in the thick of it.....and maybe I just need new glasses (or brain.....)......

So, as noted in post above, I did try booting a second time after changing RAM to 64M....but still same error. So, as you say, must be the kernel issue.....will see if I can install Stefan's kernel and try again.....

And stupid me, yes, forget the 'ctl' after 'connman'.......dang!

Mark
lil' Devuan grasshoppa
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-15 12:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-14 3:08 PM

Ah, so, Joval-san.......

Obvious now....but no so, sometimes when you're in the thick of it.....and maybe I just need new glasses (or brain.....)......

So, as noted in post above, I did try booting a second time after changing RAM to 64M....but still same error. So, as you say, must be the kernel issue.....will see if I can install Stefan's kernel and try again.....

And stupid me, yes, forget the 'ctl' after 'connman'.......dang!

Mark
lil' Devuan grasshoppa

T'is the "Fog of War" m'boy, not to worry, you remain a fine soldier for the cause...dependable, fearless, trustworthy!!

You did get IceWM working (startx GUI) right? But Connman still not showing up, or not recognizing wifi card? I noticed the 4.8.7 Kernel connman would not recognize AmbiWL54 card at all, but ok with Linksys WPC11 as WPA. You may need to reinstall connman, if so.

Your ethernet card should work without connman... mine does. (Suggest you give Lynx a try as a test 'text.npr.org" or 'wickedpedia' via ethernet).

I'm trying to upload latest image: 32Gb with Mirage Image viewer/snapshot and LXTerminal (RasPi stock terminal... scrolls, with colorized text,etc).

Motorhome is back, but now parked down on the street for a quick get away, at least one J720 packed up and ready to roll just in case, too. Smoke in the air here from elsewhere but I hear the firefighting bombers every now and then... they drop that red fire suppressant... saw some of it on the/my hilly Lake Ridge bike path last week.

IceWM continues to awe me! Thanks again!

Joval-san
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-15 12:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Aye, aye, cap'n Joval......

I got IceWM working one time.....but no go since.....

After switching to Stefan's kernel/zimage, I've booted up OK twice.

However, when I try to open X, it hangs each time......

Dang.....

Glad you're enjoying IceWM so much.....

Hope you continue to be safe up there.....and especially your flock of 720's......

Mark
lil' Devuan grasshoppa

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-15 5:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Greetings from DufusVille once again

Oh, my mistake....thought was problem with 32Gb image but had mem=64 on stock J720 with 32MB, so probably ok just needs mem=32. Hang on while I double check it.
==========================================
OK, checked out after mem=32 changed. I have quite a number of J720's about 1/2 have the 64Mb upgrade, 1/2 stock 32Mb... easy to get them mixed up, I have them labelled but sometimes in a hurry overlook things and spend 1/2 hour going around in circles, like now.

FYI, Working on 64Gb and 128 GB images as well.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-15 6:06 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-15 6:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-14 4:32 PM

Aye, aye, cap'n Joval......

I got IceWM working one time.....but no go since.....

After switching to Stefan's kernel/zimage, I've booted up OK twice.

However, when I try to open X, it hangs each time......

Dang.....

Glad you're enjoying IceWM so much.....

Hope you continue to be safe up there.....and especially your flock of 720's......

Mark
lil' Devuan grasshoppa

Mark,

suggest you try one of my 16 or 32Gb images and set mem=32... they should boot ok just a little slower than mem=64. Might reduce memory power demands, also boot with no wifi card as well.(then add ethernet card if get IceWM). Thanks, helps me figure things out (reducing variables).

She's a beauty when behaving right! I know she's got her eye on you, too... wants to "play."

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-15 6:24 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-15 4:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Joval,

OK, will do.....and report back.

The past week or so, I've booted without wifi card inserted.......

Thanks,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-15 6:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-15 8:43 AM

Joval,

OK, will do.....and report back.

The past week or so, I've booted without wifi card inserted.......

Thanks,

Mark

Also suggest you remove main battery and boot with ac plug power only. Also suggest try format sd card in Jornada first, if it works create folder and simple text file. If that works, copy bootloader files to that new fat partition (by removing sdcard or using 2nd card in pcmcia to copy files from. See if it boots up to panic point...cuz ain't got no ext2 (said in my best hillbilly drawl). Might want to try Fat16 on partition 1 format too (I can make a fat16 image for example).Thank you mighty neighbor! We can PM this if desired... no necked thoughts revealed, by lordy!

Incidently, just use your pcmcia slot with adapter if you have one so not using cf slot so much. Also, reminder, Stefan has a fix for low power on his USB fix, just involves underclocking the cpu a tiny bit (should that be an issue... may not be though.)

Joval-billy

Edited by joval 2021-08-15 6:33 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-15 7:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Markus Maximus...

I'll be uploading an 8Gb file (when the uploads start working here) that you might try. It was on an old microSDcard that kept popping up the error message when placed in the J720: "I sure Want to format your storage card". This occurred whether I prepared partitions in windows 10 Minipartitiontool or RasPi linux using Gparted

Finally, I clicked ok to have J720 format it...which it did and I created a simple text message to prove it writable. Then removed from J720 and placed in RasPi via usb adapter, resized Fat32 partition from 8Gb to 3Gb, the other half 4Gb created ext2 partition and swap 130Mb, then extracted my ext2 tar.bz to partition2.

Voila, it now boots up fine into IceWm. I have no idea why the old sdcard acts this way... but perhaps this image may work for you. Uploading to host is crazy slow today, so when you can, give it a try! It might be a while though.

good, better, best,
Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-15 7:04 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-15 9:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Joval,

Thanks for all the advice.....

My most recent experience as noted, was OK with booting up....

Issue was with getting X to load up properly without hanging....

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-16 12:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,

Yeah, sorry, not trying to overwork you... too much just tossing out ideas. I don't know how many cards or adapters you have. Figure you can set one up for both Stefans bootstrap (is that like booting up from one drive?) version and any one of my images... if you have an SD to Pcmcia adapter is easier to boot from that they popping open the CF door, etc.

If you have apt working you could try re-installing IceWM per instructions you sent me earlier. Does ethernet work ? If not can use TimObo qemu emulator on any linux machina, it is fast too. I can send you the link, on the other thread, the "not so happy" one!

FYI, link to images: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

Will stay out of your hair for a while, now.

Joval the "Barber-ian" (Conan's Bro)

Edited by joval 2021-08-16 12:11 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-16 2:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Joval,

No worries.....

I have a 64GB Transcend CF card that I recently installed Devuan via debootstrap method. That just means you install Devuan onto a card via your computer. Then by 'chrooting' (kind of like ssh'g into another computer) into the setup on the card, you can continue to configure setup and install any programs you want to use. Once you're done you exit the chroot, take your card out and put into 720 and Voila! you have complete setup that you customized and configured during install. You can read Stefan's page on this at his site.

http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/doku.php?id=jornada_j720_devuanlinuxpro

While I could use apt to install IceWM (or other apps), I would not be able to use it until I get 'X' working as it is what supports using GUI apps.

Was able to download your new 8GB image, your 64GB image will not download, tried several times....something is funky with link I think or other issue.

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-16 2:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI,

Now hosting Devuan images with IceWM window manager for SD Card (or CF Card) of the following sizes:

1. 8Gb .... 2. 16Gb .... 3. 32Gb .... 4. 64Gb

with Fluxbox widow manager

1. 32Gb

Note: smaller images will work on larger cards (unallocated space will be left over).

All images have been tested by download and burning and shown to work properly in J720 EXCEPT the 64Gb (so let me know if it's OK if your try it).

Remember to change PARAMS.TXT so that mem=32m if stock J720 with 32Mb ROM as is currently set to mem=64m for J728 or J720 with 64Mb ROM board.

Please make a donation to HPCFactor to help keep these goodies available. Thanks in advance!

The IceWm interface is really really great, IMO... esp with RasPi X-forwarding of Firefox or VNC (can take snapshots and save to J720, etc).

Programs include:

IceWM window manager.... outstanding: cpu meter, network meter, Win95 style menu, etc....

Mirage image viewer/snapshot, ....... PCManFM File Manager (gui type), ......... Scrot terminal based screen shot, ....... tigerVNCviewer, ....... Mutt email, .......

Lynx text browser, ...... Netsurf (http: only)browser........ XTerm, UxTerm, ........ LXTerminal-- scrolls, text in colors, ........

Leafpad editor,......... Midnight Commander terminal based file manager, ......... Calibrate Touchscreen app,.........

Telnet, Bash shell,......... Multiple Windows/ workspaces, ........ Font selector, ........ Connman connection manager for WPA/WPA2 wifi, ......

Ethernet, SSh, ...... Samba client for network shares,
..... and more.

Easily view high quality Internet speeds for webpages , images, medium quality Youtube video with sound via cheap $30 RasPi (via ethernet or connman WPA!).

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-16 3:22 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-16 3:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-15 6:19 PM

Joval,

No worries.....

Was able to download your new 8GB image, your 64GB image will not download, tried several times....something is funky with link I think or other issue.

Best,

Mark

Yes, the 64Gb image would not upload for hours, shows up but no downloading....finally cancelled it out and it finally uploaded on 2nd try. I think it's available now. (yes, I just tried and its downloading).

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-16 3:35 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-16 3:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Joval,

Have download 8GB and 64GB files now.

Tried 32GB now, but it's not downloading.....

Go figure.....

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-16 5:59 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,
Thanks for letting me know...

OK, re-uploading 32 Gb image now... OK its fixed and downloading.

FYI 128Gb image now available for download

Find it here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

best regards,amigo

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-16 6:33 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.285 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 29