x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... Next »
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-23 7:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Very cool. joval! nice!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-24 4:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark;

Thanks! Hey, do you have Xmodmap fix for IceWM... need help! Thanks in advance!
I used a RasPi 3B+ quad core, 600(idle) to 13000MHz cpu, has USB 2.0 x4 and ethernet on one end which is the only part sticking out of the docking case. Cost is about $35 and lasts about 4 hours running of typical 4000MAh phone backup/charger battery or 2.5 Amp 5volt wall wart.

The port you see is actually a full size HDMI for 1920 x 1080 video, so the docker base can act as a media server, play youtube music and videos, netflix, prime, runs apps, surf the net, etc if connected to big screen TV and can be controlled with usb mouse/microkeyboard...or...by the J720 wirelessly or tethered ethernet via Devuan.

If you use a RasPi 4.0 it has dual 4K video via 2 microHDMI side ports and has USB 3.0 power connector and ports, requires 20-30% more power to run, gets hotter too, cost $50. I went with lower power 3B+. Either can be battery powered for hours.

Stingraze: Thanks for the positive feedback! How's the Sigmarion doing?

FYI ALL: Presently NOT hosting any Devuan disk images until I update with new connman wifi fix.

The Aretha movie is quite good, recommend it!

joval

from my J720/Devuan/WPA/RasPi hybrid

Edited by joval 2021-08-24 4:13 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-24 6:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Don't think so......as I recall it needed a bit more adjustment to get certain characters (that need fn key with them) to show up when typing.

If I get some time, I can try to fix....

Might have some time tomorrow or Thursday....

Mark
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-25 6:49 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Stingraze: Thanks for the positive feedback! How's the Sigmarion doing?

Sigmarion 3 is going good although no mods with it. I use it while studying, taking notes. I stocked a Sigmarion 3 in good condition, so am planning to sell it on hpcBay soon.

Edited by stingraze 2021-08-25 6:52 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-25 11:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Also, joval, I found this on hackaday so it might help you on the next iteration.

https://hackaday.com/2021/08/24/how-do-you-make-a-raspberry-pi-on-a-...
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-25 5:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Just tried to deal with .Xmodmap....but get error message 'No such file or directory. Weird thing is I see .Xmodmap file in the user directory.

Looked at file permissions and it shows 'root' as owner and group.

Thought maybe it should be user and tried to change it. However, I get same error message.

Very odd......

Mark
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-25 11:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

OK, decided to start fresh....deleted .Xmodmap file and recopied it over to user directory.

Now, it works as before.

Tried editing file a few times to get the left brace to work, but so far no go....just types a 'p' on the screen.....

Very odd....

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-26 6:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

stingraze - 2021-08-25 3:20 AM

Also, joval, I found this on hackaday so it might help you on the next iteration.

https://hackaday.com/2021/08/24/how-do-you-make-a-raspberry-pi-on-a-...

Stingraze:

Great find... many thanks! That Pi4 will be perfect! Should be such an easier fit and just add various connectors. Too bad I just have to wait... won't be available until early next year in "affordable" quantities... so I better order in advance.

Eventually there will come a time when something that powerful will fit into the pcmcia slot... then we will have really arrived! See picture of RasPi3 on SDimm size board

Ok, just added that internal multi-pin-connector back into the J720 base so now charges though the dock base.
ArchiMark:
Working great with WPA to RasPi and lasts hours... with connman, can turn wifi on or off to save power etc. Nice and neat!

Working on RasPi as AP (so no router needed in between)... total mobility then J720+ connmanWPA==> RasPi wifi WPA2==>Any Hot spot/ Anywhere!!

Best regards fellows,

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-08-26 6:54 AM

(PI4_cmt.png)

(CM3plus__44452.1551765175.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PI4_cmt.png (875KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments CM3plus__44452.1551765175.jpg (15KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 12:54 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Glad you liked it.
Yeah, there's even a thing called Turing Pi 1 / 2 which you can make mini clusters out of Compute Modules of Raspberry Pi.

https://turingpi.com/
https://turingpi.com/turing-pi-2-announcement/

I think Turing Pi 2 just got announced. It seems like it brings NVIDIA Jetson to the cluster too as well as Rasbperry Pis.

Things are so cool nowadays.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-30 4:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Joval,

Finally put in your 32MB board....

Boots up fine......

Definitely notice slower performance than 128MB board.....

Tried Ambicom card....here at work with connecting to guest network.....

First time I tried, I got connman message:

connmanct> connect wifi_00107a7560f5_4bxxxxxxxxxx_managed_none 
Connected wifi_00107a7560f5_4bxxxxxxxxxx_managed_none
Agent RequestBrowser wifi_00107a7560f5_4bxxxxxxxxxx_managed_none

connmanctl> Connected (yes/no) ? yes
connmanctl>

I entered 'yes' assuming it connected since I did not get usual error message that I've been getting and knowing that with the guest network using captive portal system, it is a 2 step process to get online. First connect to guest network with wifi, then go to the captive portal page to get online.

I opened netsurf and tried to open the captive portal webpage so that I could get online.

I get the same error message like I always do:

Couldn't resolve host name.

Now I'm wondering if issue is about netsurf browser? Maybe it's not able to handle captive portal?

I did enter 'neverssl.com' in URL field as this usually causes browsers on other computers to redirect to the captivel portal page.

When I do "ip a" it shows "wlan6" and it's UP and working.....

Mark

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-01 3:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-08-30 8:31 AM

Hi Joval,

Finally put in your 32MB board....

Boots up fine......

Definitely notice slower performance than 128MB board.....

Tried Ambicom card....here at work with connecting to guest network.....

First time I tried, I got connman message:

connmanct> connect wifi_00107a7560f5_4bxxxxxxxxxx_managed_none 
Connected wifi_00107a7560f5_4bxxxxxxxxxx_managed_none
Agent RequestBrowser wifi_00107a7560f5_4bxxxxxxxxxx_managed_none

connmanctl> Connected (yes/no) ? yes
connmanctl>

I entered 'yes' assuming it connected since I did not get usual error message that I've been getting and knowing that with the guest network using captive portal system, it is a 2 step process to get online. First connect to guest network with wifi, then go to the captive portal page to get online.

I opened netsurf and tried to open the captive portal webpage so that I could get online.

I get the same error message like I always do:

Couldn't resolve host name.

Now I'm wondering if issue is about netsurf browser? Maybe it's not able to handle captive portal?

I did enter 'neverssl.com' in URL field as this usually causes browsers on other computers to redirect to the captivel portal page.

When I do "ip a" it shows "wlan6" and it's UP and working.....

Mark

Marconi!
That is great news! It booted up fine and Ambicom WL54 connected too!

I think the WL54 is too slow for anything other that Lynx which AFAIK won't handle captive portal verification requests (and Netsurf, or Dillo need a faster wifi connection). Presently, the WL54 connection is about 8Kbs/sec max, whereas MA401 WPA wifi has 300 Kbs/sec and fast tethered ethernet card double that about 600Kbs/sec.

So, try setting up a hotspot on your cell phone with WPA2 or no encryption and once connected use Lynx and connect to text.npr.org or wikipedia.org. Alternatively take it home and try it there to avoid the captive portal issue. Ping google.com, etc. It will work.

Wlan6? works... good, with the MA401 only wlan0 does... maybe renaming to wlan0 is avoidable, perhaps I will investigate.

32Mb ROM is slower yes, and "apt install xyz" commands fail... need to use TimoB0 qemu emulator "spawn-etc" workaround, it works great. 64Mb Rom boards were $20 last year on ebay, but now are $49...still worth it, relatively fast, "apt" works well too.

I think we will eventually figure the issues around the 128Mb Rom board and get it working. Changing the position of the kernel could throw some functions off base, more tweaking needed. Pleased the 32Mb Rom board clarified whether it was your J728 motherboard vs the ROM upgrade.

Me? I'm having fun playing with my "poor man's Cosmo." You really need to get a RasPi 3B+ or 4... so portable, run on battery or wall wart, will get you through captive portal, etc.... and cheap 30-40 bucks. And works well with 32Mb ROM board!! IMO, if cash strapped, buy the RasPi and not the 64Mb ROM board.

best,

joval on his J720/Devuan/WPA/RasPi device

Edited by joval 2021-09-01 3:29 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-01 11:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Joval,

Yes, I wondered about the Ambicom card speed/power as well....will be good to try one of the other cards...to bad the Aironet 350 card is not working with WPA, as I have one....oh well.....

Will try connecting with Ambicom card to my home network tonight.....you would think it should connect.....

Not sure what you refer to about 128MB board issues....it does boot up your Devuan image file OK.....just needed a working SD-CF adapter, which you provided.....

As for RaspPi.....no issue about spending the $'s for one......but just seems like it adds more bulk to the setup + wall wort (unless you use batteries)....

and do I need to a custom mod to the J720 to connect it ?

Thanks,

Mark

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 4:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Mark,

Presently I use the WPA wifi card to connect to home router which connects to RasPi, in principle it is capable of connecting to RasPi directly as AP, but still working that out. In time may get Aironet 350 working but looks dicey with old drivers and "make" kernel requirements... perhaps in time... beyond my ability now. Ethernet to RasPi is direct, fastest, and most versatile, take anywhere and log on (but the dongle and tether are a small issue).

Perhaps the connection problems you had with the 128 Rom board are not inherent, just connman not configured right, can't say. But same image used for it and 32Rom board and one doesn't connect and the other does says something is different, IMO. I just wanted you to get connected!!

Raspi 3b+ is quite small, easily fits in shirt pocket with battery (4 hours typical , etc), easily tethered and connects anywhere. The combo is "no Cosmo", but neither is it so Pricey... ie, you don't have to worry about it "walking off" or dropping it, J720 :they're tough, great for email, blogging etc. No reliability problems either. Yes, presently it's a bit of a "game" to get it to boot up to iceWM, and firefox, but eventually scripts will take care of that. AND, it is a hobby after all! Besides, it's a great way to learn Linux/Debian (devuan... all the same). Someday I will move onto WinCE API's (are you listening C:Amie?)

I could probably sell a J720 dual boot WinCE/ Devuan with WPA wifi , using RasPi for bluetooth, USB, high speed WPA2 5Ghz wifi (HDMI too for media center option ala Roku) having RasPi hidden with battery in included Docking Base for about $200 -$250 ($300 tops if RasPi4, 4k dual hdmi, usb 3.0), all charged by standard J720 power supply OR RasPi 5volt charger wall wart... (with serial cable too if desired). Think about it... Mega fire power!!Full Photon Torpedos!

Cuz, Ladies and Gentlemen, that's where I'm headed! Anyone interested??? (Have you seen the prices on some of the older devices or a J720 on Ebay... if available??? Says something)!!

Later images will include "rsync" so files downloaded from web, etc and saved to RasPi can be easily transferred to J720 Fat 32 partition and viewed in WinCE mode with A1Reader... so battery lasts weeks if laying around ignored. Best of both worlds, both having good points. Just remove the J720 from docking base and walk off , wear bluetooth earbuds and listen to music. Thus: "poor man's Cosmo"...and maybe even more !

Enough lecturing...my friend,

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-09-02 4:37 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 5:31 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-09-01 8:05 PM

Hi Mark,

Presently I use the WPA wifi card to connect to home router which connects to RasPi, in principle it is capable of connecting to RasPi directly as AP, but still working that out.

OK, understand now.....thanks.

In time may get Aironet 350 working but looks dicey with old drivers and "make" kernel requirements... perhaps in time... beyond my ability now.

Understand....no worries, probably best to get Linksys card as you suggested.

Ethernet to RasPi is direct, fastest, and most versatile, take anywhere and log on (but the dongle and tether are a small issue).

Makes sense now that you've described it.

Perhaps the connection problems you had with the 128 Rom board are not inherent, just connman not configured right, can't say. But same image used for it and 32Rom board and one doesn't connect and the other does says something is different, IMO. I just wanted you to get connected!!

Understand.....

Just tried connecting to my home network.....with 720 and 32MB board and Ambicom card.....

No go.....same error message as when I tried with 720 and 128 board.......

So, don't think the board is an issue with wifi.

Raspi 3b+ is quite small, easily fits in shirt pocket with battery (4 hours typical , etc), easily tethered and connects anywhere. The combo is "no Cosmo", but neither is it so Pricey... ie, you don't have to worry about it "walking off" or dropping it, J720 :they're tough, great for email, blogging etc. No reliability problems either. Yes, presently it's a bit of a "game" to get it to boot up to iceWM, and firefox, but eventually scripts will take care of that. AND, it is a hobby after all! Besides, it's a great way to learn Linux/Debian (devuan... all the same). Someday I will move onto WinCE API's (are you listening C:Amie?)

Yes, definitely enjoy the challenges of doing all this....otherwise, wouldn't be doing it.

I could probably sell a J720 dual boot WinCE/ Devuan with WPA wifi , bluetooth, and RasPi hidden with battery in included Docking Base for about $200 -$250, all charged by standard J720 power supply OR RasPi 5volt charger wall wart... (with serial cable too if desired). Have you seen the prices on some of the older devices or a J720 on Ebay... if available??? Says something!!

Later images will include "rsync" so files downloaded from web, etc and saved to RasPi can be easily transferred to J720 Fat 32 partition and viewed in WInCE mode with A1Reader... so battery lasts weeks if laying around ignored. Best of both worlds, both having good points. Just remove the J720 from docking base and walk off , wear bluetooth earbuds and listen to music. Thus: "poor man's Cosmo."

Enough lecturing...my friend,

Joval

Nice to hear your enthusiasm for this, Joval......

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 4:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,
Connman set up is a bit complicated, will review later in another thread

Suggest you try this in root:

ip a -- note if adapter shows as wlan1, or 2, etc after removing and reinsert wifi card, if not wlan0 then:

/etc/init.d/connman stop will stop connman (note init.d don't overlook .d part )

then enter:

ip link set wlanx name wlan0 (where x is a number other than 0... this renames say wlan4 to wlan0 )

then enter

/etc/init.d/connman start to restart connman

then the usual /usr/sbin/connmannctl, wifi enable/scan wifi/services/agent on/connect space tab/ etc...you know this, it will ask for passcode, etc.

If is says connected wifixxxyyyxx, then you are connected. ping google.com or your router ip.

if tries to connect but refuses, recheck ip a and wlanx name.

there is more re: nano /var/lib/connman/settings and change all card names to wlan0 so connects automatically on reboot. (go to empty line between listed cards and hit backspace is easiest way to find card name).

I will explain in greater detail later. Keep the faith!

joval again on his trusty J720/Devuan/WPA/RasPi/VNC hybrid
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.226 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10