x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-07 6:07 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-09-03 10:29 PM

Markus,

just installed xapm==> now have floating battery meter on top of all apps on all workspaces!! So can monitor battery status now.... great!!! Really needed that, too.

FYI figured out why we are having wlanx wifi id issue. When I first created the working connman image I booted it up and tried several different wifi cards, not knowing each one would be named sequentially, so connman / devuan named them wlan0, wlan1,wlan2,wlan3,wlan4. I used/saved that image in Win32imager and hosted it for everyone to download without deleting those wifi card listings, When you'all burned the image to your sd cards and then plug in you wifi card, it automatically gets named wlan5 or wlan6 which screws up connman as it only connects with wlan0 name.

Here is the simple fix: in superuser/root (su) cd into "/var/lib/connman" and then ls -a list files(directories actually).... you will see many "wifi_macaddress_ssid-hex_psk" entries(directories). Delete them all with "rm wifi_* -R"!!! That's: rm wifi_* -R . Then start /usr/sbin/connmanctl and re-configure your wifi card with enable wifi, scan wifi , services, agent on, connect space tab, etc. Once connected it will ask for password/phrase and will connect and create new ID file in /var/lib/connman folder as wlan0!

I should have deleted those conflicting file before I made the hosted file... and will do so in later images so this shouldn't happen and renaming won't be required ( unless you swap out multiple wifi cards as I did... in which case do the 70persisent-rules editing all names to wlan0 as discussed above). This should fix the problem... just delete those old wifi ID's in var/lib/connman.

Things are really getting exciting now!!!

best regards,

joval ---on the J720/Duvean/WPAwifi/RasPi/Firefox hybrid uno mas

Hi Joval,

Did what you instructed....

Unfortunately, same problem.....won't connect to my home network....

Get same error message as before....

Connect-failed 

Agent request cancelled by ConnMan

So it goes....

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-07 8:39 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI All,

Now hosting new Auto-Login image that boots directly into Ice Window Manager...auto-login, auto-startx etc. Name is DevJ7_31Gb_AutoIceWM_WPA_VNC_RS (3).zip Find it here (with older images too ):

https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

Let me know if it works!

Joval
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-08 3:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Joval,

Will try your new image file soon...

Meanwhile, think it's time to pick up either the Linksys or Netgear wifi card.....

Which one should I get?

Thanks,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-09 3:52 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-09-08 7:29 AM

Hi Joval,

Will try your new image file soon...

Meanwhile, think it's time to pick up either the Linksys or Netgear wifi card.....

Which one should I get?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I just purchased several Linksys WPC11 which were I found on Ebay for about $12 each. I am planning on sending you one after I upgrade the firmware (I have an old laptop with a pcmcia slot and windows XP, so I can easily upgrade them with WinUpdate program with the secondary s000xyz firmware file and NOT brick them as I mentioned earlier. WinUpdate program is very easy, unlike the linux firmware ?nightmare, so long as one never updates the primary p000xyz files==> brick-0-ville)!

So hold on, and I'll send you one soon and save you the firmware upgrade hassle, O.K?

Connman works great with the WPC11 in WPA mode, connects easily and boots up connected once you run thru connmanctl, and shows up on IceWM on taskbar as network meter.

Unfortunately, the Ambicom WL54 I think needs a different driver or it isn't configured right, even though WPA2 is possible, the data rate is crippled, and the driver doesn't seem to control it with the disable wifi or enable wifi commands...and it doesn't show on IceWM taskbar... it needs more work.

I didn't see many Netgear MA401 cards, and they were in the $25 range anyway. Linksys are better built/sturdier too.

Best regards,

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-09 4:10 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-09-06 10:07 PM

Hi Joval,

Did what you instructed....

Unfortunately, same problem.....won't connect to my home network....

Get same error message as before....

Connect-failed 

Agent request cancelled by ConnMan

So it goes....

Mark

Suggestions:

nano into /var/lib/connman and delete wifi card profiles with "rm wifi_* -R"

Next stop connman with (in root): /etc/init.d/connman stop
Next start connman with : /etc/init.d/connman start

Eject the wifi card and then plug it back in

Next configure new card ID within : /usr/sbin/connman (you know the rest)

should connect, if not recycle through connman stop/start.

Also, many times the first time you try to connect it is rejected but connects on second try, so try at least 2 times to connect after agent on... connect space tab, etc.

lastly, nano into /var/lib/connman/settings and add an entry for home wifi, ssid hex, gateway, etc. I haven't covered this yet... look it up in the connman wiki. I'll go over it later sometime.

This all sounds complicated, but once you get it configured and working it will be connected on boot up, never need to fuss with it again IMO, for most part. Connman is Great!

Please read my previous post... I'll be sending you a Linksys WPC11 card with firmware upgrade... the WPA cards really help with getting connman configured right! Not so much the Ambicom WL54, IMO.

buenas suerte,

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-09-09 4:14 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-09 4:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Joval,

Holding on and standing by......

Muchas Gracias,

Mark
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-09-10 12:03 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Joval,

thank you very much, this is really excellent work! I just downloaded the 64GB variant and dd'ed it to my compact flash card and soon after that I'm in business. Couldn't be easier :-)

Quick question: Did the keymaps I shared earlier make it into the image? Didn't see them at first glance, no problem if not; can copy them quickly

On another note, do I need a different jlinexec for the 128mb modded machine? When I set mem=128 in the params.txt it wouldn't boot claiming it can't find the root drive

Thanks again
Timo
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 1:25 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-09-10 4:03 AM

Hi Joval,

thank you very much, this is really excellent work! I just downloaded the 64GB variant and dd'ed it to my compact flash card and soon after that I'm in business. Couldn't be easier :-)

Quick question: Did the keymaps I shared earlier make it into the image? Didn't see them at first glance, no problem if not; can copy them quickly

On another note, do I need a different jlinexec for the 128mb modded machine? When I set mem=128 in the params.txt it wouldn't boot claiming it can't find the root drive

Thanks again
Timo

Hi Timo! Great to hear from you and have your feedback!

Yes, you need Stefan's special 128MB bootloader ... I did include it on some recent images... check the fat32 partition... otherwise you can find it here mid page link on Stefan's Jornada wiki; http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/doku.php?id=jornada_j720:memory_upgrade. Let me know if it works ok, esp any network cards connecting. ADDENDUM: I just attached it as Jlinex128.exe below

And let me thank you once again for the Qemu emulator suggestion for the J720... I never could get apt install to work on the J720 with 32Mb ROM... but your systemd-spawn etc workaround was perfect and fast on the RasPi. It's a lifesaver for those with only 32Mb ROM, really!

Any help on the key maps would be much appreciated... ArchiMark introduced me to the IceWM which is an outstanding improvement... but I don't know a thing about key maps for IceWM vs fluxbox.

Wifi cards are working well with connman WPA. FYI, newest 31 Gb image is auto login and also includes Rsync for ssh file transfer (works great with RasPI).

Glad you like the ease of it! My wife says she's a "Jornada Widow" cuz I spend so much time on perfecting the Devuan installation process!

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-09-11 1:41 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments jlinexec128.exe (9KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 2:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-09-08 8:20 PM

Hi Joval,

Holding on and standing by......

Muchas Gracias,

Mark

OK, received the WPC11 and did the firmware upgrade to ver 1.8, tested it out... working great... packaged up and sent it off. May arrive tomorrow. Have fun!

Joval
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 2:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-09-10 5:25 PM

timob0 - 2021-09-10 4:03 AM

Hi Joval,

[Snip.....]

[Snip.....]

Thanks again
Timo

Hi Timo! Great to hear from you and have your feedback!

[Snip.....]

Any help on the key maps would be much appreciated... ArchiMark introduced me to the IceWM which is an outstanding improvement... but I don't know a thing about key maps for IceWM vs fluxbox.

[Snip.....]

Joval

We have working keymap for console (English keyboard).

We have working keymap for X (for English keyboard), EXCEPT for one character, the ' } ' right curly bracket character (that needs Fn key press too).
I've made several attempts to get it working, but so far, no go........when I get some free time I will try again to figure it out.

Best,

Mark

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 2:34 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark

We have working keymap for console (English keyboard).

We have working keymap for X (for English keyboard), EXCEPT for one character, the ' } ' right curly bracket character (that needs Fn key press too).
I've made several attempts to get it working, but so far, no go........when I get some free time I will try again to figure it out.

Best,

Mark

Great Mark... please direct me or walk me through proper set up... so I can include them in the next image update!

Joval
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 3:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sure.....

Console Map File:

us-j720-key.map

Put in /etc directory in Devuan.

Then from console do:

$ loadkeys etc/us-j720-key.map

* To use loadkeys, you need to have installed the 'kbd' package.
* Would be good, Joval if you include it in your image file to save some steps.

'X' Map File:

If you don't have it copied to your Devuan setup, then name it 'Xmodmap' and copy to Devuan to:

Your home folder /home/insertyourusername/Xmodmap

Then rename it to .Xmodmap

End X with crtl+alt+del and start X again with startx from console.

If you need the files, I can upload them later....

Best,

Mark

Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 2:01 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Joval,

please find the german keymaps (both console and X) attached in the tgz file. Same instructions apply as shared in Marks post. Indeed, if the kbd package could be included in the image that would be great.

Re. the bootloader, I found it on Stefans Wiki and copied to the FAT partition, maybe we can included that one too in a future image version.

In noticed you made several images for different CF card sizes. I believe there is a way to resize partitions from inside the running Linux similar to how the initial config script on the RPi works. If we can figure out how to script it I think it would save you the work for creating different images. I'll try it out with the most recent image you uploaded and report back.
Edit:
Just noticed that there may be an issue with the download, the first two images come as 0 Bytes, third one is working:
devj720_32Gb_Flux-WPA.zip --> 0 Bytes
DevJ7_31Gb_AutoIceWM_WPA --> 0 Bytes
DJ7_08Gb_IceWMXSM.zip ---> 398 MB

Kind regards
Timo

Edited by timob0 2021-09-11 2:11 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments de-keymaps.tgz (10KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 2:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

timob0 - 2021-09-11 11:01 PM
In noticed you made several images for different CF card sizes. I believe there is a way to resize partitions from inside the running Linux similar to how the initial config script on the RPi works. If we can figure out how to script it I think it would save you the work for creating different images. I'll try it out with the most recent image you uploaded and report back.

If you can somehow compile / run parted / gparted you can do that...

Reference:
https://www.appservgrid.com/paw92/index.php/2019/04/01/8-linux-parte...
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 4:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

Thanks for the pointers on keymaps, etc... will test and include in future images... with kbd package. Reminder on stock J720 with 32MB ROM the "apt" installer doesn't have enough memory to work, very slow and fails (at least in fluxbox image...). Timo's qemu emulator works great on RasPi and will install what you want.

My hosting site is less than perfect... wondering if the "0" bites is because it's overloaded and not downloading. Saturdays uploading has been very slow. Will look into and correct (could be related to running a router behind a router), but it should be there around 400MB. There is a lot of downloading happening since Timo verified images have much to offer. Thanks again!

I didn't know anything about hosting sites chose that one by chance, later read less than ideal reviews.... so if you know of a better one (free) please point me in the right direction and I will host from both sites, etc.

Yes, I finally concluded using gparted (on RasPi 3 or 4 ) to resize the ext2 partition worked best, easiest using a tar image of the ext2 devuan partition... so the larger images have same size Fat32 (which I enlarged to about 12GB so WinCe had plenty of room for files downloaded in Devuan mode, also save WinCE backup file(s) here for dual boot. I divided the disk into about 40% Fat32 and 60% Devuan on smaller images, with majority of disk >80% devuan on larger images(as I recall). Enjoy!

Mark...

I just tried the aironet 350(with WPA firmware upgrade) and noticed it responds to connmanctl enable/disable wifi, scan wifi, services and tries to connect (but fails)... so there is hope (ironic, now that I sent you the Linksys wifi card with WPA firmware upgrade), if someone knows how to install the Cisco ACU app which appears necessary for connection, it might be the solution. Stefan, thanks again, for including the aironet drivers!

Best regards,

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-09-11 4:48 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 12