x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next »
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 5:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Timo,

Did my hosted image(s) boot up and function properly with your 128 ROM board? ArchiMark had some protracted difficulties until he remembered the special 128 bootloader... which is necessary because Stefan had to change the location of the kernel ( to avoid/simplify/fix conflicts).
Thanks in advance.

All others,

If you are using/burning your downloaded image to an SD or microSD card Do Not buy the RED SD card to CF card adapter $12 on Amazon or Ebay They are "junk" as the last 3 that I purchased did not work, and ArchiMark had 2 that failed!! That's 5 out 5 recently,( vs "only" 30% that failed last year)! I recommend the better quality black "Digigear" brand for several dollars more. They will spare you from hours of wasted time and frustration, IMO. ArchiMark will agree!

Joval
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 5:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You mean this?
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 7:46 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Joval, yes the image booted on the 128m Jornada straight away with mem=32m in params.txt
When I changed it to 128m it got a kernel panic until I found and used the modified bootloader from Stefans page.

-timo
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 8:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-09-11 8:27 AM

Hi All!

Thanks for the pointers on keymaps, etc... will test and include in future images... with kbd package. Reminder on stock J720 with 32MB ROM the "apt" installer doesn't have enough memory to work, very slow and fails (at least in fluxbox image...). Timo's qemu emulator works great on RasPi and will install what you want.

[Snip....]

Mark...

I just tried the aironet 350(with WPA firmware upgrade) and noticed it responds to connmanctl enable/disable wifi, scan wifi, services and tries to connect (but fails)... so there is hope (ironic, now that I sent you the Linksys wifi card with WPA firmware upgrade), if someone knows how to install the Cisco ACU app which appears necessary for connection, it might be the solution. Stefan, thanks again, for including the aironet drivers!

Best regards,

Joval

Hi Joval,

Yes, same thing happened to me after doing firmware upgrade......

As mentioned previously, ntware had same experience with 350....I had misunderstood one of his posts on another thread that he had gotten card to work with WPA. But he confirmed to me that it never connected to WPA even with firmware upgrade.

But who knows, maybe Joval, the magnificent can do his magic on the card......

Best regards,

Mark
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 8:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-09-11 9:29 AM

Timo,

Did my hosted image(s) boot up and function properly with your 128 ROM board? ArchiMark had some protracted difficulties until he remembered the special 128 bootloader... which is necessary because Stefan had to change the location of the kernel ( to avoid/simplify/fix conflicts).
Thanks in advance.

All others,

If you are using/burning your downloaded image to an SD or microSD card Do Not buy the RED SD card to CF card adapter $12 on Amazon or Ebay They are "junk" as the last 3 that I purchased did not work, and ArchiMark had 2 that failed!! That's 5 out 5 recently,( vs "only" 30% that failed last year)! I recommend the better quality black "Digigear" brand for several dollars more. They will spare you from hours of wasted time and frustration, IMO. ArchiMark will agree!

Joval

+10000000000

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-11 8:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-09-11 11:46 AM

Hi Joval, yes the image booted on the 128m Jornada straight away with mem=32m in params.txt
When I changed it to 128m it got a kernel panic until I found and used the modified bootloader from Stefans page.

-timo

Timo, That is great news the 128Mb board is working well ! Congrats to Stefan working that one out!

I fixed/reloaded the Autologin auto startx download image so now it's working too. I just deleted the fluxbox image for the present.

Joval
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-09-12 12:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

joval - 2021-09-12 1:27 AM

Yes, I finally concluded using gparted (on RasPi 3 or 4 ) to resize the ext2 partition worked best, easiest using a tar image of the ext2 devuan partition... so the larger images have same size Fat32 (which I enlarged to about 12GB so WinCe had plenty of room for files downloaded in Devuan mode, also save WinCE backup file(s) here for dual boot. I divided the disk into about 40% Fat32 and 60% Devuan on smaller images, with majority of disk >80% devuan on larger images(as I recall). Enjoy!

Yeah, I know you were using Raspberry Pi 3 / 4 for gparted. What I meant was maybe you can get gparted / parted working on the Jornada 720 Linux and gparted / parted in the Jornada 720 itself.

Source for parted etc.:
https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/

When I have time, I will try to boot your Linux image on my Japanese Jornada 720.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2021-09-12 12:58 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-12 11:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2021-09-11 9:46 AM

You mean this?

C:Amie: Yes, thanks, that's what I'm currently using... much better build quality and no defective ones to date.

So, are you going to try out one of the Devuan images?

Best,

Joval

(dang-nabbit... another small fire just north of us, but wind blowing away from us so OK, they're snuffing it out now)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-12 11:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

stingraze - 2021-09-11 4:50 PM

Yeah, I know you were using Raspberry Pi 3 / 4 for gparted. What I meant was maybe you can get gparted / parted working on the Jornada 720 Linux and gparted / parted in the Jornada 720 itself.

Source for parted etc.:
https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/

When I have time, I will try to boot your Linux image on my Japanese Jornada 720.

-stingraze

Well, consider that I run the GUI based G-parted on a RasPI with Quad-core 1.3 GHz processor and it still takes 10 minutes to create an ext2 partition... that.. vs Jornada720 with what... 204 Mhz single core... gonna take a heck of a lot longer if ever (maybe the age of the universe... or little less).

The easiest solution would be to create ANOTHER partition, either ext2 or Fat32 (or both) on the remaining unallocated space on the larger sd/cf card. Then just create a mount point like /cf or /sd for access. In WinCE both Fat32 partitions are visible/accessible as I recall... I'll check it out.

Thanks for trying out a devuan disk image... appreciate any feedback.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-09-13 12:34 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-13 12:01 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-09-10 4:03 AM

Hi Joval,

thank you very much, this is really excellent work! I just downloaded the 64GB variant and dd'ed it to my compact flash card and soon after that I'm in business. Couldn't be easier :-)

Quick question: Did the keymaps I shared earlier make it into the image? Didn't see them at first glance, no problem if not; can copy them quickly

On another note, do I need a different jlinexec for the 128mb modded machine? When I set mem=128 in the params.txt it wouldn't boot claiming it can't find the root drive

Thanks again
Timo

Timo, ArchiMark: Just installed kbd and will use your directions on keymaps fix... to be in next image. Anyone try the AutoLoginStartx yet? Let me know if so. Takes 2min 10 sec for IceWm to completely boot up, will work on autologin ssh to RasPI "icon" and AutoLXTerminal on boot.

I plan on including the 128Mb ROM Bootloader, as well as the 4.8.7 zImage/kernel

Sorry, the Menu is a bit messy and lacks entry for "xapm" that monitors battery, and "scrot" screen capture to name 2. Any clues on how to set that up (Mark?) or clean it up... welcomed.

Thanks guys!

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-09-13 12:06 AM
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-09-13 11:26 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Joval,

I can confirm the "DevJ7_31Gb_AutoIceWM_WPA_VNC_RS.zip" (date Sept 11) image does work. I added the 128M bootloader and set mem=128m, works without issues. I use a Transcend 64GB CF card and a USB/IDE/CF-Adapter contraption to "burn" the image. In case you are on Linux, unzip and dd can be piped together so you don't need to decompress the image if you're tight on diskspace:
unzip -p | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M progress=status 
replace sdX with the memory card device -- BE CAREFUL - dd just dumps data where you tell it to.

Once burned, I added the following packages to the card using QEMU on the desktop:

apt-get install kbd
apt-get install gparted
apt-get install whiptail

Then booted the card on the Jornada and resized the root partition to use the full 64GB capacity. The gparted package contains the commandline "parted" which I used:

Login as root, then do
swapoff -a                          -- turns off swap 
parted -- launches the partition editor

In parted, do:
unit MB -- switches to megabyte display
print -- shows the partition table
rm 3 -- deletes swap partition
resizepart 2 -256M -- resizes the 2nd partition to the cards
-- capacity minus 256M
mkpart primary linux-swap -256 -0 -- creates swap in the last 256MB of the card
quit -- leave parted

mkswap /dev/hda3 -- creates the swap filesystem
swapon -a -- turn swapping on

resize2fs /dev/hda2 -- resizes the filesystem to the new capacity of hda2

df -BM -- convince yourself of the new sizes

The parted commands take a few seconds to execute on the Jornada, the only bit taking maybe 3-4 minutes is the resize2fs command which does the actual filesystem modification.
So I think with this you could resort to creating an image with minimal needed size, maybe 8GB is enough? If you include gparted, people can resize to the capacity of their cards and spare you the work of hosting multiple images.
To make this easier, my suggestion would be to change the order of partitions from current:
DOS, root, swap
to
DOS, swap, root
because then the steps of removing and re-creating swap are not needed.

Also I have another suggestion which is due to my personal preference of working on the commandline: Make the startx part optional. Not sure how that's done, maybe its a rc script?

I'm currently investigating how to put together something like raspi-config for the jornada (that's what the whiptail package is for). First I'd work on the filesystem resizing and adding a customer user as that's covered in the raspi-config already and should be easy to adapt.

Kind regards
Timo

Edited by timob0 2021-09-13 11:29 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-09-13 12:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

joval - 2021-09-12 11:41 PM

You mean this?

C:Amie: Yes, thanks, that's what I'm currently using... much better build quality and no defective ones to date.

Best,

Joval

(dang-nabbit... another small fire just north of us, but wind blowing away from us so OK, they're snuffing it out now)
My lack of a working 700 series makes it rather prohibitive .
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-13 8:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-09-13 3:26 AM

Hi Joval,

I can confirm the "DevJ7_31Gb_AutoIceWM_WPA_VNC_RS.zip" (date Sept 11) image does work. I added the 128M bootloader and set mem=128m, works without issues. I use a Transcend 64GB CF card and a USB/IDE/CF-Adapter contraption to "burn" the image. In case you are on Linux, unzip and dd can be piped together so you don't need to decompress the image if you're tight on diskspace:
unzip -p | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M progress=status 
replace sdX with the memory card device -- BE CAREFUL - dd just dumps data where you tell it to.

Once burned, I added the following packages to the card using QEMU on the desktop:

apt-get install kbd
apt-get install gparted
apt-get install whiptail

Then booted the card on the Jornada and resized the root partition to use the full 64GB capacity. The gparted package contains the commandline "parted" which I used:

Login as root, then do
swapoff -a                          -- turns off swap 
parted -- launches the partition editor

In parted, do:
unit MB -- switches to megabyte display
print -- shows the partition table
rm 3 -- deletes swap partition
resizepart 2 -256M -- resizes the 2nd partition to the cards
-- capacity minus 256M
mkpart primary linux-swap -256 -0 -- creates swap in the last 256MB of the card
quit -- leave parted

mkswap /dev/hda3 -- creates the swap filesystem
swapon -a -- turn swapping on

resize2fs /dev/hda2 -- resizes the filesystem to the new capacity of hda2

df -BM -- convince yourself of the new sizes

The parted commands take a few seconds to execute on the Jornada, the only bit taking maybe 3-4 minutes is the resize2fs command which does the actual filesystem modification.
So I think with this you could resort to creating an image with minimal needed size, maybe 8GB is enough? If you include gparted, people can resize to the capacity of their cards and spare you the work of hosting multiple images.
To make this easier, my suggestion would be to change the order of partitions from current:
DOS, root, swap
to
DOS, swap, root
because then the steps of removing and re-creating swap are not needed.

Also I have another suggestion which is due to my personal preference of working on the commandline: Make the startx part optional. Not sure how that's done, maybe its a rc script?

I'm currently investigating how to put together something like raspi-config for the jornada (that's what the whiptail package is for). First I'd work on the filesystem resizing and adding a customer user as that's covered in the raspi-config already and should be easy to adapt.

Kind regards
Timo

Hi Timo,

Thanks so much for your help on this matter... maxing out the CF/SD card... improving the image, and wonderfully great on details. No need to decompress! terrific. So great it works so well with 128Mb, did you make or buy yours? I will have to review in greater detail later. yes, minimal size image with resize would be great esp for updating images. You really have a lot of great ideas Timo! Much appreciated too.

best,
Joval

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-09-13 8:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-09-12 3:41 PM

You mean this?

Best,

Joval

FYI A little distracted now, just found out that "small fire" day yesterday a few miles north burned down the very nice home of a good friend of mine as it invaded/decimated his gated community near Lake Mendocino... bummer. He told me months ago he was worried about it, he was out on the coast and hurried home but it was too late!! See photo from news mid way red corvette, etc.: https://seattle.cbslocal.com/video/5988486-wildfires-hopkins-fire-bu...

Joval

(KfIRE.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments KfIRE.png (1478KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-13 9:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-09-12 4:01 PM

[Snip....]

Sorry, the Menu is a bit messy and lacks entry for "xapm" that monitors battery, and "scrot" screen capture to name 2. Any clues on how to set that up (Mark?) or clean it up... welcomed.

Thanks guys!

Joval

Hi Joval,

Did you try checking entries after rebooting or logging out and logging back in?

It might update entries after that.....but if not then need to do it manually.

Think it would be like this:

$ cd /home/user  
$ ls -al (see if there's a '.icewm file there, if so, do:
# nano .icewm

In the .icewm file, add entries for the programs to show up in menu:

prog xapm xapm xapm

prog scrot scrot scrot

For more info look at iceWM FAQ page and icewm-menu man page.

https://ice-wm.org/FAQ/

https://ice-wm.org/man/icewm-menu

HTH,

Mark
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 28