x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-02 2:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Blimey, I can feel that working hard. Takes me back to when I was playing with the BOCHS alpha for the first time (the pain, the pain, the pain of it all...)
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-04 5:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yep, painfully slow ;-)

But, I've compiled a new version with some "hidden" features activated - dynamic recompile and optimizing for the strongarm cpu, so wolf3d is almost playable ;-) and space quest definitely is ...

Kind regards
Timo
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 3:22 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for creating these setup!

I tried the 8 GB one and it works great; except that when you run X server, the overall UI is quite large so it goes beyond the main screen (was not able to find the preferences to change the scale of the ui; I assume that there is no UI scaling setting?). Also the on-off button does not seem to put the device to "sleep"; I read somewhere in the thread that it should turn off PCMCIA port and the screen, but it does not do that on my 720.

Another issue is that the screen goes totally white when you restart; and I need to remove the backup battery and the main battery to fix the issue. Is there a workaround for that? Thanks!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 4:54 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

marko - 2021-10-23 7:22 PM

Thanks for creating these setup!

I tried the 8 GB one and it works great; except that when you run X server, the overall UI is quite large so it goes beyond the main screen (was not able to find the preferences to change the scale of the ui; I assume that there is no UI scaling setting?). Also the on-off button does not seem to put the device to "sleep"; I read somewhere in the thread that it should turn off PCMCIA port and the screen, but it does not do that on my 720.

Another issue is that the screen goes totally white when you restart; and I need to remove the backup battery and the main battery to fix the issue. Is there a workaround for that? Thanks!

Welcome to the Devuan 720 club......

You need hold the Alt key and then drag the window with stylus down and to the left a bit to see the icons for adjusting the window to fit the display.

You can't put device to sleep. However, the display will go to sleep after a bit.

After you shutdown Devuan, then you have to remove both batteries. After about 5 minutes, you can put back the batteries and 720 will restart properly. Then you have go through the setup screens and calibration. Then you will get back to WinCE desktop. From there you can either use WinCE or start up Devuan again.

HTH,

Mark
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 8:31 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks Mark

I really enjoyed giving it a try. There is also python 2.7, which blew my mind (wondering if python3 would run on it); although I was not sure if the white screen issue was normal or not.

I assume there is no work around then; which is unfortunate since I have to wait 5 minutes between reboots if I need to reboot directly into Linux. I assume everyone leave their device on all the time and plug it into the wall brick and never restart/shut it down? I wonder if that is healthy for the device, but I assume the answer is yes

When I tried to push the power button, I got a barrage of print in console about some sort of error message; I will take a screenshot to show the issue. The screen never turned off; it was just printing over and over that string on screen, until I killed the process.

Thanks for the trick for viewing the window gadgets! Would a smaller font make the UI smaller or the size of the ui is independent from the font size?

Also I was wondering about networking, to download more applications and updates: I do not have a unprotected wifi network and setting up one feel like a hassle; so I sourced 2 LAN PCMCIA cards and was wondering if there are linux or WCE drivers for those:

- 3com etherlink 3 3c589c
- 3com Megahertz 3cxfe575ct

Those are using a standard LAN connector so it is much easier for me to get them online. I plugged them in but could not tell if they work or not; never worked on linux with PCMCIA cards so I am not sure what is the process to get those ready to connect to my home network.

Thanks for your replies and efforts to sustain this project!

Edited by marko 2021-10-24 8:32 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 11:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

You're welcome, marko....

Yes, having python is great....don't have my 720....so, don't recall whether I installed v3 or not...

Only workaround to the rebooting issue is to have a new ROM board.....some years ago there was a guy that was going to produce some for us, but he never was able to get production going unfortunately.

Not sure what's going on with your power button and console issue...

For more tips about Devuan on 720, you check out Stefan's (Dev_Null) thread about Devuan and then go to his website and copy his instructions that have usage tips in it.

It's a lot of pages, but there's a lot of useful info in this thread and Dev_Null's thread about using Devuan. At least skim through them.

As for WiFi cards, the threads have a lot of discussion about the cards and how they work.

If you boot up Devuan with card inserted, you'll see text in console about whether or not the driver modules get loaded or not. If not, then you'll need to copy the modules to your install. This has all been discussed a lot in the threads.

Best,

Mark

As for wifi cards.....
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-09 3:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Could be a game changer: https://www.adafruit.com/product/5291 Quad core and actually fits into the Jornada pcmcia slot , cost about 25 buck with shipping etc. Will be checking it out soon. Fits into Jornada docking base easily and can be powered from it (with cheap tiny inverter). WiFi only... no Ethernet. Also has video out as well as hdmi (those old CRT TV's may benefit).

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-11-09 3:23 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-11-09 4:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sounds great, Joval!

Too bad it couldn't work in the 720 PC card slot.....

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-10 5:33 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Back to using the Jornada720/devuan/wpa-wifi/RasPi set up... it's been over a month hiatus. Yet, What a Little Charmer.... puppy love all over again!

OK, this time I'm giving the new RasPi Zero 2 W a try out. Seems fine for posting here on the hpcfactor, a bit slower at 1GHz quad core. Haven't tried video... with only 512Mb Ram not likely to work very well. I'll check later... as well as blue tooth for music maybe while blogging away.

There is a VRAM fix that essentially expands it to 1.77 Gb so multiple programs run and behave (oh, Behave!) without crashing. Some Nova_Tech ? fellow has a git hub program I'll find it and post it later.

But for posting via Firefox using ssh to the mini RasPi Zero 2 W... sans encryption... quite nice.

It draws about 1/2 watt on idle, maybe 6 watts when maxed out. I'll measure power usage later and report back...

This thing is dinky small... about 1/2 the size of a pcmcia slot..just slightly bigger.

Hmmm... evidently can be overclocked to 1.4GHz to nearly match a RasPi 3 in performance. I'll mount it in the docking base and provide photos. Should be easy to power from the ac plug, might even run from the jornada battery or a cell phone type battery hidden in the base.

We're talking all of $15 for barebones RasPi Zero 2! No excuses now, folks... time to "jailbreak" the Jornada 720. Puppy love or not!

well, there you have it ... posted on my J720/Devuan/WPA-wifi/Mini RasPi zero 2 W

Good job, little one,

joval

Edited by joval 2021-11-10 5:36 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-11-10 2:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sounds good, Joval....

Look forward to seeing some pics...

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-13 10:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-11-10 6:52 AM

Sounds good, Joval....

Look forward to seeing some pics...

Mark

Hi Mark!
Good to hear from you, amigo

I just installed Novaspirit Tech's ZRAM on a fresh RasPi install on the Zero 2... it does seem faster, less lag. Find it here: https://github.com/novaspirit/rpi_zram

What it does is compress the small 512 Mb DDR ram which is quite limiting on the RasPi Zero 2... this increases the apparent size of RAM but requires more cpu work. I don't see much change when checking with "htop" terminal command... perhaps because I burned the RasPi image onto a 32GB sd card which was already a tight squeeze and contains the swap drive within.

Nevertheless, seems quicker. Another option is to 0verclock from 1GHz to 1.3 or 1.4 GHz... which is another world to explore ... aka rabbit hole.

This newer RaPi image includes BOTH Real VNC Server and VNCViewer which is great. From the Jornada720/Devuan-WPA/IceWM terminal, you ssh into the Zero 2 with X-forwarding by typing (ssh -XYC4c none pi@your_RasPi_Ip ) and the RasPi command prompt appears. Then type vncviewer and get thru the intro page, maximize the log on page, server ip, user: pi password, etc.It's a bit tedious first time...till you get the hang of it and have it set up.

That's it... no need to run vncviewer from the Jornada, instead it runs from the Zero2 or other RasPi 3 or 4. Very convenient as in previous RasPi Os versions only VNC server was already installed and it was not easy to find the vncviewer download or to install it.(apt install not work cuz real vnc is not available as a debian download). Just take my word on it, this is a great time saver. It also seems to auto-size to J720 screen size of 640x480 with scroll.

One Correction: Zero 2 consumes about 1/2 watt (100 ma x 5 volt) at idle and only 3 watts (600ma x 5 v) at Max. So, at least several hours from any single cell lithium ion 2000 ma battery!

Some Photos should be posted in the next few days, I hope! For now, I wanna play around with this Mighty Mite! Certainly is able enough for posting on https:// sites. audio and video yet to be tested.

Best regards,

joval ....
on J720/Devuan/WPA_wifi/RasPi Zero2 +ZRAM/ VNCviewer

Edited by joval 2021-11-13 11:21 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-15 2:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-09-18 1:30 PM

Hi Joval,

the difference between 32m and 128m is quite noticeable when running GUI based apps. On the console I'd say it's less of an issue. Happy to make some performance comparisons.

On the scripts front, I've been working on a "jornada-config" utility modeled after the "raspi-config" which gives different options depending on how started (normal user or root). In user mode, you can setup Wifi, the screen and startup options (like autologin or not, start the Desktop or not, etc.). Maybe we can join forces if you like? Still haven't figured out how to change the window manager on the desktop...

In root mode there are other, more system wide options, one of which is the disk resizing and another one is installing the keymaps:

The script is on github, please feel free to test it out. It's far from complete and not everything works yet so use it on a test machine for now.
To get it on the Jornada, use apt-get on QEMU to install git, gparted and whiptail packages.
Then go to the /opt folder and clone the code repository by running:
git clone https://github.com/timob0/jornada-config.git /opt/jornada-config

The tool itself you can run as root with
/opt/jornada-config/jornada-config

or as a regular user with
sudo /opt/jornada-config/jornada-config

Kind regards
Timo

Timo!!!! Your Jornada-config script is GREAT! It will be such a Wonderful addition to the images!

I finally took the time to install it and it is SUPER! I can't thank you enough! WOW.

FYI... those of you with a J720 with 64MB or 128Mb RAM => you do not need to use the Qemu emulator which is a workaround for 32Mb where apt-get install fails due to insufficient RAM memory.

Just open a terminal window and type in the apt-get install commands (whiptail gparted git kbd etc.) to download the packages and install them. Follow this with his "git clone https://github.com/timob0/ ...etc" command. (note: spell timob0 correctly with 'zero' at the end). Reboot.

If autologin takes you into IceWM, just ctl-alt-delete to log out and then login as root (su) with password r00t (per Stefan). Then navigate to /opt/jornada-config and run script with ./jornada-config.

Wifi set up is impressive ( may need a few tweaks I am still testing), haven't tried resizing yet but should make upgrades to image much easier for me! and the LCD control of contrast and brightness is so convenient.

Soon as I can check everything out... I will upload a new image for hosting that will include your Jornada-config with SD card resizing.

Hey... Windows running on the J720 is quite a feat too.

Timo... You really hit a home run... terriic job!

Folks, the J720 has finally arrived... born again... many thanks to Stefan for his Devuan port and connman wifi fix, to ArchiMark for the amazing IceWM window manager, ntware for his X-forwarding vnc desktop, and now Timo for his qemu emulator and especially for this Jornada-config scripting support !!

I love it when a plan comes together!

joval ...

on my J720_64Mb/Devuan3.18/WPA_wifi/RasPi4/VNC hybrid

Edited by joval 2021-11-15 2:53 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-11-15 4:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Wow! This looks great!

Thanks, Timo and Joval!

Look forward to trying this out on my 128M 720 when new images released.

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-16 5:12 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Greetings, Greetings Comrads

Just wish to report that the RasPi Zero 2 is working very well for viewing Web pages with Firefox, such as this one... which is really nice. Video is not satisfactory so far, but firefox has always been deficient when compared to VNC and Chrome.

Although I installed Zram per Nova-spirit, htop shows same memory size unlike his youtube video does... so something is amiss. Does seem faster perhaps because each of the 4 cores is being better allocated. Thus, More tweaking ahead.

Very nice adjusting screen contrast using Timob0's Jornada-config running in a separate window and easily accessible on the fly... really improves readability as I zip from wikipedia article to article. The zero2 does an excellent job here in posting... no significant lag and page scrolling is zippy too.

I think you're gonna like it...

joval
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-11-16 10:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Greetings comrade Joval,

Overall, sounds good....

Although would it be better to just use the more powerful RasPi ?

Mark
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.454 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 30