x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next »
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-17 3:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-10-23 8:54 PM

marko - 2021-10-23 7:22 PM

Thanks for creating these setup!

I tried the 8 GB one and it works great; except that when you run X server, the overall UI is quite large so it goes beyond the main screen (was not able to find the preferences to change the scale of the ui; I assume that there is no UI scaling setting?). Also the on-off button does not seem to put the device to "sleep"; I read somewhere in the thread that it should turn off PCMCIA port and the screen, but it does not do that on my 720.

Another issue is that the screen goes totally white when you restart; and I need to remove the backup battery and the main battery to fix the issue. Is there a workaround for that? Thanks!

Welcome to the Devuan 720 club......

You need hold the Alt key and then drag the window with stylus down and to the left a bit to see the icons for adjusting the window to fit the display.

You can't put device to sleep. However, the display will go to sleep after a bit.

After you shutdown Devuan, then you have to remove both batteries. After about 5 minutes, you can put back the batteries and 720 will restart properly. Then you have go through the setup screens and calibration. Then you will get back to WinCE desktop. From there you can either use WinCE or start up Devuan again.

HTH,

Mark

Hi Marko

Welcome aboard... Pleased you find the 8Gb Devuan download useful.

May I offer a few suggestions/tips/corrections:

1.To return to your prior WinCe session from the white screen after reboot out of Devuan, remove and discard backup coin battery, unplug AC power if connected, slide the main battery latch so as to release and pop out the main battery for one SECOND or so, then push it back it and it will boot up into WinCE normal screen. You DO NOT need to wait 5 minutes.... a second will do.

2. as WinCe boots up, hold down the crtl and shift keys together... this will bypass all those multiple first time set up windows (ugh) and show the calibration screen... now press the escape key to arrive a the desktop

3.assuming you made a backup of your prior WinCe session (which you should do periodically) and that you save all your documents to the storage card... just do a full restore using the fixed backup/restore icon on the right margin of the touch screen.

4. hold down ctrl and shift keys on reboot from restore... hit esc at calibration screen as your restored session already contains the proper calibration parameters... no need to recalibrate.

OR...

1. If you only want to reboot back into Devuan again, at the white screen fold the screen down a bit and you will see a very faint desktop. Press the windows key and the program menu appears, press the down cursor key, then the right cursor key, then the up cursor key (twice) and hit enter to bring up windows file manager, followed by right cursor key pressed 4 times to enter storage folder, then right cursor key to Jlinex.exe and press enter. about 10 seconds later the Devuan boot script starts. after 3minutes you're back to IceWM desktop.

Sounds complicated but after a while is very fast and easy. Sometimes it stalls and you need to remove the battery etc.

Hope this helps

best regards,

joval... from his J720/Devuan/WPA_wifi/RasPi_Zero2/Firefox hybrid

Edited by joval 2021-11-17 3:47 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-17 7:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Just to give you an idea of the size... not much bigger than a stick of gum, almost able to fit 2 in one PCMCIA slot... just need 5 volts to power it (from Jornada maybe direct or via inverter or phone charger AC) . Easily attaches to bottom of WPA wifi card, too, as an option. Only downside now is both devices need to connect to home router, hope to make RasPi serve as hotspot/router in el futuro.

Joval

(RasPi_Zero2.JPG)

(Zero2_PCMCIA Slot.JPG)

(Zero2 in Slot.JPG)

(Zero2 underWifi.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RasPi_Zero2.JPG (215KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Zero2_PCMCIA Slot.JPG (187KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Zero2 in Slot.JPG (182KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Zero2 underWifi.JPG (196KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-11-17 8:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for sharing images, Joval...

it is indeed very small.

How about comparing to your other board?

Mark
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-11-17 9:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wow, that is a tiny little thing isn't it!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-19 1:49 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2021-11-17 1:39 PM

Wow, that is a tiny little thing isn't it!

Yes, that's why I call it the "Mighty Mite!" This thing gets the J720 on the internet with ease, uses little power, and is capable of viewing youtube videos with small window... that's running at 1GHz quad core... it can be overclocked to 1.4GHz (haven't tried that yet) for even better performance!

Adding Timo's Jornada-config scripts ==> can even set J720 cpu frequency and Wifi connection, on or off, to optimize ssh to Zero2, screen contrast, brightness, on,off, auto-login to desktop or not, time date and zone set, and more. It automatically, quickly resizes your Linux partition to the maximum for your SD or CF card,too. It's great! How about a BIG round of applause for Timo!! He did this so very well... it's what I have been begging for for nearly year!!

All for $15 bucks you can get amazing performance out of the J720... and the screen renders teeny-weeny text remarkably well... here I am with a small font easily viewable some 20 lines with 75 letters per line. Just press ctrl + or ctrl - in Firefox to zoom in or out! Aka, the "poor man's Cosmo."

These things were made for each other! Love at first byte!

joval ... posted on a J720/devuan/wpa/Raspi_Zero 2/Firefox hybrid HPC

Edited by joval 2021-11-19 2:14 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-19 11:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

HELP WANTED:

I just realized Stefan created a newer Zimage kernel about one month ago that includes a Bx patch instead of the previous emulator and is stated to be faster. That fellow amazes me!

This only came to my attention when testing out Timob0's excellent Jornada-config utility under the Performance Bx option. When I changed to the newer kernel (downloaded from Stefan's great Jornada wiki website), the jornada-config utility performed the patch and things seemed load faster... whereas the older kernel just reported an "error" with is option.

Problem is, the wifi card was no longer recognized by connman... ie, Wifi was knocked out. I assume the wifi driver module isn't loading properly. I hope there is an easy fix so I can include the new kernel Bx option with the updated disk images that will include the Jornada-config utility.

I have learned a lot just reviewing Timo's Jconf scripts and have yet to try out his Button scripts. I made some minor changes in the brightness increments (+or - 50) and contrast (+or- 8) which I find more useful.

I ran into problems with the "AutoUser" term in the inittab autologin file as it got stuck in a loop and wouldn't log in at all. I changed it to "user" and this fixed it to log in as user.

The overclock/underclock option is cool, I wonder if it will save on battery life much.

I will try the Bx option with each of the 2 kernels (without wifi) to compare speeds opening programs, and note any performance benefits. Still appealing for help in getting connman to recognize the wifi card with the newer kernel. Are newer driver modules required?

All the best,

joval... this time it's J720/Devuan/WPA/RasPi4/Firefox hybrid HPC

Edited by joval 2021-11-19 11:06 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-20 5:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I'm working on a Devuan 3.1.8.7 (Stefan's original) disk image that will include the Jornada-config utility(Timob0's), but won't include the Bx emulation/patch option only available in Stefan's newer 3.1.8.7 version... all in the interest of time.

I'm thinking I will simply delete those option choices that don't work from the Jornada-config utility, including renaming it such: jconf instead of the long laborius Jornada-config.

To run it, must be Superuser, cd to /opt/jornada-config, then type ./jornada-config ... yes, needs ./ to run bash script from command line AFAIK. Sudo doesn't work like it does with RasPi... correct me if I'm wrong.

If I can list it in the IceWM menu then the name will be Jornada-config... pehaps I'm just too lazy I guess to want to type /opt/jornada-config then ./jornada-config each time to call it up.

I've had over 190 downloads so far, so look for it here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

Hopefully the updated image will be available/hosted before Thanksgiving as a single image that can be easily resized to your CF or SD card maximum capacity... thanks to Timb0's Jornada-config utility being included.

joval ... via his J720/Devuan/WPA/RasPi4/VNC hybrid

Addendum: The RasPi OS (debian variation) image has been updated and includes Real VNC... as I'm using here...runs from the RasPi (not the J720), so set up is easier than ever, IMO

Edited by joval 2021-11-20 6:16 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-20 4:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI Firefox can be installed on the RasPi thru the " get install firefox-esr" terminal command as a debian package. No need to install on the Jornada 720 as it runs via X-forwarding! (note it's no longer named Iceweasle as formerly but is firefox-esr).

Unfortunately, they are pushing/promoting their new VPN.

I like it because of the ease of start-up (Real VNC requires more steps), renders sharper fonts and images. It's great for posting and stays online for hours, whereas VNC disconnects if idle too long. Downside is it tends to lock up when playing youtube and sound is iffy. And of course, it's just a browser. VNC gives you the full desktop and can run any RasPi app... like OfficeLibre, games, text to speech, configure sound output to speaker or bluetooth, etc

This post is via J720/Devuan/WPA/RasPi4/Firefox set up. Gonna see how it works on the Zero2 with the newer RasPi OS... speed wise

joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-20 4:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Ok I'm connected to the RasPi Zero2 with firefox... no lag on typing, good screen fit. Just open one tab because Zero2 only has 512 Ram... multiple tasks/tabs will slow things down.

Great for posting to Https:// sites, etc. J720 with WPA wifi, standared cpu clock speed , full brightness ==> will last about 2hrs on J720 battery. Later will compare reducing cpu speed.

Just no end to the fun with the Zero2 @$15 cost, can't go wrong, and set up is a breeze giving choice of full desktop or now with firefox, snappy browser alone.

joval the Hutt ... via J720/Devuan/wifi/RasPi Zero2/firefox
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-20 7:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

I am now hosting an updated image that includes Timo's new Jornada-config utility which does many cool things including auto resizing the linux partition for those of you with bigger CF or SD card(+ Cf adapter).

Image named: DevJ7_32Gb_IceWM_WPA_JConfig_RS.zip found here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

This is to get you going ASAP. Please review the ReadMe file. There are some problems remaining I think with US keymap, we still could use/need the "right mouse click" , some functions are iffy, caution on changing password. If login goes wild looping after some config change you can check the /etc/inittab file or just burn the image over again.

Give some feedback, especially any problems. I really would like to hear from some of you posting from their J720 via a $15 RasPi Zero2 as well, would make me smile!

Enjoy!!!

Joval the Hutt

Edited by joval 2021-11-20 7:55 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-11-20 8:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sounds great, joval.....

Will try it out in a few day....left my 720 at work....so, early next week.....

The only issue with US keymap is the left curly bracket as I recall. Been meaning to try fixing it, but didn't get to it yet.....maybe next week.

Thanks again to you and Timo for the excellent work.

Best,

Mark

PS. I'm tempted to (finally...) try a RasPi with 720.....

Could use some info on going about it.....did you already post about how to do it ?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-20 9:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI the new image above is too bloated to work on a J720 with stock 32Mb... way, way too slow to be of use.

I did my testing with 64Mb RAM and works well. I will try removing programs and make an image more suited for J720 with stock 32Mb Ram later.

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-20 11:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-11-20 12:31 PM

Sounds great, joval.....

Will try it out in a few day....left my 720 at work....so, early next week.....

Not to worry... seems I put the image up too soon... discovering major issue with Jornada-config script re: resetting password actually deletes user name from inittab file leading to endless loop "authentification error". Think I'll delete that option as it's better done in terminal.

The only issue with US keymap is the left curly bracket as I recall. Been meaning to try fixing it, but didn't get to it yet.....maybe next week.

I don't know which US keymap Timo used, maybe it's not included... didn't seem right... maybe I need to download it place it in the proper directory as you once pointed out X11 or so.

Thanks again to you and Timo for the excellent work.

Thanks, he really did one heck of a job... I'm learning so much just by reviewing it. Like the run level command in root "init 0" shuts everything down with no reboot into WinCE, cpu clocking, etc. Humbling experience for me.

PS. I'm tempted to (finally...) try a RasPi with 720.....

Could use some info on going about it.....did you already post about how to do it ?

Here, for you and C:Amie too. will include screen shots later:
Simple as pi!

Go to RaspberryPi.org and download their imager, select 32bit full desktop image and burn it to at least 32Gb micro SD card, insert into any RasPi 3 or 4 or Zero2... works the same for each. Boot up, updates itself, runs config file, select options, log onto wifi router and note ip address, change pi password, activate ssh and VNC server, set screen size like 720x480 in preferences , in appearance set default to medium or large screen if desired (looks better on Jornada).

Then open terminal on Jornada, type: "ssh -XYC4 none pi@ip_address" (or just ssh -X pi@ip_address if encryption desired but slower), give password (answer yes to ssh question if pops up), at pi prompt type " vncviewer " or add parameters (vncviewer -encryption PreferOff -scaling FitWidth -quality High )and hit enter,

New white window appears at top of screen edge, use alt+Wordkey (equivalent to F11-- top row J720 keyboard) to maximize, type in pi ip address, login info, click to save password, etc. Pi Desktop appears. In Pi terminal type sudo apt install firefox-esr. You're done!

Back to Jornada, open new terminal window, ssh -XYC4c none pi@address, etc... at pi prompt type: firefox-esr ==> Browser appears in new Jornada window (I usually switch to a different workspace as it boots up). Actually works well with multiple tabs even on the lowly RasPi Zero2... still snappy (except video sucks). The Zero2 requires hdmi and usb adapters for monitor and mouse initial set up. Check out the web site and Amazon, etc.

Sounds more complicated than it is, very easy once set up! The ssh login can be automated using ssh security key copy paste... haven't done that yet.

Best,
Joval

Edited by joval 2021-11-20 11:30 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 12:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the how to, Joval!

The other part I'm curious about is related to the hardware.....

Besides the RasPi board, what do you use?

Put the board in a little plastic case?

Is there an AC charger connection?

Any other hardware to use/buy for this setup?

Thanks,

Mark

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 4:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi ArchiMark!

Listening now to Audible audio book on the Zero 2 Pi as I post here on HPCFactor... via bluetooth... pod speaker set up through command line/terminal with command: "bluetoothctl" subcommands "scan on/off", "pair"... not unlike the connmanctl

Book is about AI... it's coming on fast... yikes! Hey, remember when computers seemed friendly like the J720? My CyberDyne moment... these aren't the Droids I'm looking for,etc.

I'm just pushing the Zero 2 to its limit...quite impressive to have J720 working with bluetooth pod speaker. I may try powering it from the Jornada via the 5 volt leads on that capacitor under the keyboard that Stefan uses to power his USB port... see his jornada usb wiki. That would be so cool! Actually might get a bit warm/hot if tucked inside some how....

Jeez, I have youtube music playing along with audiobook and posting here all through the Zero2... hyper-miling of sorts.

I'll discuss the RasPi 4 vs 3B+ vs Zero 2 and bring you up to date... soon. As well as Devuan/Debian/Raspian similarities ( I hope).

joval ...on his J720/Zero2 hybrid

Edited by joval 2021-11-21 4:28 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9