x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-17 1:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Joval, will do sometime soon....

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-19 11:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

OK, got a 16GB SanDisk SD card and was able to flash it OK.

Found my old Imation SD to CF card adapter. Only bad thing about that adapter is that it is about 59mm long. So, won't fit in CF slot. Have to use it with PC card adapter in the PC card slot. So, can't use it with WiFi card.

Do you have a SD to CF card adapter that fits in the CF card slot?

Meanwhile, tried using card in PC card slot with CF to PC Card adapter.

Unfortunately, 720 does not recognize that the card is in the PC card slot.

So it goes.....

UPDATE

Just occurred to me that perhaps there's a compatibility issue with the SD to CF card adapter. It is very old and says 'Adapter for Secure Digital MultiMediaCard'. While the SanDisk card is SDHC type.

Just a thought....

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-07-19 11:18 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-19 11:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-07-19 3:06 PM

Found my old Imation SD to CF card adapter. Only bad thing about that adapter is that it is about 59mm long. So, won't fit in CF slot. Have to use it with PC card adapter in the PC card slot. So, can't use it with WiFi card.

Mark, don't lose hope, you'e closing in on success!

Can you just let you larger CF adapter hang out with the CF door open?

Amazon has the SD to CF adapter for about 12 bucks. I have the red one. Quality varies but most work. Here:

https://www.amazon.com/sd-cf-card-adapter/s?k=sd+to+cf+c...

FYI I have connman working with the 54WL Ambi card to the point where services shows SSIDs but unable to connect, and don't understand the TAB
option. Beginning to taste success cuz to read ssid he wifi card is working!! Might try unsecure ssid option
Joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-19 11:31 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-19 11:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Joval.....

While you were posting, I was adding update info to my post above yours...please read update...

Meanwhile, I tried to do your suggestion about putting it in CF slot with door open.....but the adapter is too thick!

If it's not one thing, it's another!

Your red adapter fits in the CF slot with door closed or ?

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-07-19 11:23 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-19 11:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-07-19 3:06 PM

Meanwhile, tried using card in PC card slot with CF to PC Card adapter.

Unfortunately, 720 does not recognize that the card is in the PC card slot.

Yes, red adapter fits well. Regarding using pcmcia adapter...always do a hard reset a couple times, make sure sd card is in snug, try a fat32 sdcard, etc. Often will show up in windows explorer... the voodoo factor once again!

joval
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-20 12:52 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Joval......

Tried a few hard resets, but still no go....tried a few other SD cards, still no go...

I have a feeling it's an issue with the old SD to CF adapter....

Will get one of the red ones....and try again...

Still don't know why using a CF card doesn't work.....

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-20 1:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-07-19 4:52 PM

Still don't know why using a CF card doesn't work.....

Mark

Mark,
I have one 16 GB CF card that doesn't work... I found that it won't create more than two partitions , whereas all the others create 3 or more and work. As a test, if you have a Cf to usb adapter, download free minitool partition manager (or equivalent if on a MAC or use Gparted on Linux ) and create 3 different fat32 partitions with a drive letter like E:F:G: ( just takes a minute or two. add a folder or text file different for each --optional... so you may tell which is which on J720).

now, place it into your J720 and boot winCE... you shoulds see 3 storage cards: storage card, storage card2, storage card3. If you see all 3 then it could/should work, if you see 2 or less... it won't IMO!

Hey, I have the Ambicom 54WL( $6 on Ebay) connected to an unsecured ESP8266 reading it's web page!! Ahhh, the sweet sweet smell of success!!
Stefan is quite the miracle worker, IMHO!

joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-20 1:21 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-20 2:10 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Joval,

Thank you for all the info and input....

Interesting about being able to test CF cards by number of partitions....

Will check that out.....

CONGRATS on getting wifi card working!

I'm anxious to get my Ambicom working on my home WPA network like Stefan did and hopefully, be able to connect to the captive portal guest network at work. Then I'll be very happy.

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-20 4:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Some progress!.....

Put the CF card in my trusty ol' Libretto U105 with PC card slot....and checked a few things including the params.txt file....realized I hadn't updated file to change memory to 128m....also, per Stefan's file, I changed delay to 5.....and copied over the keymap files....

Now when I put CF in J720, it was recognized!

However, when booting up Devuan, it froze with kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) message.....

Dang.....

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-20 11:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-07-20 8:27 AM

Some progress!.....

Put the CF card in my trusty ol' Libretto U105 with PC card slot....and checked a few things including the params.txt file....realized I hadn't updated file to change memory to 128m....also, per Stefan's file, I changed delay to 5.....and copied over the keymap files....

Now when I put CF in J720, it was recognized!

However, when booting up Devuan, it froze with kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) message.....

Dang.....

Same thing I see with the faulty San Disk Ultra 16Gb... in fact when booting usually there is a list of drives: hda1, hda2 before it crashes with the unable to mount root fs, however with this 16Gb CF card : no drives show before the panic... no hda1, hda2 a few lines above the panic statement. Nada! I don't know if the card is damaged, but it works fine as a single partion Fat32. But only shows 2 storage cards when partitioned into 3 Fat32 partitions.

Could be by design as Windows XP, etc would only see the first partition (multi-partitions on usb, Cf, thumb drives not permitted at the time ) only. So why design for more!

Sometimes you can see a similar message booting a CF card from the pcmcia slot though! Just thought I'd add to your confusion!

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-20 11:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All,

FYI new, larger image: DevJ720_32Gb zip uploading now with Ambicom/connman apps.otherwise barebones ( no MC, no tigervncviewer, no ntp, limited network interfaces, etc. Params.txt mem=32, root delay=0, so adjust to your device. I haven't tested it for fidelity/verification yet, will do so when upload complete. Keep your fingers crossed (and that middle finger down) !

Oops, forgot to add .img to file name... so unzip it and change name from Devj720Ambiconn32Gb to Devj720Ambiconn32Gb.img

Joval

Addendum: Image downloaded, unzipped, renamed and burned with Win32DiskImager, verified on j720 with 64Mb rom: Fully Operational with Ambicom/Connmanctl card... although very slow...performed "apt install ntp" successfully!!
Enjoy!

Edited by joval 2021-07-21 12:36 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-21 1:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI: Still in testing phase... ntp update failed at last minute, but I was using an undersized microSd card 31Gb... could be img burn artifact, will repeat with bigger card.

ADDENDUM: tested image again with 200Gb microSDcard, burned image with Etcher (BalenaEtcher) followed by verification... all successful, Repeated "apt install MC" (CLI file manager) via Ambicom/connman (didn't need to configure... works on boot, remembers config.. you will need to configure for your WPA/WPA2 router). SUCCESS But very slow... downloads at 1/20th the speed of wired ethernet IMO ( so future configuration options will hopefully speed things up).

Will test another 32 or 64 Gb microSD Card soon... and Kernal 4.8.7 too.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-21 2:02 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-21 2:27 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the additional testing and your updates, Joval....

So, are you uploading a revised file or still testing?

And will your next include the keymaps too?

I ask as I was about to download files now....but I can wait a while if you plan on uploading newer version soon....

Mark

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-07-21 2:40 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-21 4:25 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,

the new 32Gb image is tested and verified and ready for you to download... barebones...no keymod, no MC. no ntp (auto time update), no vncviewer.

However, ethernet card will work ( much faster for apt install)and Ambicom card will work (incredibly slow but ok for Lynx text browser). You can do udate/upgrades/install apt apps as is (ethernet recommended) as you like. So firmware-libertas and connman installed... once you configure it remembers, I think the ethernet works without opening /usr/sbin/connmanctl... not sure though.

Please do remind me to add the keymod and any extra you like.

This is posted on a J720 using the above 32Gb image now with ethernet/RasPi/vncviewer hybrid... shows you it works.

Maybe Stefan's Ambicom WL54/connman setup is faster... hope he weighs in. I'm finding it way too slow... needs some kind of fix unless there is a conflict with the network/interfaces file or other. I had the Netgear MA401 working in WEP mode and it was a little slower than ethernet, and ntware had his prism based card working in WPA mode with WPAsupplicant and he said it was fast. SO... another mystery/rabbit hole beckons...

joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-21 4:56 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-21 4:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Great, Joval.....will download now.....crossing my fingers......

Will report back soon.....

Well, maybe not so soon, as Etcher says it will take about 5 more hours to flash the CF card......

So, won't test until tomorrow morning.....

Thanks!

Mark

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-07-21 5:38 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8