x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next »
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-11-24 5:22 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Nice setup, joval.

Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-11-24 8:14 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hello!
Regarding Zram: I use it already for a few weeks - it works very well on the Jornada. A Kernel module is already in the new 3.16.81 folder. I configured the script to use 50% of the RAM as Zram - at least on a system with 128MB RAM this works very well. You can edit the "FRACTION=" value - it defines the percentage of your RAM that is used for Zram.

- make sure you have the folder with the latest Kernel modules in your /lib/modules folder: http://www.sp-net.at/nextcloud/s/SQbqbX64QdZarop?path=%2Fkernel3.16...

- copy the attached script to /etc/init.d/

- Make the script executable:
$ sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/zram

-make sure the insserv package is installed (it provides a easy way to add scripts to SysV)
$ sudo apt-get install insserv

-and add zram so that it starts automatically at boot
$ sudo insserv zram

Now reboot your Jornada!

Edited by _dev-null 2021-11-24 8:23 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments zram.tar (10KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-24 1:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2021-11-24 12:14 AM

Hello!
Regarding Zram: I use it already for a few weeks - it works very well on the Jornada. A Kernel module is already in the new 3.16.81 folder. I configured the script to use 50% of the RAM as Zram - at least on a system with 128MB RAM this works very well. You can edit the "FRACTION=" value - it defines the percentage of your RAM that is used for Zram.

- make sure you have the folder with the latest Kernel modules in your /lib/modules folder: http://www.sp-net.at/nextcloud/s/SQbqbX64QdZarop?path=%2Fkernel3.16...

- copy the attached script to /etc/init.d/

- Make the script executable:
$ sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/zram

-make sure the insserv package is installed (it provides a easy way to add scripts to SysV)
$ sudo apt-get install insserv

-and add zram so that it starts automatically at boot
$ sudo insserv zram

Now reboot your Jornada!

Stefan!!!

OMG, your new kernel is fantastic!!! The J720 32Mb is running well now,,, could barely crawl before this. You have done it again... worked your magic!! Thank you!

The Bx patch and Zram seems to speed up things by 25 to 30 percent (my quick estimate based on boot up time). Programs now running smoothly on stock 32Mb ram. Much, much improved!

Thanks for the zram tips... will experiment with it soon.

I'm posting this on a true J720 32Mb now and there is no lag in firefox-esr. Similar to j728 64Mb now... a world of difference!

best regards,

joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-26 9:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

stingraze - 2021-11-23 9:22 PM

Nice setup, joval.

Hi Stingraze ... and thanks for your comment. of course I need to add overvoltage and undervoltage protection... so this is just a prototype. In the end it might be better to run a dedicated buck converter off the ~8 volt battery output, I just ordered tiny 3 amp buck converters.

Right now I'm about to try out Stefans Zram script... could be a real game changer for the 32Mb Rom boards. His new version zImage patched kernel seems about 25-30% faster on boot-up than previous(quick comparison). He continues to amaze me! and now Zram, too! A real thanksgiving!!

regards,

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-11-26 9:45 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-27 3:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Stefan....

getting error codes when running zram command , followed above instructions...(except from root instead of sudo command)
will try posting... here goes:

./zram: line 10: $'\r': command not found 
: syntax error: invalid arithmetic opera")r (error token is "
./zram: line 15: $'\r': command not found
./zram: line 16: syntax error near unexpected token `$'in\r''
'/zram: line 16: `case "$1" in

any suggestions? I'll try a reboot...

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-11-27 3:27 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-27 7:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-11-26 7:15 PM

Hi Stefan....

getting error codes when running zram command , followed above instructions...(except from root instead of sudo command)
will try posting... here goes:

./zram: line 10: $'\r': command not found 
: syntax error: invalid arithmetic opera"r (error token is "
./zram: line 15: $'\r': command not found
./zram: line 16: syntax error near unexpected token `$'in\r''
'/zram: line 16: `case "$1" in

any suggestions? I'll try a reboot...

Joval

Looks like my mistake ...Just now downloading your latest 3.16.81 image from 4 days ago. Will report back...
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-28 4:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

No luck getting Zram working on the jornada 720, turns out I had the latest kernel and module. More work ahead!

It is, however, working well on the RasPi Zero 2 and makes a big difference! To check on it enter this in terminal: "cat /proc/swaps" and it will show 4 swap drives==>0,1,2,3

Just set up the teeny Buck converter on the Zero2... super cheap...connected to J720 12 volt AC power supply, adjusted to 5.15 volts,connected to Zero2==> running great!! Find it here:

Next, I will hide the Zero2 and buck converter in the Jornada docking base, and run a microUSB to USB extension cable outside the base or in place of the old USB slave port or the serial port. This will essentially give the J720 a pseudo USB connection, especially for file transfers using Rsync (which is included in the latest disk image).

Better yet, a USB Wifi dongle should allow the Zero2 to act as a Wifi Access Point and as a wifi bridge... so the WPA Jornada wifi can connect directly to the RasPi Zero2 avoiding a router connection I hope, so long as it doesn't mess up performance too much!

Then, connecting the AC charger can charge the Jornada AND power up the Zero2 for ongoing internet access... all in a compact unit: the docking base.

For the RasPi 3b+ direct wire see this: https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/raspberry-pi-3-wire-it-directly-from-the-p...

joval ...J720/Devuan/WPA/RasPiZero+buck inverter/Firefox

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-29 12:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Overclocking RasPi:

Turns out to be very easy to overclock the various RasPi including the Zero2... which can speed up performance noticeably.

From the RasPi terminal cd to /boot, then nano into "config.txt" and scroll down to the enable overclocking entry and remove the #. Then change the frequency parameter from say 800 to 1200, and voltage as shown here:
https://picockpit.com/raspberry-pi/overclock-raspberry-pi/ or google similar sites.

I did this on the Zero2 and have not seen much temperature change and no warning thermometer icon, although my increase was in the medium range. You can also increase the GPU frequency... and really works well with the RasPi 3B+

As mentioned in an above post, the raspi can be powered from the 12 volt J720 AC charger using the Buck inverter shown. I now have the RasPi 3B+ mounted in the docking base and powered from it! Do take care to adjust the inverter using a voltmeter around 5.3volts or so. If you see the undervoltage warning on the RasPi you need to carefully increase it. Too high a voltage can damage the RasPi and the adjustment pot is non-linear, so always use a voltmeter and a tiny screwdriver.

This post is via a J72(8)/ devuanBxpatched /WPA/ overclocked Zero2+Zram /VNC and there is no lag ... although I am also listening to an audiobook via Bluetooth speaker!

The Zero2 is working quite well overall for internet access and bluetooth audio... I still need to hook up a buck inverter to the jornada battery, as is powering from the capacitor under the keyboard is not optimal when on battery power alone IMO... right now the Zero2 is powered by its micro usb AC plug and deliversthe goods quite nicely... medium overclocked at that'

joval

Addendum: I now am powering the Zero2 from a cell phone backup battery pack... it ran about 10 hours on a 4000 mAh, so this is probably the easiest portability set up... a 2000mAh pack with the Zero2 could be velcro-ed to the backside of the J720, IMO

Edited by joval 2021-11-29 1:37 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 6:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Updated kernel and modules per Stefan's current release.

Meanwhile, I edited the iceWM preferences file to enable auto-hide taskbar to gain more vertical display height.

Restarted 720 after editing file.

Now when I did 'startx' it opened iceWM but with taskbar hidden.

When I tap on display at bottom of screen nothing happens. Thought it should make taskbar visible.

Anyone have auto-hide working properly?

Any tip as to how to get taskbar to appear?

Thanks,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 7:12 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-12-01 10:26 AM

Meanwhile, I edited the iceWM preferences file to enable auto-hide taskbar to gain more vertical display height.

When I tap on display at bottom of screen nothing happens. Thought it should make taskbar visible.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark!

I use a different approach: I maximize the window I'm in via the pseudo-function keys (top row of keyboard keys IE key through Word key using alt+"icon key" So, alt + "W icon" ==> F11 (full screen... no taskbar) alt+"X icon" (screen with Taskbar), alt + "Key (Access icon)" ==> minimize window. Very useful but not exactly what you're asking for but essentially the same result... and in full screen mode say of VNCviewer via ssh to RasPi, F10 (alt+"W" will maximize browser within full screen VNC, etc.

That said, hope you can clean up the messy redundant menu and add a Jornada-config entry. I know you can do this far better than I! Still, I will look into your taskbar issue in return.

regards,

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-12-01 7:30 PM
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 7:24 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
Please download this .tar file and extract the zram script from it. It should work this way.

Stefan

Edited by _dev-null 2021-12-01 7:25 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments zram.tar (10KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 7:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2021-12-01 11:24 AM

Hi!
Please download this .tar file and extract the zram script from it. It should work this way.

Stefan

Stefan! Thanks a Zillion, Just what I needed!! I'm excited to see how it works on the J72(8)... it made such an improvement on the RasPi Zero2. Seems you are such a magician at coding!

So grateful for all your wonderful efforts

Just wondering: Any improvement in the Ambicom WL54driver that can increase wifi speed/bandwidth?

best regards, my friend,

Joval
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 9:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-12-01 11:12 AM

ArchiMark - 2021-12-01 10:26 AM

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark!

I use a different approach: I maximize the window I'm in via the pseudo-function keys (top row of keyboard keys IE key through Word key using alt+"icon key" So, alt + "W icon" ==> F11 (full screen... no taskbar) alt+"X icon" (screen with Taskbar), alt + "Key (Access icon)" ==> minimize window. Very useful but not exactly what you're asking for but essentially the same result... and in full screen mode say of VNCviewer via ssh to RasPi, F10 (alt+"W" will maximize browser within full screen VNC, etc.

That said, hope you can clean up the messy redundant menu and add a Jornada-config entry. I know you can do this far better than I! Still, I will look into your taskbar issue in return.

regards,

Joval

Hi Joval!

Thank you for your suggestions.....

Just tried alt + Word and it worked!

Thanks!

iceWM has a very, very, lengthy preferences file. A lot of the line items are not really clear to me as to what they do. As I recall, there is a more user friendly gui app available to make changes to preferences. Not sure if we can use it on 720...if I get a chance I will see if I can install it and try it out.

Agree that the icewm menu could use cleaning up....and would be good to add a jornada-config entry....think it would be good to install a new image file with jornada-config in it though....so, hope you release one soon.....

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-02 2:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Mark!

The Jornada-config included image has been hosted for the past week as : DevJ7_32Gb_IceWM_WPA_JConfig_RS.zip

Find it here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

It's the only 32Gb file about half way down the list. The Jconfig part doesn't show too well, but that's it. I think it includes the Bx patched kernel (zImage1 is the older one without Bx) too! No Zram or sound modules ... yet.

Enjoy! It is really cool how it resizes SD Card, and so much more...I have a few tweaks in mind.

You have to navigate to /opt/jornada-config folder and then as superuser (su, passwd r00t etc) enter ./jornada-config. There is another script named jconf has some of my changes in the same directory and/or in a /jconf directory, enter ./jconf to see the difference.

Timob0 did a great job, modeled after the raspi-config. You can learn much just by viewing it. The pccardctl insert 0 and pccard eject 0 commands ( in su CLI) are a great battery saver as is the underclocking to 59Mhz. Thank you again Timob0!

best regards, my friend,

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-12-02 2:11 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-02 4:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Joval,

Thanks for all the info....

Will try out the image you linked to......

And report back as to how it works...

Hasta luego, caballero....

Mark
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 12