x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-03 5:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Joval,

Installed the image and it opened up to iceWM....

Tried to find the script jconf in the opt/jornada-config directory, but could not find in any of the sub-directories.....

Terminal programs (XTerm, LXTerminal) crash often....the iceWM taskbar disappears and after a minute it reappears....

Something is not right.....

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-03 5:33 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-12-01 1:20 PM

Agree that the icewm menu could use cleaning up....and would be good to add a jornada-config

Best,

Mark

"Mariachi Mark"... Formerly a Wild Thing on Guitar but now spends more time with a"Git" "tar"
Yes,
I've seen a few youtube videos on IceWM... it's the menu file (not the impossibly large preferences file) that seems easy to customize... I just don't recall where the iceMW files are stored.. maybe you know cuz you kindly told me how to do it. I think I can clean it up then.

Hey, I found a RIGHT MOUSE CLICK workaround, something really needed with VNCviewer... I have been unable to select audio output ie, hdmi vs audio jack vs bluetooth without it.

It's called Xdotool... you open terminal in vncviewer desktop and type :sudo xdotool click 3, then hold down the "Alt" key and put mouse cursor over the volume icon and hit enter==> opens like right click! It takes a little practice but finally allows headless RasPi connection.!! No longer have to hook up the HDMI Monitor and usb keyboard (ugh!)

Also works in xterm on the IceWM desktop... suggest you check it out!

You need to install it on the J720 and also on the RasPi so it works in both.

Buenos nachos!

joval ...en mi J720/Devuan/Zero2/VNC Zombie creation otra vez!

Edited by joval 2021-12-03 6:10 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-03 3:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hola Jovalito,

I found the iceWM preferences file in /etc/X11/icewm........

If I get a chance, I will see if I can find the menu file you mention.

Meanwhile, please read my post above yours.....

Buenos nachos,

Mariachi Mark (aka git tar man)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-03 7:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-12-02 9:02 PM

Hi Joval,

Installed the image and it opened up to iceWM....

Tried to find the script jconf in the opt/jornada-config directory, but could not find in any of the sub-directories.....

Terminal programs (XTerm, LXTerminal) crash often....the iceWM taskbar disappears and after a minute it reappears....

Something is not right.....

Mark

Mari-ArchiMark,

I never tested that image in zip form, the original works fine... so may need new zipped image upload , Sounds like the Ghost of Christmas Past is haunting your Jornada ....Again... isn't Ol' EverSneezer his name!(covid victim ?)

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-12-03 7:11 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-03 7:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Joval,

Thanks....that might be it.......

And yes, I always seem to have some sort of bug pester me......

So it goes....

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-03 10:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-12-03 11:41 AM

Hi Joval,

Thanks....that might be it.......

And yes, I always seem to have some sort of bug pester me......

So it goes....

Mark

Hi Marko Pollo! So... you're on another adventure through some foreign land... not eggxactly your first choice, eh?

Ok, I just downloaded and unzipped said hosted file and burned to sd card==> booted up fine ==> /opt/jornada-config folder found under root directory (not home/user) and ran ./jornada-config==> menu popped up... it uses the older kernel so lacks Bx patch function.

All seems good... as now being used to ssh into RasPi Zero2and using Firefox-esr to post this note to you

I don't know if the 128Mb boot loader is compatible with this kernel.The kernel with this hosted image is for 32/64Mb Jornadas, you would have to copy the 128 Mb version to the Fat32 partition.

This image is working great... May I suggest you re-download the image, set your ram to 64 or 32and retry, you can also swap Rom boards to 32 if thats not working.

Also, you've got to get a RasPi... at least the Zero2 for $15 bucks... runs 8-10 hours from cell phone battery charger, etc. Gives you a sweet internet connection in a petit package.

joval ...on another J72(8)/Devuan-JConf/Zero2/Firefox Zombie HPC

(DSC01633.JPG)

(DSC01634.JPG)

(DSC01635.JPG)

(DSC01636.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01633.JPG (151KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC01634.JPG (155KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC01635.JPG (152KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC01636.JPG (153KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-12-03 11:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Think you're right about the kernel issue, Jovalito......

Will try that and see if it works better......

Thanks for the help and pics....looks great!

I may get a RasPi.....we shall see....

Hasta luego,

Marco P
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-04 2:07 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,

I'll be uploading the Bx patched image with Jornada- config utility shortly... it runs faster and even works on the J720 stock 32Mb Ram I think... (Modules needed updating so wifi would work on the Bx'd image... Thank you Stefan)!

Still working on ZRam and need Timo's help with the sound modules, etc.

May need a slimmed down version eventually for the stock J720(32Mb) so as to perform better...with it's limited ram. Won't know until I get zram working... might make all the difference (fingers crossed).

Joval

Addendum: It's uploading now so you can find it here soon:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D4898663_09915533_817520

Edited by joval 2021-12-04 2:19 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-04 2:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

marko - 2021-10-24 12:31 PM

Thanks Mark

I really enjoyed giving it a try. There is also python 2.7, which blew my mind (wondering if python3 would run on it);

FYI Python 3.5.3 is also included in these hosted images... as well as Python 2.7.1 I don't know if we need both, what say you?

Anyway, access it with "Python3.5" in terminal. Enjoy.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-12-04 2:51 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-04 5:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All,

Yes, the Bx patch makes all the difference for the J720 stock 32Mb!

I can easily post here on HPCFactor with no lag while at the same time listening to an Audible audiobook (Life's Ratchet) and quickly switch between the two, scroll page up and down, etc.

Photo viewer is slow to open but takes screenshots fine... all while audio playing via RasPi Zero2 Bluetooth, Jornada-config is open, as are several terminal windows, and now LeafPad editor, and I am still posting here and successfully switching from one window to another. With just 32MB Ram on a stock Jornada 720!

Vast Improvement Stefan's Bx kernel patch makes it possible... ok let's see if "apt install" will work. I'll save this in case it crashes...
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-04 8:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

well, apt install did not work with J70 32 Mb, as is the norm, even with Bx kernel patch... bogged down to a snail pace... ugh!

Good news I have ZRAM working! and it seems to to improve performance best around 70% fraction of the 64Mb rom in my J72(8)... youtube runs better, etc.

So another image will be hosted after I work out the best fraction of memory that works best... especially onthe 32Mb j720

joval

via a ...J72(8)/DevuanBxZram/WPA/Zer02OverclockedZram/VNC hybrid
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-06 6:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI

New disk image with sound driver and MOC player and "sudo" and Zram included

Note: file size now 608Mb... may run slow on 32Mb J720, much better on 64Mb rom or 128Mb.

Find it here: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D4898663_09915533_810651

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-06 7:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Photos of J720 with RasPi Zero 2 piggy backed and powered by Jornada battery with buck inverter to reduce 8volt battery to 5.2 volts for Zero 2. Needs a cover to protect RasPi, will see how long J720 battery lasts. This is more reliable than previous power from capacitor under keyboard hack (not stable when battery low) but a bit more effort to remove base for connections.

May see if it can fit things within the case , attached to metal backside of screen to aid cooling...might need to remove hdmi port though. Would be nice to 3D print a custom case cover with opening for ports. Time will tell...

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-12-06 9:00 PM

(DSC01637.JPG)

(DSC01638.JPG)

(DSC01639.JPG)

(DSC01640.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01637.JPG (228KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC01638.JPG (198KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC01639.JPG (168KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC01640.JPG (177KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-07 4:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

I just want to say that the newest hosted "easy install disk image" is nothing short of amazing when paired with the RasPi! I am surfing the net at high speed... web pages and detailed images just go flying by, even I am rather amazed and battery life approaches 2 hours(with separate battery for RasPi... less so if Jornada powers the Zero 2.

This must be the result of Zram and Bx kernal patch... in any case... nothing short of amazing. We've (you know who you are) brought this baby into the 21st century, IMO. True, it's running without ssh encryption... so I will have to compare it with encryption... and determine battery life when both J720 and RasPi Zero2 run from the J720 battery.

Only major hurdle now is getting the two to connect with out the home router in between... and you can guess I have a few ideas up my sleeve on that one!

This from your humble (that may be a stretch!) HPCFactor servant, coming to you from the trenches (er.., rabbit holes). I think I smell "sweet victory" in our midst ( just hope I can scrape it off my "boots".

Now, I will have to learn how to make and upload a Demo Youtube Video to prove my point...

All the best,

joval ... and his j72(8) mated to a RasPi 4 this A.M.

Edited by joval 2021-12-07 4:25 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-07 4:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If the rPi has two WiNIC's, you can adhoc the 720 to NIC 2 and have NAT routing enabled to the Internet via NIC 1
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 12