x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next »
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2022-04-24 5:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hello Joval,
This is amazing work! Can you please make a 2 GB version of the Devuan image? Some of us don't have 4 GB flash cards. Also, I am getting an error while unzipping the 4 GB image. It says "headers error". If you could host 2 GB version, that would be great. Thank you!
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2022-04-25 7:28 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

marko - 2022-04-23 12:41 AM

Thanks!

Looks like the 32 GB image is broken; I get an error of archive end of file not correct when I open it. The 4 GB open no problem.

If I have a larger card than 4 GB, can I still flash it with the 4 GB image?

I tried again the 32 GB image and still no luck. Although I assume that what is in that image is mostly the same of what is in the 4 GB, right?

As far as expanding the 4 GB to 8 GB; I ended up using the previous 8 GB image you made, and replaced the content of the partitions with the 4 GB content. Problem solved

I tried to use an Orinoco Agere wifi card with Linux, but it does not seem to be working; I will try with a LAN card instead, so I don't have to battle with the wifi encryption and such. I may need to be online mostly to get packages
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-04-26 4:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Saidp - 2022-04-24 9:36 AM

Hello Joval,
This is amazing work! Can you please make a 2 GB version of the Devuan image? Some of us don't have 4 GB flash cards. Also, I am getting an error while unzipping the 4 GB image. It says "headers error". If you could host 2 GB version, that would be great. Thank you!

I haven't tested the images from HPCFACTOR, will try to do so in the next 2 weeks and correct things... time permitting. Thanks for the positive feedback. I never thought we would ever get these little beasties on the internet... so , yes rather amazing. Thanks mostly to Stefan's great work on the Devuan kernel, on WiFi connection manager, on Zram, Bx patch, etc.

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-04-26 4:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

marko - 2022-04-24 11:28 PM

marko - 2022-04-23 12:41 AM

Thanks!

Looks like the 32 GB image is broken; I get an error of archive end of file not correct when I open it. The 4 GB open no problem.

If I have a larger card than 4 GB, can I still flash it with the 4 GB image?

I tried again the 32 GB image and still no luck. Although I assume that what is in that image is mostly the same of what is in the 4 GB, right?

As far as expanding the 4 GB to 8 GB; I ended up using the previous 8 GB image you made, and replaced the content of the partitions with the 4 GB content. Problem solved

I tried to use an Orinoco Agere wifi card with Linux, but it does not seem to be working; I will try with a LAN card instead, so I don't have to battle with the wifi encryption and such. I may need to be online mostly to get packages

Sounds like you know what you're doing. The 32Gb (actually 31Gb) is the same but auto boots into desktop with startup of Jornada config. Which is really nice.

Some C.F. cards don't work see Stefan's site. I haven't tested the downloads from HPCFACTOR yet... maybe some issue in copying from my sugersync site... the 4Gb image works with any size 4Gb or larger and Timos Jornada-config will automatically resize to max it out. His site has details.

AFAIK, WPA WiFi is only possible with prism based cards with firmware upgrade to version 1.7 or 1.8 such as Netgear MA 401 or LinksysWpc11(version3 or less). Your router must allow wpa/wpa2, etc.

I'll try to get some screen shots up eventually. Enjoy.

Joval

Edited by joval 2022-04-26 4:56 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-05-24 2:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2022-04-25 8:38 PM

Saidp - 2022-04-24 9:36 AM

Hello Joval,

I haven't tested the images from HPCFACTOR, will try to do so in the next 2 weeks and correct things... time permitting. Thanks for the positive feedback. I never thought we would ever get these little beasties on the internet... so , yes rather amazing. Thanks mostly to Stefan's great work on the Devuan kernel, on WiFi connection manager, on Zram, Bx patch, etc.

Joval

Sorry about the delay... I just checked the HPCFactor download site and the Devuan-32Gb image is defective , it should be 536MB instead of the 281MB... so perhaps C:Amie will replace it with the full image.

Meanwhile it can be downloaded here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

I do apologize for the delay... as it is a very obvious truncated file error I could have recognized in a second without even burning it!

best regards

Joval
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-05-24 10:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-06-04 12:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2022-05-24 2:55 AM

I have re-uploaded both of them.
https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/1942/Devuan_D7_Images/version_20...

Hi All!
Great job, C:Amie! I have just downloaded both the 32Gb and 4Gb images and easily burned/written them (using free Win32Imager ) to SD and microSD cards.... and using the SD to CF "Slim" card adapter (Digigear)... both Images are working flawlessly now... both auto-log into the Desktop with Jornada-config window displayed!!! Easy peezy.

The larger 32Gb images displays Jornada-config window and a second Terminal window as well as battery level window, the 4Gb image displays Jornada-config window , battery level mini-window, and the Main Menu pops up too. These can be configured to your liking in the IceWM startup file ( location: /etc/X11/icewm/startup) if you want to fiddle around and customize.

This is my first post from one of my J720's with the new LED backlight and I must say it is very nice, bright and clear.

I confess I had to take a hiatus from devuan for a while... transitory "burn out" .... tryng to perfect things, dealing with glitching images.

But now I'm back and must admit that when wifi connected to a RasPi4 (as home server) and running VNCviewer... absolutely works great... from any room, so quick, no lag, tutorial videos run amazingly well. This via WPA wifi Netgear MA401 wifi card with v1.7 firmware upgrade.

Speedy little beastie... so great for posting. So, have at it Factorites!

joval from J720+LEDupgd/Devuan4Gbimage/WPA-wifi/SSH to Raspi4/VNCviewer/Firefox or Chrome

Edited by joval 2022-06-04 12:26 AM
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2022-06-12 5:57 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi have try to boot it on a j728 downloading the last image hosted. But the booting process ends with kernel panik warning.

I'm using a 32gb cf.

Any hints? I have seen in this thread that other members experimented the same problem.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-06-13 3:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

rgisondi - 2022-06-12 9:57 AM

Hi have try to boot it on a j728 downloading the last image hosted. But the booting process ends with kernel panik warning.

I'm using a 32gb cf.

Any hints? I have seen in this thread that other members experimented the same problem.

Hi,

The "kernel panic " can occur with a number of things:

Check/edit the PARAMS.txt for mem and root delay settings.
A.) Wrong memory size in file mem=32 or 64, depending on if J720 vs J728

B.)CF cards: Stefan recommends root delay=5 for CF cards as the bios/bootloader takes longer to locate the kernel file on the CF card, in my image I set root delay=2 works great with SD cards... probably too little for your CF card. So that might be an easy fix for you, change to root delay=5 in PARAMS.txt.

C) Look at Stefan's Jornada wiki... evidently some CF cards just don't work and he has some help in testing them. http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/doku.php?id=jornada_j720_linux_cfdriver

Lastly, with SD cards using a SD to CF adapter if the card is loose fitting, try removing it a re-seating it as poor contact can give kernel panic... red adapters are worse... can also give the "format card " error (usually an adapter issue) when card is placed in Jornada.

Let me know how it goes!

best regards,

Joval

Edited by joval 2022-06-13 3:53 AM
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2022-06-13 7:45 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks Joval, I cianged the params but still the same. I ordered a digigear adapter from a USA seller. It will arrive at the end of this month.

Edited by rgisondi 2022-06-13 7:46 AM
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2022-06-24 7:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The digigear adapter arrived today and with its help devuan booted on the jornada. Now I have to manage to get it online. I have an cisco 350 but I don't know if there is an available driver for it or another wlan cad that works by defoult
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2022-06-24 8:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I forgot to thank Dev null joval and the other people that have made devuan available and easily installable.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-06-29 1:12 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

rgisondi - 2022-06-24 11:41 AM

The digigear adapter arrived today and with its help devuan booted on the jornada. Now I have to manage to get it online. I have an cisco 350 but I don't know if there is an available driver for it or another wlan cad that works by defoult

The Cisco Aironet 350 requires both a linux driver and linux wifi app... so presently can't be used with dev_null (Stefan's)Devuan linux port.

AFAIK, only PRISM based cards work such as Netgear 401 and the Linksys WPC11. However these need a firmware upgrade to version 1.8 or 1.7. You can check out dev_null's site: Stefan's Jornada wiki he has some of the firmware files and some convoluted instructions using Linux. I found it much easier to use his firmware source files combined with a Windows program called WinUpdate (I think) and using an old windows laptop with a pcmcia slot. I wrote this all up somewhere, so try a search.

The Prism based cards will allow you to use WPA encryption (not WPA2) so set your home browser to WPA/WPA2 encryption and use a long password for better security. This will allow you to connect via your network to a RaspberryPi 3 or 4 using SSH and VNC so the jornada screen shows the RasPi desktop with browsers, terminals, any app, etc. If not using a RasPi for a fast full featured browsing experience on the Jornada (728 or equivalent 64MB ROM... works best) via VNC; you can always use the Jornada+wpa wifi to connect to the internet using the Lynx text browser or maybe Frogfind.com (thanks again Jake!) for text based browsing. For example, I downloaded some classic books from Project guttenberg using frogfind... which I have been using the Jornada to read from much like a paperback book... this was in WinCE mode not Devuan Linux as I use the "dual boot option'" All this is detailed elsewhere in this thread or others... just do a search with joval as author. BTW, I posted many long and windy threads on HPCFactor from my Jornada 72(8) using the /WPA/ssh/VNC/RasPi4 set-up...works great.

Stefan has the Ambicom 54WL cf card working with WPA2 encryption (these cards a super cheap on Ebay like $5)... but it is pathetically slow and only works with text based browser like Lynx. But it is probably one of the easiest to set up. Each wifi card needs to be configured with "connman" connection manager... although Timo's Jornada-config really helps ... so check out his wifi menu.

The easiest set up is to use an NE2000 ethernet pcmcia card in the Jornada slot with a wired tether to either your router or directly to the RasPi ethernet port (some tricks have been posted on how to set a static address for such). Again, if you can obtain a Ne2000 card on Ebay, this is the fastest, most secure connection... but requires a tether/cable (unless you use an ethernet2WIFI adapter... posted elsewhere). All this is located in a number of threads under my joval posts. There is also my post on how to emulate a right button mouse click which is not yet possible with Stefan's Devuan port.

And Thanks for letting me know you got the downloaded 32Gb Devuan image working!

Good luck,

Joval

Edited by joval 2022-06-29 1:29 AM
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2022-06-29 6:42 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi Stefan thanks for the tips.

I have to make one step at a time.

I got a WPC11 version 3 (it wil take about 20 days to arrive here). Does it need the firmware upgrade?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-07-01 1:59 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

rgisondi - 2022-06-28 10:42 PM

Hi Stefan thanks for the tips.

I have to make one step at a time.

I got a WPC11 version 3 (it wil take about 20 days to arrive here). Does it need the firmware upgrade?

Hi rgisondi,

Joval here (although I agree Stefan deserves by far the lion's share of credit for the Devuan Linux port, the connman wifi fix, Kernel patch, Zram memory compression, his great web site, etc.).

FYI, I built the 32GB disk image from Stefan's amazing work, made some changes to FAT 16=>a large Fat32 partition (for "dual boot-like option), and per Munchausen's suggestion changed the EXT4 partitions to EXT2, changed the desktop to Archimark's IceWM window manager from Fluxbox, added Timo's great Jornada-config app which he modeled after the Raspberry Pi, I also added many applications, discovered shortcuts to Ntware's VNC X-forwarding to RasPi, set up automated login, and configured Sudo "super user" without needing password (like RasPi). Karpour and others also contributed. "It takes a village"!

You have the correct WPC11 version 3 will do fine, it's 16 bit (version 4 doesn't work... it's cardbus 32 bit version... not compatible with Jornada.

It will probably need the firmware upgrade to 1.8... see dev_null (Stefan's site) for details or see this thread on updating firmware ( check out this page: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20175&st... ). It can be tricky, so backup the firmware... prior to flashing (WinUpdate has a dropdown menu for this). If you need more help/details... I can write something up. I used an old toshiba WindowsXP laptop with a pcmcia slot for the WPC11 firmware upgrade... super easy if you know what to do (and what not do)!

Joval

Edited by joval 2022-07-01 2:39 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11