x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 2:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Marko,

I have half a dozen 32Gb DevuanWPA laying around, popping them out like hotcakes.... can send you one pronto! Like these cost $6 bucks.... just say the word and one will be on the way! PM me with shipping details. I can send a proven SD to CF adapter as well. You may/can help update it with keys/Xkeys mod directions so I can host such.

To their credit ntware and stefans have covered the wifi WPA issue much earlier. Stefan with his Ambicom 11 Mbs wifi card which uses 1.8 firmware and presumed Linux based upgrade flashing. I discovered the Netgear MA401 can readily upgraded via Winupdate with firmware 1.7

I did "brick" one MA401 not realizing I should backup the firmware....very easy to do had I just looked at the Winupdate MENU before flashing.I can probably revive it with a DOS program sometime later. saving it for a rainy day.

ntware blazed the trail with his WPC11 WPA upgrade but could not upgrade the firmware to 1.8,
instead wrote a linux script to reload it with each use. Winupdate is Windows based and easily upgrades permanently but care must be taken to make backup copy and only upgrade the Secondary firmware (S010080.hex... I think
) and NEVER the primary (Pxxxxx.hex) alone, just the secondary! Or you brick it.

The breakthrough was Stefan sharing his Connmanctl find, rendering WPA2 on the Ambicom WL54 possible. Yet, it really simplifies the WPA wifi set up as well using Stefan's Devuan OS/tar/img.

Now, battery life is shorter than with ethernet, and the J720/728 underside gets a little warm.... but the freedom is very nice and multiple J720's can log into the one RasPi, so units upstairs or downstairs can share the same site, write on same blog,etc. Like this one... Quite nice.

joval

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 6:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hosted SD Card images of (Stefan's) Devuan OS can be found here. Latest is 32Gb ( about 40% Fat32 for WinCe, 55% Devuan/Linux... with WPA wifi support, more to follow:

https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697 Please donate to HPCFactor a few bucks, and give feedback. Thanks in advance.

Joval
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 4:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Joval.....

Just tried the new SD-CF adapter with a 32GB SanDisk microSD in SD adapter.

When I look in the My Handheld PC folder, I see Storage Card2 folder. When I look in that folder, nothing is shown.

I inserted my CF card with Stefan's image on it and I can see all the files on the card.

So, either I got another bum SD-CF adapter card or my J720 is allergic to SD cards.....

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 4:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Yes, It sometimes comes up as storage card 2, a few hard resets may lead to success, or reinsert card.

Can the jornada open storage card 2 and see boot files on (A-jlinexec, zImage, PARAMS.txt , or is the drive blank/empty?

Also, try booting from your Pcmcia card if you have an adapter.

I have a handful of J720's (some have Rom of 64Mb...728 equivalent , some 32Mb...J720 stock) ALL working off the hosted sd card images. Might try the 2 Gb image until this is settled in your favor.

Hoping for the best. Eventually, you will be pleased., this I know! I will post some photos, now installing screen capture program.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-28 4:52 PM

(screen.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments screen.jpg (47KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 5:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Joval....

When I open storage card 2 nothing is shown....no files shown....

Just tried putting adapter card in the PC card adapter....same thing, nothing shown in card folder....

Will try 2GB image.....

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 6:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,

Oh, I see, nothing shows in the storage card 2 files... this means it is only seeing the 2nd partition, the ext2 one, as partition1. So, some format issue with the Fat32 partition.

I suggest putting the sd card into a windows or Mac or linuxcomputer... and you should see partition one... copy all the files on Partion 1/Fat32/boot drive.. to your laptop. Then use a tool like minitoolpartition manager (something like that) or Gparted (Linux) and reformat partition one as Fat32, followed by pasting all the boot files back. Be sure to make it "active" or bootable too.

Give it a try, or try another smaller image, I recently loaded a 31Gb image too...as some 32Gb cards are only 31Gb. You are very very close to success, my friend. I've been there... WinCE is only seeing Partition2 as a second storage drive.

joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-28 6:13 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 6:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Okie Dokie, Coach.....will do.....and report back.....

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 6:24 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Just put SD-CF card adapter with microSD in SD adapter in laptop in Windows.....

Message came up immediately that I need to format drive E: before I can use it....

So, you're right, something funky with the FAT32 partition....

Reformatted partition, then copied files on partition....

Put back in J720 and Voila! No files shown.....

Downloading your 31GB file now....will try that and report back.....

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 7:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-07-28 10:24 AM

Just put SD-CF card adapter with microSD in SD adapter in laptop in Windows.....

Message came up immediately that I need to format drive E: before I can use it....

So, you're right, something funky with the FAT32 partition....

Unless you have a drive D: on your laptop, drive E; would likely be the ext2 patition 2, and partition 1 would be the Fat32 as D: and so I don't format E:

what did you see on your partion manager ( minitool etc), 3 partitions? I'm wondering if I forgot to assign a drive letter to Partition 1, then it wouldn't be seen by WinCE... so , would you kindly check that on your next image and "report back."

Ever so sweet the victory will be!

So how do you like the Fluxbox "utility workspace windows" screen image,( I have vncviewer on a different workspace...)?

joval via J720/WPA/RasPi/VNC Hybrid

Edited by joval 2021-07-28 8:03 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 8:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Joval....

Yes, nice image in your recent post.....like what I see....

Yes, have DVD drive as D: drive....so, did format....and then copy files onto it.

Looking at card in Windows DiskManagement, I only see the E: partition.......

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-28 9:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-07-28 12:10 PM

Thanks, Joval....

Yes, nice image in your recent post.....like what I see....

Yes, have DVD drive as D: drive....so, did format....and then copy files onto it.

Looking at card in Windows DiskManagement, I only see the E: partition.......

Sorry to say but proprietary Windows DM can't see Linux partitions! ..so you really need to install the FREE version of miniTool Partition Wizard here: https://www.partitionwizard.com/ Then we'll be on the same page... It will open your eyes, so to speak.

joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-28 9:19 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-29 4:42 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Oh my, I hope I haven't lost ArchiMark... my "trusted partner in crime!" He needs a rest, perhaps. Good man, serving the cause with such integrity and committment!

Devuan 4Gb, 32Gb images are hosted here: https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D4898663_09915533_66697

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-29 4:47 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-29 5:21 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

OK, installed PW....

Not clear how to put image file on SD with it.....

UPDATE

OK, never mind.....

PW just to see partitions including Linux format....and Win32_DI to image card.....

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-07-29 5:30 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-29 12:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-07-28 9:21 PM

OK, installed PW....

Not clear how to put image file on SD with it.....

UPDATE

OK, never mind.....

PW just to see partitions including Linux format....and Win32_DI to image card.....

Great, excellent, exellent!

That's right, you can check for all 3 partitions. If need to "explore" the Fat32. You can delete partition 1 and then create a new fat32, set active (bootable, Click apply, etc. Then copy boot files (saved before partition deleted,right?)using windows explorer or other file manager).

Gives you a way to confirm that Win32imager and card adapter are burning a proper image Fat32, ext2, linux swap partitions. If this fails suggest try a different sd card/microsd card.

Sure hope it works for you, buddy!! No more singing the blues

I will re-host the 2GB img if needed.

best regards
joval

on his j720/Devuan/WPA/RasPI/Firefox discombobulation !

Edited by joval 2021-07-29 12:36 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-07-29 3:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Which word processor can a person use with Devuan?

Jake
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 32