x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easy Devuan J720 install from disk image!!

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-29 3:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2021-07-29 7:21 AM

Which word processor can a person use with Devuan?

Jake

Stefan included Leafpad... in his port, you can change fonts and sizes, rather simple otherwise. RasPi has a similar text editor, MousePad, in addition allows colored text, but RasPi can run sophisticated word processors since it's a Debian derivative...should run Open Office AFAIK for example. So, best if you ssh and/or vcn into a RasPi 3 (quad core) via ethenet (fastest up to 600KB/s) or WPA wifi (about 300KB/s max).

joval
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-07-29 6:32 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Thank you for the heads-up.

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-30 12:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2021-07-29 10:32 AM

Thank you for the heads-up.

Jake

Leafpad isn't listed in the menu so open xterm run box with "ctrl + mail key" (F2)... top row are like function keys F1, F2,...F11) or bash (ctrl + explorer key (F1)and type "leafpad" and it opens ina new window. I also added NTP automatic time updating, and Midnight Commander (type "mc" file manager... great for setting screen contrast, and xtigervncviewer for direct vnc connection, bypassing X-forwarding,. etc.

Hey,I have a question, I am new to Lynx / text browser. Stefan got the J720 +AmbicomWL54 wifi card to log onto WPA2 networks... however speed is very slow around 10 kb/s... so only feasible for Lynx.

Earlier you mentioned web sites you connect to with your serial connection on your older model hpc. Is there a good email program that you recommend, and I think you said you pay for websites to be converted for you. any info appreciated.

joval

posted on a J720/Devuan/WPA/RasPi/VNC contraption!

Edited by joval 2021-07-30 1:18 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-30 2:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-07-28 10:01 AM

Mark,

Oh, I see, nothing shows in the storage card 2 files... this means it is only seeing the 2nd partition, the ext2 one, as partition1. So, some format issue with the Fat32 partition.

I suggest putting the sd card into a windows or Mac or linuxcomputer... and you should see partition one... copy all the files on Partion 1/Fat32/boot drive.. to your laptop. Then use a tool like minitoolpartition manager (something like that) or Gparted (Linux) and reformat partition one as Fat32, followed by pasting all the boot files back. Be sure to make it "active" or bootable too.

Give it a try, or try another smaller image, I recently loaded a 31Gb image too...as some 32Gb cards are only 31Gb. You are very very close to success, my friend. I've been there... WinCE is only seeing Partition2 as a second storage drive.

joval

Hi Coach,

Did all that you suggested using GParted in linux......including setting flag to 'boot'. Can see all the partitions in GParted and see all the files in file manager.....

First time I put microSD in SD adapter in SD - CF adapter, when I opened 'storage card2', nothing shown inside that directory.

Second time I tried, I get window with message asking if I want to format card so that I can use it.

Assume something's funky with the SD - CF adapter?

Mark
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-07-30 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@joval--the lightest weight email program is, of course, MUTT. But it has a big learning curve and I just haven't mustered the effort to get it going. Instead, I used Sylpheed or its offshoot cousin, Claws (Claws is a little heavier).

As for keeping up with the world, I mostly use full-text RSS feeds through fivefilters.com. You can get 3 full-text feeds per site for free, or 10 per feed for a yearly fee. Is newsbeuter available in the Devuan repository? It's a terminal rss reader, very lightweight. Newsboat is its updated, bastard cousin.

As for sites that play well with old browsers (can you get Links2 to install?):

m.cnn.com
text.npr.org
68k.news

As for playing well with Lynx/Links2, any website can be successfully stripped down and viewed as long as the ssl files are up-to-date.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2021-07-30 4:24 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-30 5:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2021-07-29 6:22 PM

Hi Coach,

Did all that you suggested using GParted in linux......including setting flag to 'boot'. Can see all the partitions in GParted and see all the files in file manager.....

First time I put microSD in SD adapter in SD - CF adapter, when I opened 'storage card2', nothing shown inside that directory.

Second time I tried, I get window with message asking if I want to format card so that I can use it.

Assume something's funky with the SD - CF adapter?

Mark

Mark.. Haha, what coach?? at this rate I don't expect my contract to be renewed next year!!

You seem to be reliving a version of what I went through 2 months ago with the cheapy 31 GB cards... after a zillion trials I could not ever create an ext2/ext4 partition. Drove me (near?) crazy. Oddly, they would burn a successful Win32imager image (but not pass Etcher verify so failed that step) and I am using them now in several J720's with 64MB rom card upgrade... before hosting the 31Gb image I ran it through Gparted to repair the ext2 partition (which using RasPi CLI "fsck.ext2 shot out endless node errors it tried but could not fix)...).

You're running with the 128 Rom board upgrade...let's assume that isn't having any effect here. Have you tried any other SD Cards...or microSD cards. I'd expect less errors with SD card as it's one adapter less.

Again my offer to send you something that does work so you can have some fun while you work things out. Or send me your card and adapter in exchange so I may try to find a fix. Also I can loan you a spare 32Mb Rom board if necessary to eliminate any concern there. Hurry, this is a Limited Time Offer, expires in 5000 years...but that's not all"

best regards,
joval

on J720/ethernet/Dev/RasPi/FireFox combo

Edited by joval 2021-07-30 5:33 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-30 6:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, Obi-Wan-Joval.....formerly Coach......

I have tried other cards....SD, CF, microSD......but will try SD card again....

If no go, will take you up on your offer and send you my adapter card and card....

best regards to you,

lil' Devuan grasshoppa Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-31 2:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake,

Many thanks... just what I was looking for!. Will give it a try at Starbucks, etc , test out the WPA2 access Stefan worked out with the Ambicom WL54 wifi card. Best of both worlds, IMO. Much appreciated...

joval

posted via J720/Devuan/ethernet/RasPi/VNC
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-08-03 4:00 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I use w3m on my J820 in Debian and most of the time lynx from the terminal if I feel like simple, quick browsing in my WSL editions. I usually hit 68k first for news followed occasionally by text.npr
The devuan repositories have lynx, links2, elinks, newsbeuter and w3m: https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/policy-query.html?c=package&q=w3m...
and possibly others along with dillo.

Edit: The repositories also have 'newsboat 2.21-1', a fork of newsbeuter, with the fork currently at version 2.24 released on 20th of June 2021.

Edited by Mjolnir 2021-08-03 4:16 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-08-03 8:10 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

That's a full repo, to be sure. Should hold the users in good stead. I wish someone had ported lynx, etc to WinCE.

Jake
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-08-03 9:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2021-08-03 8:10 PM

That's a full repo, to be sure. Should hold the users in good stead. I wish someone had ported lynx, etc to WinCE.

Jake

So do I - would have been ideal for low memory, portable devices.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-04 5:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

FYI, there have been about 40 downloads of these hosted images (actual number is near 80 but both ArchiMark and I have probably downloaded 30 or 40 with our testing, trouble shooting.

If anyone is having success burning the images and running Stefan's great Devuan port... Please let me know by a short post here. Thanks in advance.

Any of you running into difficulty as ArchiMark has, I welcome any feedback. I will examine his problematic SD Card and adapter tomorrow and report back. Stay tuned.

For the present, I will continue to host images of various sizes and functionality. I know there are a number of things left undone... Xmod, etc. The present 31/32GB images have working Connman (connection manager) so WPA and WPA2 connections are feasible with proper wifi cards.

Gonna get 'er done... over time!

joval

posted on J720/Devuan/WPA wifi/RasPi/VNC set up
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-04 8:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI burned images appear to be good! CF to SD card adapter are very problematic. Here is recent PM explaining the issue that ArchiMark had, SDCard image good, adapter faulty:

Mark,
Just arrived in the office and opened your package. No luck booting with your adapter, neither your SDCard nor one of my working microSDCards==>defective adapter, again!!

Put your card in my known working adapter==> boots right up and connected with Ambicom wl54 to one of office WPA2. So image and burning process is all good.

Put my known working microSD card into your faulty adapter==> sometimes show up as storage but no boot, other times no storage shown. Sorry about the crappy adapters. Will see if I can repair or if not, return.

So, give my image a try... should connect WPA2, and WPA too.

best regards

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 12:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mark,

here is a photo of YOUR 32Gb SDCARD running Devuan on one of my J720(64MbROM)'s. Once configured it auto connects to the office WPA2 router via the Ambicom WL54CF wifi card...here showing text.NPR.org in Lynx.

I think the iw and supplicant and even interfaces files just have the potential to gum up the works for Connman... check your /etc/network/interfaces file and makew sure there are no entries for wifi0 or wlan0...

It lives, it lives!!

Joval

(Lynx AmbicomWL54_WPA2_NPR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Lynx AmbicomWL54_WPA2_NPR.jpg (363KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-05 12:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hey, Joval, looks great!

Thanks for the pic.....

Gives me hope....

Checked my interfaces file and it is almost empty......no references to wifi0 or wlan0.

Mark

PS. did you see the pics I posted today in Stefan's thread?.......
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.202 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10