x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Japanese Jornada 690 -- interface translation is exist?

Just_Another Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello! I'm a retrotech fan youngster who recently bought Japanese Jornada 690. It's working perfectly (not mind the battery, which is old and tired) but Japanese interface is not good for me. If anywhere exists some software/ROM update which could convert UI to English? Thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 1:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi. I have Japanese MUI file, but unfortunately it is only for Handheld PC 2000. I believe there are no MUI file for Handheld PC Pro.

You could try installing Linux, but it is rather advanced.

Edited by stingraze 2021-07-02 1:29 PM
 Top of the page
Just_Another Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 4:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

stingraze - 2021-07-02 1:28 PM

Hi. I have Japanese MUI file, but unfortunately it is only for Handheld PC 2000. I believe there are no MUI file for Handheld PC Pro.

You could try installing Linux, but it is rather advanced.

Oh, I see. Suspected something like this. Also, heard an advice to find a ROM backup from English-UI Jornada 690 and use it on mine. This will work or a bad idea?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 6:17 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Since Japanese keyboard usually have keys English ones don't, it might mess up with keymap even if you can somehow change ROM (I think it is in the board?) Next best is search on how to install Linux. It is a little hard, but there are people here who can help you.

Edited by stingraze 2021-07-02 6:18 PM
 Top of the page
Just_Another Page Icon Posted 2021-09-25 3:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It's me again. I've abandoned idea to convert interface, instead trying to find software with less painful Cyrillic layout (the main one, RussKey, is a complete mess where for "." and "," I forced to switch to English!) and found one (LEng from ParagonSoftware, if someone interested)... but it seems it breaks software part of my poor Jornada: after first or second soft-reset screen becomes messed and only hard-reset can fix that. This means it's totally incompatible? Maybe, I should play with system registry?

Edited by Just_Another 2021-09-25 3:44 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-09-26 1:31 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Interesting.
Was there a version of LEng that is compiled for Handheld PC Pro 3.0? It will be interesting to know.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-09-26 8:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE 2.11 doesn't support MUI and the 690 has a single use ROM, so you have to replace the chip to even contemplate changing the ROM, there is not flash process. There was never any higher ROM chip version for it either.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-09-26 9:59 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I knew that. That was why I was curious.

Edited by stingraze 2021-09-26 10:00 AM
 Top of the page
Just_Another Page Icon Posted 2021-09-26 8:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

stingraze
Was there a version of LEng that is compiled for Handheld PC Pro 3.0?

At least I know about version of LEng for Jornada 720, link here (it's in Russian but you can use translator) Russian site with soft for HPC

C:Amie
Yep, I found that when doing research about my device. So, the strange behavior of RusCE is simply because it's conflicting with ROM? I mean software trying to install that MUI but cannot and it's causing issues? In that case I'll try that Linux option.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-10-18 2:58 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ah...

I checked the Russian site, the link to the HPC2000 LEng is dead, and it's for Windows CE 3.0+, which means Windows CE 2.11 (HPC 3.0) is not supported.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 29