x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

12.6 inch "Huge" H/PC like Device

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 6:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

They say it’s a keyboard, but take a look at this on kickstarter. Seems like you can connect to Android, Windows or Mac and have a keyboard with screen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ficihp/ficihp-multifunctional-k...

Pretty interesting.

Edited by stingraze 2021-07-02 6:43 PM
 Top of the page
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2021-07-02 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It reminds me a lot of a TRS-80 Model 100. Looks like it'll just act like a secondary display. It would be amazing if it could be hacked to run Linux standalone.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-07-04 1:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Or the Tandy WP-2. Very intriguing. Says "no software needed," so that might mean it's a touch screen monitor/keyboard only, without anything in its guts to hack. On the other hand, if it caught on, Vers. 2 might have space io insert a Raspberry Pi, etc. Lots of physical space to work with, for sure.

Edit: Hmm. Seems as if it needs a usb cable to run it. So we'd need room for a battery, as well. Pretty large one, too.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2021-07-04 1:53 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-07-05 9:34 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Just thinking, but maybe if you can use a USB-C power injector like those used in PoE (Power over Ethernet) it might work in getting single cable to do both power and cabling from devices.
For example this: or this:

Thanks, nathanpc and Jake for your comments on the similarity between old devices.
I searched, and also found this: Amstrad NC 100
https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=753

I never heard of it before, maybe it's rare?

Edited by stingraze 2021-07-05 9:51 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-07-05 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Never saw the NC 100 before. Great price for what it was. The WP-2 was about $350USD, I think, and you really needed the add-on storage, expensive as well. No desktop app for the WP-2, so no cross-platform access, other than ASCII. Prolly the same for the NC 100, too. Always the dilemma for proprietary word processing, etc. HP Palmtop recognized that and gave you CPACK for DOS, which helps even now, and there was so much user-developed HP conversion software that one could easily go back and forth.

Never heard of a USB power injector, either. stingraze, the stuff you know...

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.175 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9