x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help: cannot run linux (something went wrong, unable to boot)

marko Page Icon Posted 2021-07-06 8:19 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Today I decided to install Linux on a 8 GB CF card; following the info on http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/doku.php?id=jornada_j720_devuanlinux

Although it does not boot, and I do not know why. The only message I get when I run the Jlinexec is "something went wrong, unable to boot"

I used a Linux VM running debian to format the card; created a fat16 partition of 300 MB, 7 GB Linux partition and a 160 MB scratch partition; I formatted all 3 partitions no problem, installed on the first partition the kernel, config text file and jlinexec; on the linux partition I copied the content of the tar file downloaded from the link on the website I linked earlier.

How do I troubleshoot why the boot is not happening? I didn't touch the content of params.txt, it is as is. The name of the storage card is "Storage Card2"

\Storage Card2\zimage 
\Storage Card2root=/dev/hda2 mem=32m

Edited by marko 2021-07-06 8:19 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-07-06 8:31 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I read on the other thread that the Storage card name has to be "Storage Card", not "Storage Card 2"?

might be the problem.
-stingraze
 Top of the page
can't remember Page Icon Posted 2021-07-06 11:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

stingraze - 2021-07-07 4:31 AM

I read on the other thread that the Storage card name has to be "Storage Card", not "Storage Card 2"?

might be the problem.
-stingraze

That was me who had the same issue and that's indeed the problem (I had the same error message). The solution is to remove all cards except the one that has Linux installed from the Jornada, then reset the OS with the reset button that's to the left of the Q using the stylus or a pencil. Once it restarts your card will appear as "Storage Card" and you will be able to boot into Linux.

I also see that you have changed the boot file to "\Storage Card2\" I have also tried that but it doesn't work, change it back to "\Storage Card\" and try the above method.

Last edit because I just realized that you installed it manually, not using the .img that was posted in the other thread. The problem is the same (jlinexec not finding the correct Storage Card) but the solution may not be exactly the same (hopefully it is so please let us know if it worked).

Edited by can't remember 2021-07-06 11:44 PM
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-07-07 3:21 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks! There is a step to perform basically: once you put the card in the slot, you need a soft reset. When the OS load again, your card will be called "Storage Card".

Although; no luck booting up sadly... It load a bit the it fail and lock the OS

Failed to mount tmpfs at /sys/fs/cgroup: no such file or directory
Failed to mount cgroup at /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: no such file or directory
[!!!!!!!] Failed to mount API filesystems, freezing
Systemd[1]: Freezing execution.

If I try to reset then the screen come up white; the controls to turn down the brightness does not fix the issue, so you need to remove the battery and force a reset. How is Linux even usable in this state? Am I missing something to do before pop in the CF card back in the Jornada?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-07 5:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

marko - 2021-07-06 7:21 PM

Thanks! There is a step to perform basically: once you put the card in the slot, you need a soft reset. When the OS load again, your card will be called "Storage Card".

Although; no luck booting up sadly... It load a bit the it fail and lock the OS

Failed to mount tmpfs at /sys/fs/cgroup: no such file or directory
Failed to mount cgroup at /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: no such file or directory
[!!!!!!!] Failed to mount API filesystems, freezing
Systemd[1]: Freezing execution.

If I try to reset then the screen come up white; the controls to turn down the brightness does not fix the issue, so you need to remove the battery and force a reset. How is Linux even usable in this state? Am I missing something to do before pop in the CF card back in the Jornada?

IMO I recommend a hard reset when you encounter problems like that... although it sounds as though your tar.bz file might be faulty or its extraction., etc. I've been down that roads many times...but I have most all of it ironed out in my hosted Devuan image of Stefan's great and wonderful work/port.

When you boot into Linux/Devuan it overwrites all the memory registers and erases all traces of WinCE so you get the white screen until you do a "hard reset" with ALL batteries out and unplugged... so that WinCE reloads from it's built in stock ROM image. Which is why you need to make a WinCE HP backup BEFORE you start/boot Jlinexec on the storage card, so you can get back all your custom apps, files, etc.

You're really gonna love it when you get it set up properly and can surf the internet via X-forwarding from a $35 Raspberry Pi, forhours at a time, with sound/music... sort of as a mini-micro desktop.

joval
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-07-08 12:30 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

joval - 2021-07-07 5:16 AM

IMO I recommend a hard reset when you encounter problems like that... although it sounds as though your tar.bz file might be faulty or its extraction., etc. I've been down that roads many times...but I have most all of it ironed out in my hosted Devuan image of Stefan's great and wonderful work/port.

When you boot into Linux/Devuan it overwrites all the memory registers and erases all traces of WinCE so you get the white screen until you do a "hard reset" with ALL batteries out and unplugged... so that WinCE reloads from it's built in stock ROM image. Which is why you need to make a WinCE HP backup BEFORE you start/boot Jlinexec on the storage card, so you can get back all your custom apps, files, etc.

You're really gonna love it when you get it set up properly and can surf the internet via X-forwarding from a $35 Raspberry Pi, forhours at a time, with sound/music... sort of as a mini-micro desktop.

joval

I went through 3-4 hard reset and re-install everything but for some reasons the issue was repeating itself. I guess my VM was messing up the card setup or copy of the tar file.

Downloaded your image and it works out of the box; much appreciated! figured out that to reboot I need ctrl-alt-del because the usual `reboot` or `shutdown now` commands does not exist on that distribution.

Also I noticed that when I run Xserver, the right and left click are inverted (tapping cause a right click; alt-tap cause a left click); and some labels are in German I believe, but it works like a charm! Just working around a way to connect the device to internet via LAN (got a wifi card but I can't open my wifi router to security holes and there is no free wifi around my home), since I have found a cheap 3com LAN PCMCIA adapter.
And I can't figure out how to expand the filesystem; the image is 2 GB; but I am using a 4 GB card, so I would like to expand the linux partition to cover the whole disk
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-08 1:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Marko
Downloaded your image and it works out of the box; much appreciated! figured out that to reboot I need ctrl-alt-del because the usual `reboot` or `shutdown now` commands does not exist on that distribution.

Also I noticed that when I run Xserver, the right and left click are inverted (tapping cause a right click; alt-tap cause a left click); and some labels are in German I believe, but it works like a charm!

Happy to know that image works well for you. I will attend to the other issues soon. Yeah, I made some changes to Fluxbox screen tap options, I think for the better. See my detail on how to change the menu from german (Stefan's the magic man behind this great Devuan port... lives in Austria). I have larger sd card size images... but will find a way to compress them before posting. Be patient. Play around.

FYI, "reboot " command works but you must be in Root or superuser mode: su, password r00t , then when root prompt appears: reboot.(RasPi is easier as a regular user just add sudo before the command: sudo reboot). I agree several " ctrl-alt-delete's" work fine as alternative.

Recommend ethernet card if you can find one(for RasPi internet/youtube/etc access.Aironet wifi 350 cards are $12 buck or less on ebay... should work for WPA or NetgearMA401 also. ntware is the guy with the know how, as well as Stefan on setting up WPA_supplicant.

Pleased the devuan image is "working right out of the box." That's what I have been aiming for since last November! Thanks for the feedback, makes all the blood sweat and tears worthwhile (well...almost ).

joval

Edited by joval 2021-07-08 1:51 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-07-08 5:17 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Marko

if you have a RasPi or other linux system, you can enlarge the Devuan/Linux partition by installing "gparted" and use it on your 4Gb SD Card (you will have to delete the swap partition 3 and recreate after resizing the ext2 partition2. You may need to repair the boot files location...I guess Gparted has a tutorial on how to do that if necessary in it's FAQ section.

I'm trying it out now to see if I can create a 4Gb image for download.

joval
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-07-11 6:32 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

joval - 2021-07-08 1:41 AM

Marko

Also I noticed that when I run Xserver, the right and left click are inverted (tapping cause a right click; alt-tap cause a left click); and some labels are in German I believe, but it works like a charm!

Happy to know that image works well for you. I will attend to the other issues soon. Yeah, I made some changes to Fluxbox screen tap options, I think for the better. See my detail on how to change the menu from german (Stefan's the magic man behind this great Devuan port... lives in Austria). I have larger sd card size images... but will find a way to compress them before posting. Be patient. Play around.

FYI, "reboot " command works but you must be in Root or superuser mode: su, password r00t , then when root prompt appears: reboot.(RasPi is easier as a regular user just add sudo before the command: sudo reboot). I agree several " ctrl-alt-delete's" work fine as alternative.

Recommend ethernet card if you can find one(for RasPi internet/youtube/etc access.Aironet wifi 350 cards are $12 buck or less on ebay... should work for WPA or NetgearMA401 also. ntware is the guy with the know how, as well as Stefan on setting up WPA_supplicant.

Pleased the devuan image is "working right out of the box." That's what I have been aiming for since last November! Thanks for the feedback, makes all the blood sweat and tears worthwhile (well...almost ).

joval

Thanks for the hints! Honestly I was surprised that everything would just work, but this is a testament to the time you spent to make it so. Thanks again for your efforts!

I can use the key combos to reboot, not a big deal; swapping to root just to shut down the OS seems too much of a hassle for me I need to take a look at flubox settings so I can learn where to put my hands on

So there is a way to use secure wifi on those devices? I just don't want to pair the 720 with a pi; for the simple reason that I want one thing that I pack in my pocket and I am good to go; no extra cables, dongles and stuff
Also I am still trying to figure out how to expand the filesystem and how to install software on the distro; having no internet access because my only available card does not get recognized (3Com 3C589C), put me in the situation where I need to copy files on the CF card to move them from my computer to the j720; although I do not even know how you do that... I am used to apt-get
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10