x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Bad news for Windows 11 -- WMDC is toast

ax0n Page Icon Posted 2021-07-08 5:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

On my ThinkPad, I've been running Windows 10 in "Windows Insider Preview" mode on the "Dev Track" -- which is kind of like running beta Windows all the time. Bleeding edge stuff. Well, shortly after the Windows 11 announcement, my Windows 10 build started to look and feel an awful lot like the Windows 11 screenshots, and that's about the time Windows Mobile Device Center stopped working for me, even with the Juniper Systems "WMDC Fixes" patch.

Fortunately, I don't rely much on syncing to my desktop. I frequently use HP backup to make backups to CF cards (or rather, SD cards in a CF adapter) but this should be fair warning for anyone who's been using WMDC and relies on it in any way. Days are numbered.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-07-08 5:59 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

ax0n, thank you for the heads up! I shall delay moving to win11 for now at least.

Interestingly I have seen the palm hotsync working on Win11, so its clearly just MS causing the issues!

Perhaps someone will create a fix - there are still quite a lot of legacy handhelds in use by company's so you never know....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-07-09 2:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Based on the current prognosis, I think that Windows 11 is going to be toast and all!

It is certainly looking like it will become (rightly or wrongly) the new Vista for many.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-07-09 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Win10 EOL is October 14th, 2025. If Win11 tanks, do folks think Win10's EOL will be extended? Was XP's EOL ever extended due to Vista's failures?

Jake
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-07-09 6:13 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Jake, I could be wrong but I think XP had the longest support of any version of windows precisely because of Vista and the poor uptake of 7 by everyone who had been bitten already and reverted back to XP....

So yes I think if win 11 is rubbish the EOL on 10 will be extended
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-07-09 8:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Works for me

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-07-12 11:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

By 2025, as you will need Intel 8th Gen or newer for Windows 11 based on the current spec, that kit will be 7 years old. I can see Microsoft a) wanting x86 to be done and dusted before then and b) that we'll be living in an ARM world by that point and might be starting to have similar thoughts about x64. Consequently, I suspect that Microsoft will push back against extending it. It really depends on how many companies offer counter pressure in trying to continue to run inexcusably insecure computing hardware purchased in 2018 post 2025. Given that we can predict a significant increase in media visible data breaches between now and then. I would not be convinced that the world will be as accommodating towards companies trying to save money by keeping dead 2018 tech alive in order to continue to roll Windows 10. Not in the same way as the world was as accommodating with Windows XP and Windows 7 anyway.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-07-13 4:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Given my aging hardware, I wonder what my EOL is. 2025 may be time enough

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-07-14 9:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Interestingly, some folks have done some analysis and there appears to currently be nothing in the Windows 11 kernel that mandates the need for an 8th Gen+ or a TPM. It'll boot up fine all the way back to a non-UEFI 2009 Core 2 Duo without issue. Making the "minimum requirements" (currently) artificial in nature.

Does everyone know what to check in Windows/the UEFI/BIOS to see if their system can be made compatible? I can do a quick guide if you want.
 Top of the page
tell Page Icon Posted 2021-10-16 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Back to the thread title. Registered to say, no, it's working for me with the Juniper Systems "WMDC Fixes". You got me worried with the post but no on the production version of Windows 11 Home after the first Tuesday update....

Use the MSI posted by Juniper Systems not their Helper software. .net35 etc is enabled.

Plug it into an HTC HD2 and WMDC stirs into life. It was a Windows 11 update onto Windows 10 but I doubt that has a bearing.

Yep so all good.
 Top of the page
andrej2112 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-16 8:17 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Newest pc I have is laptop 5 gen intel, tehnically taken from junk and repaired, so no no windows 11

Don"t know about you guys but giving 1000 usd for a phone or new notebook, every day seems more and more as "funny idea"!

Edited by andrej2112 2021-10-16 8:21 PM
 Top of the page
tell Page Icon Posted 2021-10-16 8:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ah worked for me on a 9 year old i3

Success yesterday on an i3 and i5 64 bit computers going round the houses on WWW advice and hints. The only one that worked for me was a Github project

github.com
GitHub - coofcookie/Windows11Upgrade: Windows 11 Upgrade tool that bypasses Microsoft´s requirements
Windows 11 Upgrade tool that bypasses Microsoft´s requirements - GitHub - coofcookie/Windows11Upgrade: Windows 11 Upgrade tool that bypasses Microsoft´s requirements
github.com github.com

All the rest with regedit parameters didn't.

Download your Windows 11 Iso and make sure you select English international if that is what you are on after unzipping, before running the exe file from the Github project as Administrator.

Reference and details here:

appuals.com
How to Bypass Windows 11 Installation Requirements? Install Windows 11 on Any Computer - Appuals.com
On top of being unnecessarily confusing, the new system requirements announced for Windows 11 by Microsoft might create a cluster of underlying problems
appuals.com appuals.com

Only works for Chinese and English for the "Upgrade". The rest are clean and data installs. Upgrade you keep your apps and data plus local login if that's how you have it... not forced down the Microsoft online login route.

(Let you put that in a Google, Github code was brilliant)
 Top of the page
Medianl Page Icon Posted 2022-10-03 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This is How to Bypass Windows 11 Installation Requirements? Install Windows 11 on Any Computer https://appuals.com/bypass-windows-11-installation-requirements/
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 13