x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-20 5:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Andronix has a similar approach to Linux Deploy, but using PRoot instead of chroot. The main advantage is that PRoot does not require true root privileges. It works, but it is a much slower approach as you don't have "native root". PRoot fakes root using ptrace() calls to hijack system call arguments and return values and fake the visible file system layout and user/group IDs. You will notice that your Linux install will be a bit "laggy", it won't feel native to the system. If you want a more fluid response the best approach is definitely using a rooted Android that gives you full access to the filesystem.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-20 7:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I see. Will try it out and see the difference.

I finally managed to get Debian with i3 working.

Edited by stingraze 2021-08-20 7:12 PM

(cosmo-debian.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cosmo-debian.jpg (167KB - 0 downloads)
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-20 8:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

@ ntware

Thanks for explaining differences, ntware. Very helpful.

Also, like seeing the screenshots you posted.

@ stingraze

Way to go, good job!

Thanks for posting screenshot......

Look forward to your next report....

Mark

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-21 12:54 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes! rooting went very smoothly and got it up and running. I now need to configure Linux Deploy.

Update: Oops! I forgot to do Magisk Manager thing. Doing now.

Edited by stingraze 2021-08-21 1:10 AM

(cosmo-root.jpg)

(cosmo-root2.jpg)

(cosmo-root3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cosmo-root.jpg (217KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments cosmo-root2.jpg (213KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments cosmo-root3.jpg (226KB - 0 downloads)
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-21 2:32 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Got it working.

I couldn't figure out the path to my SD card so I am using file. (linux.img)

Edited by stingraze 2021-08-21 2:43 AM

(cosmovnc.jpg)

(cosmoremote.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cosmovnc.jpg (210KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments cosmoremote.jpg (207KB - 0 downloads)
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-21 2:30 PM
#
H/PC Elite

stingraze - 2021-08-20 9:32 PM
I couldn't figure out the path to my SD card so I am using file. (linux.img)

You can use Termux to browse around and find the specific location. If it is not what I posted it should be close. I don’t remember exactly but I think I had to format my sd card in ext4 before I started the process. I think the installer doesn’t do that, and if the partition you put is not in ext4 the installer fails. Try partitioning and formatting your card first and then check if it works.

With file you’re limited to only 4GB which prevents you from getting more complete systems (with office, drawing apps, browser, etc).

I particularly like the Mate desktop. Although LXDE is pretty lightweight, it is horrible for high density displays. If you push it to higher DPIs things get totally scrambled on the screen. Items appear too big with small fonts or the opposite. I prefer to pay a bit on the performance penalty but at least I have a nice high dpi window environment.
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-22 12:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thank you for the tip. Yeah, the SD card is not formatted in ext4.

I tried MATE, but there were errors when I tried it somehow. I connected a bluetooth mouse so things are pretty good even in LXDE.
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-22 4:40 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2021-08-18 7:47 PM

Here is my Psion running Linux in 2021

That is one good looking machine... which model is that? Who's in the background?

So, now that I've been down the rabbit hole, what is it that appeals so much about Linux?? The ability to tinker with it... like make a game out of it?? True, I think I'll never be bored again ( so many CLI commands , so little time, /etc/).

Best regards,

Joval
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-23 3:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Cosmo Communicator by Planet Computer

Mark
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-23 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The device in the picture is actually a Gemini WiFi. Particularly, to use as an HPC device, I prefer the Gemini over the Cosmo because it is slimmer, more elegant, and has only one display. The only Cosmo feature I envy is the backlit keyboard, but I can survive without that.

As for background devices, there is an HP Jornada 720 (mint condition) on the left and an HP 320lx (CE 2.0 upgrade) on the right.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-26 1:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sorry for my mistake, ntware.......

Meanwhile, tried doing Linux Deploy install per your instructions.

Decided to try installing Arch (with MATE) since I usually use Manjaro the past few years.

Install seemed to go OK, but when I press 'Start' button, all says OK except for 'graphics/vnc', says 'Fail'. Tried multiple times, but always same result.

I decided to delete that install and re-do it. But same thing happens.

Do you think it's possible that the Arch install files have a problem or ?

Any suggestions?

Suppose I could try installing another distro and see if it works OK....

Thanks,

Mark

ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-26 4:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I've never tried Arch on my Gemini, but I wouldn't be surprised to find issues in it. Arch is a very DIY Linux distro. Their goal is to keep all packages running on the latest version possible at all costs, which very frequently impacts on usability. In other words, things break a lot in Arch, especially if you're running it on an 'unpopular' machine which is not very well supported. For user friendliness I would go with some Debian variant. I know there is a lot of preconcept on the Linux world about Ubuntu, but really, it is by far the easiest Linux to use in my opinion.

That being said, if you still want to use Arch, one way to debug what possibly went wrong (if you're an Arch user, you're probably used to debugging a lot ) would be to use Termius and connect to your Linux environment over ssh. Just type 'ssh your-user-name@localhost' to login. From there, you can try starting the VNC Server by manually by typing 'vncserver -geometry 2160x1080'. If it fails you can manually inspect what went wrong.

Last question, are you using the SD Card method or the file method? As I said before, with file you're limited to only 4GB, so it is very easy to have issues with lack of storage space. Using the File method I only had luck using LXDE which is pretty lightweight in storage.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-26 4:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thank you for your detailed input.

Would have thought that developer would have tested the distros before offering them as options....but who knows...

I'll try Debian or Ubuntu and see if it works for me. Then I'll know if issue is Arch or not. If I get same 'graphics/vnc' fail, then it probably means it's due to trying to install MATE. If that happens, then I'll try installing on card.

I installed on using file....

Don't understand why you say this approach is limited to 4GB....when I installed rooted Android, I selected option to creeate 90GB partition for linux.

Thanks.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-26 6:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

OK, some good news....

Ubuntu Mate installed.....

However, when I opened it, I got several error message windows open one after the other:

1. The panel encountered a problem while loading "IndicatorAppletCompleteFactory: IndicatorAppletComlete"

2. The panel encountered a problem while loading "BriskMenuFactory: BriskMenu"

3. The panel encountered a problem while loading "TrashAppletFactory: TrashApplet"

Messages asked if I want delete or not delete. I chose not to delete.

While I can see the taskbar at bottom of display, I can only see the edge of the button at left corner of display. So far I have not been able to get to button to open it and open a program. I am using my targus mini-mouse.

Found an Ubuntu webpage on keyboard shortcuts. To access the programs button, you press 'Super' + 'A' keys. Is there a key that will act as Super key?

Any suggestions to fix the above?

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by ArchiMark 2021-08-26 6:48 PM
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 12:12 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Just realized that Linux Deploy installs to android partition, not the linux partition, right? hence, your message about 4GB I assume.

Been working too hard I guess.....

Would appreciate any input about my other questions though.....

Thanks.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 74 - Executed queries : 10