x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-27 11:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

This is very weird. Any chance this is actually your Android partition? Did you try to reboot your device? It was so easy for me, perhaps I’m just being lucky
 Top of the page Quote Reply
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-28 12:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2021-08-27 3:59 PM

This is very weird. Any chance this is actually your Android partition? Did you try to reboot your device? It was so easy for me, perhaps I’m just being lucky

Yes, very weird indeed...

I don't think it's Android partition......saw reference to Gemian in the files shown....but suppose I can doublecheck.....

Didn't reboot Cosmo.....can do that too...

Thanks.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-29 7:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Looks like I finally got lucky too!

Restarted Cosmo and reinstalled fresh.

It worked!

And now I have working Ubuntu MATE like you!

Installed emacs and several other programs.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Mark
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-08-30 12:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Great news Mark! Probably when you mounted the partition in Termux Android got hold of it and only unlocked it after a reboot. Did you follow my suggestions about setting up MATE panels? That’s a must for having a good environment.

On a side note, I’m now playing with an experimental wayland server (that’s the graphical core that is slowly replacing the traditional X11 after 30 years). This is quite promising, as graphics are overlaid on top of Android and don’t require VNC. GUI latency is significantly improved over VNC (like moving or scrolling windows for example) and some people even managed to get hardware acceleration working, which is quite impressive. However, particularly for the Gemini/Cosmo, there are some drawbacks, such as no immersive full screen, and no support for the Fn key. So for now I rather keep the current solution even though it is a bit less responsive. If I can manage to make it work better I’ll post a tutorial here
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-30 2:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks, ntware.....

Yes, probably was related to mounting partition in Termux...

Yes, I did install the panels as you instructed....works well.

As you say, wayland server sounds good, except for no immersive screen and function key support. So, better to stick with current solution.

However, if you ever get it working well, let us know....

ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-09-01 10:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

@stingraze did you manage to install Ubuntu Mate on yours as well?
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 4:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Uh... not yet.

I think I need to follow the steps from formatting the Linux partition (I think I configured it to be 30GB) as ext4 and mounting it properly.
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 5:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

@ stingraze

Not that hard to do, if you follow Planet's instructions.....

@ ntware

One nice thing about Gemian on Cosmo if ability to use the up and down rocker button on cover display as left and right mouse buttons and use the cover display to move cursor on main display by moving a finger on cover display.

This way you can use linux without having a external mouse. This is very handy if you are not working on a desk surface and want to use device while holding in your hands.

Wish this were possible (or option to simulate mouse functions with stylus) with Linux Deploy. Assume this would require Linux Deploy to incorporate into their program. Oh well....

Meanwhile, enjoy using Linux Deploy.....

Thanks.
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 9:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2021-09-02
Wish this were possible (or option to simulate mouse functions with stylus) with Linux Deploy. Assume this would require Linux Deploy to incorporate into their program. Oh well....

Thanks.

This is more an Android thing than a Linux Deploy thing. I did something similar on my Gemian by installing a touchscreen mouse driver that used Gemini’s touch screen to simulate a mouse touchpad. This was crucial to reach small buttons in the UI.

Now back to Linux Deploy, we’re actually using a VNC program to interact with our Linux instance running on the background. So it is up to the VNC client to incorporate mouse features like that. That’s why I love Remote Desktop Manager. It is quite an overkill for just a local VNC connection, but it offers the ability to switch between mouse touchpad emulation (drag your finger on the screen to move the mouse) and direct screen touch (mouse moves to where you tap). I’m quite satisfied with the way it works. Using the direct touch mode you can even use a capacitive screen stylus with your Gemini, bringing the experience closer to our beloved HPCs of old. I have a pretty decent capacitive stylus that works quite well on my Gemini. I bring it with me everywhere. Here is a link to it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N1BRWLA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7X0...
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-09-02 10:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for all the info on this.....

I will try the RDM touch option you describe.....

And try the stylus I have for one of my mini laptops....if it doesn't work, then I'll get the one you linked to.

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-09-05 4:35 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ntware - 2021-08-28 4:17 AM

Hmm... try formatting your partition first then. You will need a Linux to do that. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to do it from Termux. If you still have one of those "File" installations, boot that on Linux Deploy, launch it on VNC and then open terminal and type
sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p42

Tip: You can keep several different Linux installations at Linux Deploy by creating new "Profiles"

I could format to micro SD Card to ext4 from Termux (rooted) on Cosmo.

You need to install a tool called mke2fs via pkg. I think the name of the package is e2fsprogs.

pkg install e2fsprogs

info via Reddit

Then you will first need to unmount, I think through Termux and through the Android.

Then just do

sudo mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

I'm installing Linux Deploy's Ubuntu with MATE on my 64GB microSDXC card right now since I didn't really get which one was the Linux partition I set aside, lol.

Edited by stingraze 2021-09-05 4:52 AM
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-09-07 4:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Performance on the internal partition was significantly better when compared to my own SD card. I know SD cards vary in speed from manufacturer to manufacturer, but even then the internal eMMC might have a faster bus (since it is main memory) making it faster than any SD card you can try. If you want to experiment with the internal partition as well it is quite easy to sort it out. Just do a "cat /proc/partitions", find your two largest partitions in size, and then try mounting both. If you can't mount it, then probably that's your Android partition.
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-09-08 12:02 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Okay!

I got Ubuntu MATE to install, but all the icons were somehow gone. Laucher wasn't there too. I think I will try again following ArchiMark's steps.
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-09-09 3:48 AM
#
H/PC Elite

stingraze - 2021-09-07 7:02 PM

Okay!

I got Ubuntu MATE to install, but all the icons were somehow gone. Laucher wasn't there too. I think I will try again following ArchiMark's steps.

See my post on page 3 of this thread Posted 2021-08-27 1:57 PM about how to configure MATE after the installation. You don’t need to reinstall, you just need to setup your panel properly after the installation and finally select a theme, then all icons will show up as they should.
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-09-09 4:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks! Will do.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8