x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Evoko room manager hack

Elfefe Page Icon Posted 2021-09-05 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear all,
My company just decided to throw away their "room manager" system called EVOKO room manager ERM1001 (ARM32 processor). These devices are really nice as they act as a wall mounted tablets to control meeting booking.
After some investigation I realized these equipment's are based on Windows 5 CE. I wanted to transform them in IOT controls with "homme assistance".
But sadly, even installing a web browser seems to be mission impossible. I have already tried Openamini5 , but when i run the program I've the error message: "Operamini5 is not a valid CE application", well, probably a dll issue or a non compatible application with my system.
I read some post advising the use of "zetakey" browser (trial version) for Windows CE devices but for some reason I can only open their demo webpage , I cant browse freely, not even open a google page web, weird.
I have several of these devices (you can google to see them) and I'm willing to send you one for free if someone can help me to build a new Windows CE with the missing dlls, or to successfully launch a browser, or to build an app to access Homme assistance, or so propose another interesting solution (maybe install raspbian on them?)
Thanks and Regards
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-09-06 9:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Seems to be some sort of ARM9 chip, so probably either the ARM9TDMI (ARMv4T) or the ARM9E (ARMv5TE) the latter of which would make it XScale equivalent.

Your best bet is likely to try and get hold of the missing Internet Explorer files and see if you can get them to register.
 Top of the page
Elfefe Page Icon Posted 2021-09-08 10:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Indeed it has a Samsung ARM926EJ-S processor (32/16-bit RISC architecture). Thanks for the advise I will try to obtain the dlls for IE. Else, do you think I could install RISC OS maybe? I dont have much experience with Windows CE. I dont know if I can force the device to boot from USB for example.
Regards
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-09-08 3:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have no specific idea about the device, but as a general rule, you can run anything you like on it, provided you are able to write the necessary boot code onto the device... which likely requires ASM in most cases (or create a boot strap function for it, usually in C), plus arrange a driver package for it. In the vast majority of cases, this renders it outside the ability of all but the most low level and die hard users.

If you can ascertain what SOC or BSP it is based on, you might get lucky and find that it already exists. If you can find a BSP, you could even in theory recompile a new CE image for it with everything you want.
 Top of the page
marek Page Icon Posted 2023-03-02 9:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
I also have a couple of these devices and I'm looking for ways to use them for Home Assistant.
Were you able to run Home Assistant on this device?

thanks
Marek
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-03 6:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

There’s a developer on GitHub working on a web browser for similar devices albeit running Windows CE 8.0 (WEC2013)

Maybe the code can be modified ?

https://github.com/datadiode/browser

Note per the developer that it’s not recommended for anything sensitive or secure.
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-03-03 3:27 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

marek - 2023-03-02 9:51 AM

Hi,
I also have a couple of these devices and I'm looking for ways to use them for Home Assistant.

thanks
Marek

Due to the limited and hyper-specific way that embedded Windows CE devices are designed, it is unfortunately not possible to run something like that on one of them
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-03-03 4:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I dunk for bananas - 2023-03-03 8:27 AM

marek - 2023-03-02 9:51 AM

Hi,

thanks
Marek

Due to the limited and hyper-specific way that embedded Windows CE devices are designed, it is unfortunately not possible to run something like that on one of them

Sorry about that, I just thought maybe a newer web browser could assist to do this within that framework.
 Top of the page
.Desiqn Page Icon Posted 2023-05-20 9:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I am still on the solution to change the os / or try to boot something else with a bootable usb.
Are there someone, who still was able to do it?

Thank you!
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2023-05-20 5:20 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

Unless the manufacturer has specifically implemented the ability to boot from an USB drive it won't work sadly
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 31