x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Formatting CF card

WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-09-28 12:51 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Im having issues with getting my CF card to show its contents on my 360LX. I copy and paste on my desktop the files and then eject the CF and put it in my 360LX and when I open the folder its empty. But I take the CF out of my 360LX and put it into my computer and it shows the contents. Ive tried formatting it ex-Fat, Fat. Im trying to format it in windows 7.

Any help would be grand ;-)

Also anyone have any experience with SD to CF adaptor ? And if so, do you know the max capacity SD card you can use with the 360LX ?

Thanks

-Walt
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-09-28 2:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It has to be formatted to FAT (ie, FAT16), which supports up to 2 GB of storage on one card. CE 2.0 doesn't support FAT32, and ExFAT wasn't supported until CE 6.

I have both Type I and Type II CF to SD adapters, both of which work fine on at least one CE 3 device I've been playing with recently (Casio BE-300/500), even recognizing TF (microSD) cards inside an SD to TF adapter which was itself in the CF to SD adapters. However, I haven't tried the Type I adapter on a CE 2.0 device (CE 2.0 devices can't accommodate Type II cards), and most of my CE 2.0 devices are in storage at the moment.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-09-28 2:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

In Windows 7 I dont think its formatting them to Fat 16. I think its formatting it to Fat 32 and thats why its not working. Is there a program I can download that will let me format in the cards in the proper way ?

Is there a type two Compact Flash ?

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-09-28 2:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You'll need Windows XP or earlier. You can install a virtual machine that allows you to run XP inside Windows 7, but I'm less familiar with that than some others here since I still have two PCs running XP (plus one running Windows 7).

Type II Compact Flash is thicker than Type I. Storage volumes using the Type II CF interface are typically MicroDrives (tiny hard drives). Some WiFi cards are CF Type II as well, though, like my Belkin F5D-6060.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-09-28 4:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

This worked for me in windows 7

Adjust the "Allocation Unit Size" using the drop-down menu, if necessary. The default FAT16 allocation unit size is 16 KB, but you can change it up to 32 KB.

I formatted it and it works now. So if anyone is using Windows 7 try this when formatting a CF card for Windows CE 2.0.

-Walt
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-09-28 1:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually I believe Fat16 supports 4 Gb size disks...it only supports 2 Gb file size however.

Anyways Windows 10 will support formatting Fat 16 if you manually resize your storage card manually to 4 Gb using the CLI Diskpart command, making the partition active and ignoring the unused space...
 Top of the page
blauhut Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 11:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Try this:

https://aesmit.org/2020/05/24/format-sd-card-fat16-on-windows-10/
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-01 12:37 AM
#
H/PC Elite

^ This :-)
 Top of the page