x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any pre-made setup I could download to run DOS on Jornada 720 with some development tools?

marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-05 5:47 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi there!

I would like to explore a bit the capabilities of the Jornada as dev device, to write some code on it.

Given that I can use a text editor to write code, I was looking at something more similar to old C dev environments using DOS, but alas, I found not much in terms of setup instructions.

I know that there is a dos app you can run on the Jornada that does run DOS on it; but I had no luck with it; could not even configure the thing sadly (I can write code in different languages but can't set up a dos emulator... Self-esteem went minus 9000); so I was wondering if anyone here have done this and could guide me.

The objectives I have:

- use DOS; so make my Jornada a fancy portable machine using text console as in the old days (and if an ancient CPU like the Z80 can run CP/M on it no problems, I would imagine that the Jornada should have no issues running DOS )
- Write and compile code on it, so I can just be on the go and write code and run it directly on the Jornada. Ideally would love to use C++ but C is also good enough

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated; thanks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-05 5:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What is the issue that you are experiencing with PocketDOS exactly?
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-05 8:23 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2021-10-05 5:53 PM

What is the issue that you are experiencing with PocketDOS exactly?

I installed it on the extended memory card I have in my 720; when I run the app it does not go forward loading dos. I tried different floppy images in the same folder where the app binary is located but it can't read it.

I've been looking for a guide to set it up but most of the threads I found were just addressing one specific issue; while in my case I can't even run barebone dos as is.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-10-06 2:06 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Maybe this thread might help you?

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18962&st...

Edited by stingraze 2021-10-06 2:06 AM
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-06 7:54 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

stingraze - 2021-10-06 2:06 AM

Maybe this thread might help you?

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18962&st...

THANKS!

This was perfect; I figured out that I had wrong images. Was able to install Dos 5 with some programs on it without problems.

although it is not clear to me if it is possible to run more heavy apps that require something more beefy than a 8088. I would like to install some old dev tools like turbo C or microsoft basic, and those would just struggle on such low CPU settings. Can Pocketdos run anything except barebone DOS?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9