x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help, updated the ROM on my Jornada 720 and now when I restore my backup, the keyboard does not work

marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-23 4:00 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have been trying to fix this but just got stuck.

Got a 64 MB board for my Jornada; so I opened up the device, removed the keyboard and replaced the ROM board. All good.

When the unit turn on, everything works fine; keyboard works fine, buttons on the right side of the screen works fine. I calibrate the device, set up the timezone and all is fine.

Then I restored my backup, with all my software and documents; it does start the restore, and once done I press the soft reset button and it does turn on again. Although neither the keyboard nor the touch buttons on the right side of the screen work anymore. I tried to reset it again and same thing happens. The only way to get the keyboard and buttons to work again is if I completely reset the device.

The weird thing is that everything works fine before I restore the Jornada; why would the keyboard and screen buttons stop working if I restore the backup? I could just start from scratch but I have months and months of data and applications saved on it, that I would rather not lose. The touch screen works fine; I just can't use any key, which means I can't even delete files so I guess I am stuck and bound to start from zero again? Any help would really be appreciated.
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2021-10-23 9:35 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

First: Restore your backup once more and then copy your movable data to a cf-card (not with a backup program, just copy-paste). This can be done with only the touchscreen. Then you are safe and open for experiments In the worst case you have to re-install the programs and then copy the data manually.

This looks like something in the registry file cannot handle the amount of memory.

The only thing that comes to my mind is to experiment with the memory settings. Try to reduce the data memory to some four or five mb. Or change the program memory (disk drive) to a lower value. Or look though the registry file for something suspicious.

Good luck !

Edited by dl1av 2021-10-23 9:37 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-23 1:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You're overwriting the 728's registry with the 720's, which is going to be ignoring driver, config and version differences between the two.

I suggest you get a cab for a registry editor on a CF card and the device with the 720 board. Make an export of HKLM to the CF card. Move to the 728 board, find a way to install the registry editor, import the reg file and see if after a soft reset, that solves it.
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 1:35 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

dl1av - 2021-10-23 9:35 AM

First: Restore your backup once more and then copy your movable data to a cf-card (not with a backup program, just copy-paste). This can be done with only the touchscreen. Then you are safe and open for experiments In the worst case you have to re-install the programs and then copy the data manually.

This looks like something in the registry file cannot handle the amount of memory.

The only thing that comes to my mind is to experiment with the memory settings. Try to reduce the data memory to some four or five mb. Or change the program memory (disk drive) to a lower value. Or look though the registry file for something suspicious.

Good luck !

Thanks; all the data is already on the CF card; but anything that need to be in the windows folder or in other custom folders (hidden files placed there by the installer for example), cannot be moved in the same way sadly

I would exclude it is a memory issue; the backup was 16 mb; which was fitting fine in the original 32 MB memory module; with 64 mb there is plenty to restore the 16 mb of data I had. I suspect it has to do with the registry at this point. The problem is that without a keyboard I can't do much in the registry editor; I wish there was a way to connect a keyboard externally, or that I could remote into the j720 from another computer and make the changes
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 1:37 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2021-10-23 1:41 PM

You're overwriting the 728's registry with the 720's, which is going to be ignoring driver, config and version differences between the two.

I suggest you get a cab for a registry editor on a CF card and the device with the 720 board. Make an export of HKLM to the CF card. Move to the 728 board, find a way to install the registry editor, import the reg file and see if after a soft reset, that solves it.

Oh, so the ROM isn't the same? I read that they are virtually identical except for a version bump. Do you remember which key is loading the keyboard driver? If I can get that I may be able to modify the register after copying it on the CF card. Being such an old OS I assume there is no regedit on it, right?
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 4:02 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

marko - 2021-10-24 2:35 AM

Thanks; all the data is already on the CF card; but anything that need to be in the windows folder or in other custom folders (hidden files placed there by the installer for example), cannot be moved in the same way sadly

But if you have your program data files (text, databases, pics...) already as a plain copy (not as a single archive together with the programs and hidden system files) then you can re-install all the programs from the scratch and you are done? It´s a one time effort.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 11:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

marko - 2021-10-24 1:37 AM

C:Amie - 2021-10-23 1:41 PM

Oh, so the ROM isn't the same? I read that they are virtually identical except for a version bump. Do you remember which key is loading the keyboard driver? If I can get that I may be able to modify the register after copying it on the CF card. Being such an old OS I assume there is no regedit on it, right?
Nope, I'm just assuming that the reason it is failing has to be a config difference. Otherwise there is no logical reason. As it isn't necessarily the keyboard driver either, so I'd say either try following my suggestion and dump all of HKLM or HKLM/system or warm up a text file comparison program and get sleuthing.
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 8:05 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

dl1av - 2021-10-24 4:02 AM

But if you have your program data files (text, databases, pics...) already as a plain copy (not as a single archive together with the programs and hidden system files) then you can re-install all the programs from the scratch and you are done? It´s a one time effort.

Oh,I see what you mean. Yeah; my hope is to avoid to re-install everything... that is the point of making backup, but if that is inevitable, I guess I can't go around that
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 8:09 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2021-10-24 11:19 AM

Nope, I'm just assuming that the reason it is failing has to be a config difference. Otherwise there is no logical reason. As it isn't necessarily the keyboard driver either, so I'd say either try following my suggestion and dump all of HKLM or HKLM/system or warm up a text file comparison program and get sleuthing.

I followed your suggestion; dumped the 2 registry with the regedit and ended up copying and pasting the sections with keys I needed, into the plain registry dump I made, after a clean restore. So far it seems to be working fine, so most of the apps and settings are OK. Not sure how much damage I made by pasting code from another registry; for keys I have no clue about (I copied most of the keys that were related to the software I know I had installed, and everything that is pointing at the CF card path; which is where I installed 100% of the software).

It has been quite a lot of work, but gladly the registry is not as huge as regular windows, so I just spent few hours going through diff line by line and section by section.

If anyone could document the registry keys somewhere, it would really be awesome. Thanks for your help!
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-10-25 5:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry I cant help, but im glad you are getting somewhere with this issue. I am on verge of getting a 680 or 720, so this info can help me in the future potentially and isnt that what this Forum is all about ;-)

-Walt B

Woot !
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-25 5:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Glad to be of help.

Were you able to identify the location of the key causing issue with the keyboard?
 Top of the page
marko Page Icon Posted 2021-10-26 4:04 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2021-10-25 5:50 PM

Glad to be of help.

Were you able to identify the location of the key causing issue with the keyboard?

Sadly not; nothing was clearly identified as "keyboard" or something similar, and google was of no help in finding hardware keys either.

I just saved the fresh install register, and added one by one the keys from the 720 original backup register; took me a while but it is done Thanks for the hint; it took less than starting from scratch so big help
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 8