x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do you know you are getting old?

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-10-23 8:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There are many ways to know...here is one from this morning:

I went out and bought 4 new tires for my 2018 Maxima. It had the orginal tires on it from 4 years ago...72,000+ miles. 245/45R18. New tires are Goodyear Eagle F1.

Total cost was a little over $1300. That's crazy!

I can remember buying a brand new retreads for $25 each.

There was no mounting fee...no old tire disposal fee...you bought your tires and after struggling with sledge hammers, tire irons, pry bars...the old tire came off and the new one was installed. None of this computerized high-speed balancing and mounting equipment. Just a water bubble level, lead weights, and a ball peen hammer. Hell, they didn't even have radial tires back then or steel belts. Cars didn't have TPMS back then either...you whacked the tire with a wood dowel and listened to the tone if you thought it was low. And you didn't pay someone to get rid of your old tire...you laid them in your front yard and turned them into flower gardens...

And that is how I know, today, that I am getting old
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-10-23 8:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Says the guy who can afford a big fishing boat. My bank balance dropped all the way to $30 at one point last year. It's not about being old, Rich (though I'm officially old too at 60).
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2021-10-23 9:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2021-10-23 3:01 PM

I went out and bought 4 new tires for my 2018 Maxima. It had the orginal tires on it from 4 years ago...72,000+ miles. 245/45R18. New tires are Goodyear Eagle F1.

Total cost was a little over $1300. That's crazy!

I feel for you Rich. Same thing happened to us a couple of weeks ago. We bought 4 new tires for our 2018 RAV4 Trail (78,000 km) at a cost of $1400 (Cdn) and just ordered another 4 new winter tires (another $1400 Cdn). Ouch.

I also remember when they cost a lot less.

Rick
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-24 11:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I also remember when they cost a lot less.
to be fair... I think most of us can remember February 2020
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8