x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Interesting (cheap) HPC-adjacent device

1 2 3
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-10-27 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
>> Given that the CPU is a few years old (2016) I'm hoping Linux support is reasonable <<

That hadn't occurred to me, a trade-off b/w old hardware and broader platforms. When the GPD MPC came out, even Ubuntu Mate developers couldn't get it into landscape. All was lost until GPD gave Hans de Goede a demo and he had it sorted in two hours. The world is still controlled by like-minded individuals

Jake
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-10-27 7:48 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2021-10-27 12:26 AM

It reminds me a bit of the older ALIENWARE 13R3 laptops and Lenovo machine.

-stingraze

I thought something similar - There seem to be a number of gaming laptops from a few years ago with this sort of shape - I think mostly to fit in large cooling fans / heatsinks etc. That doesn't seem to be the case here - I think it might have more to do with fitting in the motherboard they've used. See below for a CAD screenshot for this machine vs. a motherboard for a Geobook 1M (an 11.6 inch laptop with a similar though less powerful Celeron chip). If they have indeed 'recycled' the motherboard it does suggest that it might be possible to use different displays...

(Topton L4 Render.jpg)

(GeoBook M1 motherboard.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Topton L4 Render.jpg (92KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments GeoBook M1 motherboard.jpg (96KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-10-27 8:11 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Ameowli - 2021-10-27 3:32 AM

It looks like an itty-bitty ThinkPad with its all black design and red pointing stick, and now I kinda want one but I also don't want to deal with AliExpress any more, but I too would like to know about the experience.

I've found it on Amazon - and though at those prices it's getting a bit close to superior machines like the GPD Pocket 2(S).

I'm no great fan of the AliExpress customer experience myself, but they do seem quite good at selling 'weird' products like this one.
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-10-27 8:15 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

WallyB110 - 2021-10-27 5:48 AM

^ See that is another fear I have, I dont want to deal with ali express. I cant find these anywhere else, so it seems you have to order thru them sadly.

But plz as I said and others have, keep us in the loop. I am very interested. Hopefully you can build a better battery and figure out a way to get video onto a TV. No HDMI is bogus.

-Walt B

It does appear to have a Mini-HDMI output, at least on the other listings I've seen - The one I bought it from is worryingly missing any images showing this port. I do hope that's not the reason I got it so cheap...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-10-27 9:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Based on Amazon's reviews, shipping sounds like a crap shoot--if it arrives unbroken, customers like it. I agree: for $350USD, you might as well look at other machines.

Jake
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-10-28 11:57 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2021-10-27 9:05 AM
Fantastic, please let me know if you would like any help or tips

Thank you - I'll have a read through a few reviews first and then I'll no doubt have a ton of questions for you - Would you prefer me to ask here in this thread or by PM?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-10-28 2:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PM please
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-11-17 12:55 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Update: It's arrived!

I'm typing this on the machine itself. It's pleasingly tiny, far more solidly built than it has any right to be for the price, and the performance isn't half bad either. The screen resolution isn't as much of a hindrance as it might be, Windows 10 handles it quite gracefully. I'm pleased to report that it does have a (mini) HDMI port as well, and I've tested this with an external monitor.

I'll save further details for my upcoming review, which I hope to get the bulk of written over the weekend, but I'm happy to answer any pressing questions anyone may have.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-17 5:25 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well hot damn ! :-) Sweet. I may get one of these after all.

-Walt B
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-11-17 9:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@robertojones--congratulations! You've jumped through the first hoop: it didn't arrive broken! I very much look forward to anything you have to say.

Jake
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-19 1:48 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Im so tempted to purchase one of these next month.

-Walt B
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 7:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Quick note for anyone considering buying one of these:

The cooling fan is always on at a constant speed (except when in standby or powered off) and does not appear to have any sort of software control. It's not particularly loud but I'd like to be able to run it silently. I've been trying to control it by accessing the embedded controller but no luck so far. Looking at the motherboard I think it may just be wired to a convenient power line. If I get nowhere with software / firmware I'm probably going to wire in a switch - There's space next to the SSD to fit a small switch and this could then be operated by opening the access cover. The first generation GPD Win had a similar setup, though fitting on the base of the device. I'll then monitor the temperature carefully - It doesn't run especially hot though and the CPU appears to have configurable thermal throttling so it shouldn't cause any issues.

I know this may be a deal-breaker for some as without modifications it has no 'silent' mode so I wanted to make sure you're aware.

Other than this I've fixed a few little software setup issues and successfully installed Ubuntu on it - I'll touch on these in my review.

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Nice follow-up, robertojones. I have a Chuwi MiniBook 8 and the fan is always on, too. Some wag came up with a BIOS-level hack that at least bumped the temp level of the fan start, but then Chuwi did their own hack which still starts the fan right off, but at a much quieter speed. Since Chuwi support is minimal, and out of a general fear of God, I've kept Chuwi's hack.

I do remember the EEE series with its users disconnecting the annoying fan with little-to-no negative impact (until someone developed a true fan control app), so if you can genuinely throttle the cpu, you sound as if this is the right track.

I can't wait to see your switch.

Jake
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-11-30 9:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Further to my previous post, another couple of warnings for prospective buyers:

- My tests indicate that both USB ports are connected to a USB 2.0 hub internally, although both connectors have the extra USB3 contacts. I have found no BIOS setting that governs this, so I believe it's just built this way. Disappointing, and means you should not expect fast transfers or booting from USB3 drives, and devices like Gigabit Ethernet adaptors will not run at full speed. Annoyingly Linux shows an USB3 hub is present, but nothing I plug in connects to this so I suspect it's just not routed to anything.

- I was able to do a clean install of Windows by backing up the drivers first, but it came up unactivated and I had to use my own Windows licence to activate. Not sure what method of licensing they have used here or if cracked in some way, but this doesn't look good (and detracts from its value somewhat if you end up having to buy one).

Just wanted to make sure nobody's going out and buying one under any illusions based on my initial positive impressions - Without wanting to promote my own work, I'd suggest you wait for my review before deciding.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-30 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I shall hold off until your full review ;-)

-Walt B
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.257 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 33