x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Compaq C-140 tear down

WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-06 1:26 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I should be getting the broken C-140 in the mail any day, I will do a video on the tear down of the unit. I have not taken one of these apart. If anyone has any pointers before I begin this process please let me know. I see 5 screws on the bottom and the one screw for the rom. I think thats it for the bottom of the unit, but im not sure how the screen comes apart. There are two screws on the back of the screen near the hinge. Other than that I am not sure.

-Walt B
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-06 6:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Anyone know what that switch is near where it says swab ?

Here are pics of my A-11 opened. I only took the bottom off and did not mess with the screen as this is the working unit and the compaq C-140 coming is a non working parts machine. The top of the Compaq is like new compared to the A-11 so thats why I wanted to know how to remove the screen portion. I didnt want to mess my working unit up so I stopped after just removing the bottom.

There were 5 screws in plain sight, plus one for the rom door, one for the backup battery door and 3 that are outside of where the backup battery goes under the door. That was it, but there are 4 things that fall out when you take it apart.

1) Eject button for opening unit up.
2) Lock for the PCMCIA card.
3) IrDa red cover.
4) Battery operation/eject switch.

All four were very easy to put back, just look at the unit and everything lines up etc. But #4 is very important as I do not believe the unit will power on if this is not put back correctly.

I will post more pics when I get the Compaq and im not as afraid to take it apart and mess with it.

-Walt B

Also in the 2nd picture, Anyone know what that switch is near where it says swab ?

Edited by WallyB110 2021-11-06 6:53 AM
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2021-11-06 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

WallyB110 - 2021-11-06 1:06 AM

Also in the 2nd picture, Anyone know what that switch is near where it says swab ?

I've never owned a C-140, however, I've owned lots of PDAs with a similiar switch. I believe it's the switch that tells the unit there is a Ni-Cad pack installed, rather than AA batteries.

Rick
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-06 3:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Awesome ! Thats kinda what I thought, but I wanted to make sure ;-)

You guys rock ! :-)

-Walt B
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-06 4:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok so I got the Casio A-11 up and running. I found the Compaq's only issue is the display cable. Anyone have a spare ?

-Walt B

Video cable I need.

Edited by WallyB110 2021-11-06 5:09 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.136 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10