x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Compaq 2010c Battery Rebuild

wdj2005 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-23 10:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
Just a note to say that it is perfectly possible to rebuild a battery from these compaq handhelds.

New Heatshrink tubing =
Tagged AF batteries = https://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/AF-or-A-Size-NiMH-Battery-1...

You need to use AF battery, as AA is just that little bit too long.

1. Cut open the old pack.
2. Disconnect the batteries.
3. Solder the new batteries together into series.
4. Solder negative terminal.
5. Fold the positive terminal to form enough of a 'bump' that it will compress onto the battery-pack connector.
6. Clamp everything tightly, and shrink the heat shrink onto the pack.
7. It will 'just' fit into the battery compartment

Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-24 12:55 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I opened mine to find the battery leaking had destroyed the ribbon cables. Only reason I gave up on trying to repairing mine. If the battery acid has not eating away at the ribbon cables that are at the ends of the pack , then you in business. I just rebuilt my Sharp HC-4000 battery pack and it fits AA batteries and so will the CompaQ as long as they are flat tab AA's. That little dimple at the ends of the standard AA style batteries is what makes them too long. ;-)

--Walt B

Thanks for posting this info, good stuff ;-)

Edited by WallyB110 2021-11-24 12:55 AM
 Top of the page
ken680428 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-07 7:27 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

If you still have your destroyed battery ribbon cable. Can you use your multimeter and tell me the ohms value of the resister on the ribbon cable's center contact section that branches off of the negative connection.

Thanks

Kenneth Finch
 Top of the page
ken680428 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-08 4:56 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Never mind I figured it out myself. That is a diode not a resistor. I made my battery pack out of two NiMH AA batteries I bought off of eBay that were flat tops. I spot welded on tabs on the negative side of one and the positive side of the other. I then spot welded on a tab in between the two batteries and folded the tab between the two batteries and pushed them together and taped them tother to make one long battery with tabs for the negative and positive terminals.

I then soldered wire to the tabs and run the positive wire from the battery to the inner connector on the hpc which is the positive terminal of the hpc. Then soldered the battery's negative wire to the outer connector on the hpc which is it's negative terminal. I then soldered the diode between the center connector of the hpc to it's negative outer connector.

Now my Compaq 2930 (2010c) hpc sees it's new replacement battery and charges it as well.
When I need to change the cells in a few years. Just spot weld together another pair of cells and solder them onto the existing positive and negative wires.
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-02-08 6:39 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Make sure that the diode is in touch with one of the cells. This can be the heat overload protection. These days it was common to check the temperature with simple diodes.

-Stefan
 Top of the page
ken680428 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-08 10:10 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The original ribbon design had the surface mounted diode in the middle of a small ribbon branch from the main negative ribbon part of the cable. The temperature sensor was further down the cable near the bottom of the bottom NiMh cell.

There are photos I downloaded from a previous post that I used to figure out how the battery pack was designed.
 Top of the page
ken680428 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-08 10:21 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Here are the replacement NiMh batteries I bought:

Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-02-09 4:52 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

OK, than the diode is against reverse charging. That could happen if the cells get "out of sync" and deeply discharged when they get older. Your new cells look good and they should last a few years
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10