x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IrDA troubleshooting Compaq 2010c + Win2K Sp4 Virtualbox

wdj2005 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-24 9:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
I'm having real problems with trying to get IrDA working.
I've tried both an IBM, and a iFoundry USB IrDA adaptor, via MacOSX host (MacBook Pro).
I'm using virtual box.
Windows 2K SP4.
ActiveSync 3.7.1

Pocket PC = Compaq 2010C MIPS WinCE 2.0

I open activeSync, and on the handheld I start 'PC Link'.
Very occasionally it seems to connect, but then pop up message shows the link has been lost.

Could it be a problem with modern LED lighting? How sensitive is IrDA? I've tried lower speeds too.
What kind of distance should I place the handheld from the dongle? How directional is it?

Any suggestions please?

Edited by wdj2005 2021-11-24 9:53 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-11-24 10:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Why are you using 3.7.1? Use 3.8.

IR adapters are LED, so the answer is potentially very.

Are you certain the adapter works? Are the lamp diffusers clean and scratch free?

Should work fine 2cm away from it up to about half a meter. It will work off centre, but for testing line them up.

If you have meddled with anything in device manager on 2000, uninstall it and the ports in device manager and restart. ActiveSync hates the hardware being messed with at the driver level. Let it manage it itself.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-11-25 6:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

And the 2010C is a Handheld PC, which is different from the Pocket PC. (We don't use the P-word around here. )
 Top of the page
wdj2005 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-25 9:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have updated to Active Sync 3.8 (dunno why I was on the older version).
This is the behaviour I now get.... the iFoundry adaptor was as-new condition in original box and driver disk etc.

The Adaptor LED flickers in various patterns.
When I launch PC Link on the handheld PC, I get 'device connected' then 'user authenticated'. On the Win2K host, the IrDA 'linked' logo appears in the system tray, and then the active sync icon turns green and spins.

Occasionally I get pop-up: 'wireless signal interrupted', and a pulsing audio sound effect.
Eventually it all stops.

If I open active sync while it's green logo is spinning, and try to 'connect' nothing happens.

I don't have a sync cable for the Handheld, so I'm hoping I can create a partnership, and manage it purely over IrDA?

Thanks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-11-25 10:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If the LED is flickering, it sounds like it could be a power issue (though they do pulse very fast). It could be the USB port, that something isn't cooperating with the passthrough - try it on real hardware and see if it flickers - or the dongle could have a bad capacitor.
 Top of the page
wdj2005 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-27 1:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK.... I've tried the following, with no joy still... I remember the late 90's frustrations of PCs now!!

2 different IrDA/USB bridges - iFoundry, and IBM Microport. They have LED indicators that look like they're working.
On 'real hardware' - HP Pavillion running clean install of Win2K Pro Sp4.
Activesync 3.8
Naturally lit room, out of direct sunlight. Various distances of 5-20cm from dongle.
Handheld is Compaq 2010c running WinCE 2.0.

The behaviour on the handheld PC is variable from not connecting, to 'device connected' to 'user authenticated'.
The win2k host varies too... sometimes reaching the point where IR is 'linked', and green active sync logo is spinning, as before with Host VM.
Have also tried turning down the IRDA connection speed on the host to 56K.

I'm stumped now... perhaps it's the handheld? too earlier version of WinCE?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-11-27 3:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, not CE. I used to IR sync CE 2.0 all the time.

Can you try creating a DUN connection for it on CE and set a low connection speed there too? See if it's a bi-directional issue.

I take it that you've been through my guide at https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0017.asp

The next thing you can do it to test the port with a file transfer between 2000 and CE, try https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/430/Nishimura_Masataka/EzObex/version_...
 Top of the page
wdj2005 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-27 8:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks, I hadn't seen that guide... doesn't help though sadly... I think I'll try XP and see if that helps.

One issue I therefore now have is it's not possible to install things like the Lucent WaveLAN drivers, because they expect to install via the host PC and ActiveSync.. is there any workaround via a CF card please?

I'm a handheld PC newbie! Only had an iPAQ before.
 Top of the page
wdj2005 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-27 10:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok... XP host ... same behaviour....

hpc says 'user authenticated'
laptop has spinning green disc on ActiveSync app
system tray has IRDA link animated icon showing connection established.
speed is 19200
how long should it normally take to link active sync?

Edited by wdj2005 2021-11-27 10:48 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-11-28 10:35 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Seconds!

On the WaveLAN, download the _inflated.zip files from the HCL/download centre. They are there specifically to offer a bypass to the installer. Baically you just need to get the CAB's out of the installer and can copy them over manually to install them.

Did you try EzObex?

See the following guides in the support section to understand the different installer dynamics:
Installing Programs from the Host
Installing Programs using .cab files
Installing Programs manually
Extracting Cabinets from Host Installers
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9