x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What have you done with an H/PC today?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-12-28 7:58 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I started to setup one of the beautiful 720s I got last year. Since then I have only refurbished the batteries and installed PocketDOS because I really wanted a DOS palmtop.

But now it is time to give one of these (the other one waits for its Linux) the CE vibes with some office organizer software. Now I am occupied with testing a few examples from the SCL and my first impression is that I have to setup an SH3-Jornada because of the better software supply.

In general my impression is that getting software isn't in any way easier today than in the original days. Maybe that's the reason that most ebay-Jornadas come like new because noone could do anything with it even back then. I never saw anyone using a CE-Palmtop besides some company projects (insurance companies). Around 1999 I owned a Jornada myself but I had no good idea what to do with it. Instead I continued to use my DOS-palmtops.

I intended to use it as a portable fieldtest device because it supported the PCMCIA cardphones but besides looking cool there was not much use to it

But for now some CEsoftware is installed on the 720 and the next step will be to arrange the starter menues and to find out how to get around the shareware day limits. Back then we sometimes were successful with single file or registy entry deleting.

The really useful Pocket DOS I have bought for a reasonable price but there is no sense in paying hundreds of dollars for kind of a history research project. In most cacses there won't be anyone anymore to take my money even if I am willing to pay.
 Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2023-01-16 9:02 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Managed to make my LG Phenom quite a bit more portable with an external battery pack, so now I'm no longer tethered to the wall (since it underclocks quite severely when on internal battery power).
I'm using one of these to deliver power to it. Using the power adapter cable I'd built to replace the power supply that died, I'm stepping the 12V the battery pack outputs down to 3.6v, and it works like a charm.
I also really should have probably used a different size barrel jack on the Phenom side, I really hope I don't do something immeasurably stupid and plug 12v into the 3.6v socket.

Means I can actually take it around with me places! Almost. I don't like having the unit just in a pocket or in my bag loose.

In general my impression is that getting software isn't in any way easier today than in the original days. Maybe that's the reason that most ebay-Jornadas come like new because noone could do anything with it even back then. I never saw anyone using a CE-Palmtop besides some company projects (insurance companies). Around 1999 I owned a Jornada myself but I had no good idea what to do with it. Instead I continued to use my DOS-palmtops.

Honestly, 90% of my H/PC use involves either PocketIE for saved web pages or Pocket Word to just type something up. I'll try and connect to the internet for fun over serial, but it's so slow that it is strictly for the entertainment of browsing on such an old device rather than anything productive, and if I have to look stuff up, I'll do it on my PC and maybe save the webpages for viewing on the H/PC (printing to PDF and converting that to images is the easiest way I've found, at least for a CE 2.x device).
Like, I guess you could maybe install a media player for fun, and maybe try a few emulators, but in general, the situation is pretty rough with software if you aren't writing your own. CE 3 devices at least have a few neat options, but it's still not great.

Pretty much ever CE device I've seen in the wild runs some internal custom business application, like the PDTs we used to use at my old job, they had some .NET application to manage the inventory.
Almost all the other CE devices I've seen were just thin clients/web browsers.
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-01-17 5:57 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, I'm half collector, half user and half developer...
hm... That's three halves

What I do most with my Jornada is manage some business contacts, working with word and excel and develop programs for it.
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-01-17 3:49 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Pretty much ever CE device I've seen in the wild runs some internal custom business application, like the PDTs we used to use at my old job, they had some .NET application to manage the inventory.
Almost all the other CE devices I've seen were just thin clients/web browsers.

It was the same here. A few people (who else have everything) bought these complete sets for themselves but they were disappointed after a few weeks. These are the "like-new" sets you sometimes find on ebay.
Even back then browsing the internet with them was a mess compared to a WIN98-notebook. Besides it was about one dollar a minute to use the mobile internet with a cardphone.
Noone used a Jornada to manage his daily tasks or his household - like suggested in these cute HP commercials.

Most of these CE-devices were used in special projects with thousands of devices and with customized software. These are the ones you can find today with heavy signs of use on the case.

Stefan
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-17 7:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Lately, I've been updating my travel log in SpreadCE, getting the format all neat
(I use a Spreadsheet to log whenever I travel places, with a bullet point for each trip, and the month/year that the trip occurred)
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-02-18 12:59 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

@torch
For this TravelDiary was developed

Yesterday I worked on my Jornada while a friend visited.
I did some Excel stuff and future task. My friend asked me what I do akd whats this neat device is.
After my presentation he said: well...every smartphone can do this too.
I said: NOOOOOOO... dont want to compare it with that.
If you ever used Excel on a smartphone. Uaah... without a physical keyboard I dont think a smartphon could ever replace my Jornada. Would be cool if we could use the handhelds as a phone with speakerphone. No need for a smartphone anymore
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-18 5:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hahah this was something I already had maintained. I just was merging the word document into an excel spreadsheet.

By the way, have you ever used SpreadCE? It’s actively developed, and even supports Open Document Spreadsheet and the XLSX new formats too!

http://www.byedesign.co.uk/
 Top of the page
LordEmilio Page Icon Posted 2023-02-18 9:50 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I usually play Solitaire, or even write small novels in order to make a big one.
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2023-02-18 11:46 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I just recently got back into HPCs (literally this week) after a long LONG time away, so I've been having fun trying programs that I had in my backups and some hardware I saved (BT, wifi, etc). Making those things talk with modern hardware or OSs has been a struggle, although not an entirely impossible task.

Having said that, the most interesting thing I've done today, is playing with some dev software I had, most notably PythonCE and PocketScheme. Not only it reminded my of my University years, but also allowed me to do some coding on the device, which I always enjoy.

Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2023-02-19 2:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Citgo - 2023-02-18 7:59 AM
If you ever used Excel on a smartphone. Uaah... without a physical keyboard I dont think a smartphon could ever replace my Jornada. Would be cool if we could use the handhelds as a phone with speakerphone. No need for a smartphone anymore

That’s exactly what the Gemini/Cosmo/Astro was made for (at least in theory). But honestly, I have a Gemini with dual boot Android / Linux and I really enjoy the device. It is the closest thing I could get to a modern HPC.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-02-19 2:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2023-02-18 6:06 PM

Citgo - 2023-02-18 7:59 AM

That’s exactly what the Gemini/Cosmo/Astro was made for (at least in theory). But honestly, I have a Gemini with dual boot Android / Linux and I really enjoy the device. It is the closest thing I could get to a modern HPC.

+1.....enjoy using my Astro since last June...(and Cosmo/Gemini before that....)

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-21 12:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Not exactly H/PC related, but wishing you all a good morning from here in Taiwan!

(9B2970BD-72DA-4406-8074-E49E4936E424.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 9B2970BD-72DA-4406-8074-E49E4936E424.jpeg (80KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-02-21 1:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@torch, looks good. I guess we know what your H/PC'll be doing today: sightseeing!
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-21 2:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

torch - 2023-02-21 7:38 PM

Not exactly H/PC related, but wishing you all a good morning from here in Taiwan!

Wow! Beautiful...I hope you're having a great time over there!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-02-21 3:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

torch - 2023-02-21 9:38 AM

Hey that's a nice view. If you can spare a short ride to Japan that will be fun!

I'm back from India today.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 14