x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What have you done with an H/PC today?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-02-22 1:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Perfect! Shall we publish in a periodical, or shall I wait for the completed manuscript?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-02-22 1:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Can I translate it to Japanese in the future?
You can have multi-language support (novel).

Edited by stingraze 2023-02-22 1:31 PM
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-02-22 1:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hahaha...
Well to be honest. I wanted to do a review of some devices but the reviews are almost the same. Boring.
Like:
KEYBOARD
The keys are are small but nice to press...

DISPLAY
The display is small but with good contrast...

And so one...it is always the same.
Mh.. When I think about a review in a exciting novel form with all the parts included which are important to mention it would be a change
What do you think C?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-02-22 2:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The point of writing a review in retrospect is to aid vintage computing folks into what direction they should be looking to do something, find a challenge, open up an opportunity or just nerd out. They're there to attract people into the community. Like the guys doing the NetBSD stuff at the moment. No one has ever "newbie" reviewed that before, posted screenshots, reported on the challenge, the potential or what it can actually do.

Sure, you have to touch on the generic basics like keyboard and screen. Yet, you also have the opportunity to talk about what mods can be done to it (run it off of AA's, re-cell the battery onto modern LI and have it run for 24 hours. Replace the CCFL with a LED backlight and actually get to see the screen properly. You can also discuss niche uses and who would want to bother in 2023.

So yes, I agree, they can be dull... just as much as any modern new-release laptop can be... but they don't have to be if you add a little flair.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-22 8:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I second Citgo’s review getting it published. I also think there should be a NetBSD one for all of the work done in that end too!
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-02-23 6:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Have to think about it. There's nothing new to explore with a Ericsson MC16. The device is almost the same like other ones in that category.
I wouldn't tell something new.
Ok...today I charged my batteries for the MC16 over 10h because of their capacity
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-02-24 3:28 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Back to topic, but I got another Sigmarion 3 in Japan and will probably be continuing the logging into Linux machine via an USB cable. I really want to make a portable device with Rasperry Pi Zero / Zero 2 that I can login to via an USB cable and connect to the web through it and ssh it to servers through it on my Sigmarion 3.

Edited by stingraze 2023-02-24 3:29 AM
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-24 3:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Well, let's see...I watched a few screens of compile output go by on my MobilePro 780...pulled up hpcboot on my 790 a few times to mull over some options...

Not exactly doing something with an H/PC, but I superglued the case of a Xircom CF-10 back together and swept a pile of MobilePro screws off my desk....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-02-24 2:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@thenzero sounds like you are having a frustrating morning
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-25 12:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

stingraze - 2023-02-23 8:28 PM

Back to topic, but I got another Sigmarion 3 in Japan and will probably be continuing the logging into Linux machine via an USB cable. I really want to make a portable device with Rasperry Pi Zero / Zero 2 that I can login to via an USB cable and connect to the web through it and ssh it to servers through it on my Sigmarion 3.

Nice! I actually have my Pi4 installed in that touchscreen 7” screen case so I can use it. I just messed up trying to add a fan and now the touchscreen doesn’t work. I don’t know if I messed up the Debian software during an update or accidentally disconnected the touchscreen cable when I was trying to add the fan. I’m scared to use my Pi4 until a fan is installed because I didn’t want to cook it. :/
Did the Sig3 only come in one color ?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-25 12:39 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Double post please delet e

Edited by torch 2023-02-25 12:39 AM
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-02-25 3:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2023-02-25 9:15 AM

@thenzero sounds like you are having a frustrating morning

You might think so, but that was the relaxing part of my day. Ha!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-02-25 4:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

torch - 2023-02-25 9:38 AM

Nice! I actually have my Pi4 installed in that touchscreen 7” screen case so I can use it. I just messed up trying to add a fan and now the touchscreen doesn’t work. I don’t know if I messed up the Debian software during an update or accidentally disconnected the touchscreen cable when I was trying to add the fan. I’m scared to use my Pi4 until a fan is installed because I didn’t want to cook it. :/

Cool! I have several Rasbperry Pis, 2,3,4, and zero but none of them has a power bank so I can run it independently without an AC adapter. I will need to get one soon. I think Rasbperry Pi 2 will come to good use because the power consumption isn't very high.

Yes, the Sigmarion 3 came only in Silver / Black, whereas Sigmarion 2 had two limited edition colors, bluish silver and gun metal (blackish).

-stingraze
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-02-25 5:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

stingraze - 2023-02-24 9:24 PM

torch - 2023-02-25 9:38 AM

Cool! I have several Rasbperry Pis, 2,3,4, and zero but none of them has a power bank so I can run it independently without an AC adapter. I will need to get one soon. I think Rasbperry Pi 2 will come to good use because the power consumption isn't very high.

Yes, the Sigmarion 3 came only in Silver / Black, whereas Sigmarion 2 had two limited edition colors, bluish silver and gun metal (blackish).

-stingraze

Yeah I have the Pi1 model B 512mb, Pi4 model B 8GB. The Pi1 I’m having trouble finding stuff to do with but I’m determined. I thought maybe a weather station or a wpa1 / wep hotpot. Or maybe I’ll get xlinkkai lan tunneling program for those old consoles to play “online” with system link.
Besides the Sigmarion, do you have a favorite Japanese device from the grayscale CE2.0 era?

Also I went to Jiu Fen Old Town today, the place that inspired Spirited Away. It was absolutely beautiful.

(B8DFEFC7-D8D2-4FFC-A0B1-F696B8FB77C9.jpeg)

(7406FF5A-91A3-4594-8B94-6415F668517D.jpeg)

(8FB6CF2B-D5D1-4895-9BC0-08375D23FBEE.jpeg)

(E35EDC0D-8780-4CEC-9ED6-1B44CB93FAA9.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments B8DFEFC7-D8D2-4FFC-A0B1-F696B8FB77C9.jpeg (51KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 7406FF5A-91A3-4594-8B94-6415F668517D.jpeg (39KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 8FB6CF2B-D5D1-4895-9BC0-08375D23FBEE.jpeg (56KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments E35EDC0D-8780-4CEC-9ED6-1B44CB93FAA9.jpeg (46KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-02-25 8:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Looks lovely. I had no idea that Spirited Away was inspired by a Taiwanese town.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9