x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Topton L4 | Revenge of the Netbook?

1 2
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2022-03-12 12:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

gct - 2022-03-11 9:33 PM

Thank you so much Robert!

I updated the Goodix Touch driver from the device manager using the package you have generously shared, and the touch screen worked instantly. This is great now that I at least have a fallback pointing method for those rare windows/dialogues where the mouse buttons don't work.

I feel a bit guilty since I was basically begging for a file download, before seeing the forum's contributor policy. I have been enthusiastic about UMPCs and owned a few since 2008 or so, but never knew about the HPC so I wouldn't even know what I could contribute.

Let me know if it would be polite to make a $10 or $15 Paypal donation to you or the forum operator to contribute a bit to coffee or hosting expenses.

You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear you got your touchscreen working.

I would absolutely encourage you to make a donation if you're in a position to do so - This is so far the only real, honest review of the device I'm aware of (not to toot my own horn too much) and it's only available because of this site and C:Amie's help both in hosting the review and providing valuable guidance and editing. Not to mention the valuable resource and community that this site provides.

I'm encouraged to hear you're getting some use out of your L4 (or whatever your name of choice for it is), although I regret my review wasn't available before you bought yours. If you can live with the battery life it is at least powerful enough to run Windows 10 acceptably, where some of the Atom-based devices I've used did struggle somewhat.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2022-03-12 1:15 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2022-03-11 10:05 PM

https://liliputing.com/2022/03/chuwis-new-minibook-is-an-8-inch-conv...

This is interesting, especially the price. I have the original Chuwi, which has a weird battery monitor bug to the point where you have to physically disconnect/connect battery to get a proper read-out (the battery life itself is fine).

Jake

This is indeed very interesting - It seems to be a far better thought-out device than the L4, and for that price - Very tempting. I'm with you in your concerns about the 6GB of RAM - I would consider 8GB to be about the minimum for modern Windows machines, though as you note this class of machine is unlikely to be doing as many RAM-intensive tasks as a desktop or larger laptop. The desktop I'm writing on is currently using 5.4GB (of 16GB total) with 10 browser tabs open, as well as an email client, word processor and CAD application, so it seems it would be usable, if a little uncomfortable in terms of 'headroom'. USB-C fast charging is a major bonus (and a reasonable expectation in 2022), as is the 1200p screen. I'm not so sure about the battery (26.6Wh) but I would hope the newer processor is more power-efficient at idle / low loads. It would also be interesting to find out if it has proper fan control and/or a silent operating mode.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-03-12 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I know that the GPD MicroPC initially had 6GB, that was then upped to 8GB before the machine actually shipped. I still backed it with 6GB since Windows-on-UMPC rarely interests me at any level of RAM and 6GB will pretty much run any Linux flavor.

That said, I run Win10 exclusively on my Chuwi. I can't really remember why; perhaps Chuwi didn't have much Linux support or I was just avoiding hassle. Mine has the faster CPU and 8GB so Win10 boots slowly but runs fine, as Win10 always does on UMPC.

I suppose we could watch Linux developments and if it did actually work on the new Chuwi, a prospective buyer could then pull the trigger.

Still, the price is amazing, though Chuwi's seemingly poor support has angered many folks on Chuwi forums/facebook.

Jake
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2022-03-12 5:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Just saw this on liliputing...looks like a slew of 7-inch laptops is hitting the market.

https://liliputing.com/2022/03/this-7-inch-mini-laptop-with-a-celero...
gct
gct Page Icon Posted 2022-03-13 6:36 AM
#
Thank you all - I have made a small site donation as it is thanks to the review hosted here that I was able to get full hardware functionality returned

I remember seeing the original Chuwi Mini Book, but it somehow seemed to disappear from the market, and I then kept browsing other devices that still cost more than I could justify spending.

Nice to see it coming back at a lower price. Having a higher resolution screen will definitely be welcome, along with USB-C charging. I can't get an accurate measurement of the L4's barrel plug because it seems to be some uncommon size.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-13 9:53 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thank-you & thanks to @robertojones
CYBIN Page Icon Posted 2023-05-26 3:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Hello Robert,

first of all I would like to thank you for the article.
https://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/topton/l4/

It is very accurate and informative.
Furthermore, you also address the points that interest me and that cannot be found anywhere else.

In March, I ordered this small notebook to Germany via ebay. It has 1GB of memory and I created two partitions.
Instead of Windows 11, I installed Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19.
Afterwards, I found out that the left mouse button does not work, the sound card cannot be found, the touch screen does not work at all on Windows and reacts skewed on Linux.

The seller promised to send me a new one, but I now have my doubts.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you if it would be possible for you to provide me with the appropriate hardware drivers? I just can't find them anywhere. Or link them somehow?

The thing cost about 350 EUR plus customs duties.
It's not too much, but it would be a pity to throw it away.

Thank you in advance and again thank you for serving articles.
It has given me some clarity, because apparently these problems did not only occur with me.

With kind regards

Volodja
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-05-26 4:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@Volodja I own this machine, but with a faster cpu and 12gb ram. Downgrading Win11 to Win10 without saving the drivers has put you into difficulty. I've read reports that a reinstall of Win11/update allows generic drivers to solve your touchscreen and sound issues, but I can't vouch personally. For restoring the left mouse button, recheck Robert's excellent review: he has an autohotkey script to help. I also think you can tinker with Win's tablet settings to do the same, though I don't know if it works in Win10.

As restoring the left mouse button in Linux, use these two commands:

xkbset exp "=mousekeys”
xkbset m

You may have to script/keystroke those commands, as I don't find them always persistent throughout a session.

I don't know why your touchscreen is "skewed" on Linux unless you mean it's in portrait mode rather than landscape. That can be addressed in Display settings or you can use, in terminal:

xrandr -o left

or

xrandr -o right

Depending on your screen rotation.

Also, I find it hard to believe you only have 1gb ram. You might check that again.

As for the Win driver issues, I have those drivers but a) I'm not certain they'll work with Win10 2) their zipped directory is quite large, 1.1gb

I don't have access anywhere on-line that could store something so large, so you would have to provide me a safe space to upload.

Linux Mint 19 is very old. For sound and other issues, try Manjaro xfce. Other than the need for a left button workaround, Manjaro's kernel should address your hardware issues, including sound.

Jake
CYBIN Page Icon Posted 2023-05-26 6:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Many thanks Jake,

no, no )
I have 12GB RAM and a 1GB SSD hard drive.
It's this hip thing.

I tried Windows 11 again, of course. But nothing did there.
By skew symmetrical I meant that the screen reacts mirrored along the diagonal. So when I type at the bottom left, something appears at the top right.

Of course, I changed the screen rotation accordingly, but the error still remains.

But thank you for the hint for the mouse button. I will try it out at the weekend.

Many greetings

Volodja

p.s. Linux Mint 19 is old but it allows me a FORTRAN77-MATLAB-SSH connection with my usual settings.
I don't know why, but with Mint 20, for example, it no longer works the way I'm used to.
I follow the premise - "Never change the winning team".

Edited by CYBIN 2023-05-26 6:18 PM
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-05-26 6:32 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

You might run a live usb of Manjaro xfce just to see if the kernel addresses some of your hardware issues. Also good is MX Linux ahs (also xfce).

From there, see if either will play nice with your needed ssh connection.

Jake
CYBIN Page Icon Posted 2023-05-26 6:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

The first suggestion actually just crossed my mind. Thanks again, I will try it out.
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2023-05-27 8:41 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CYBIN - 2023-05-26 3:42 PM

Hello Robert,

first of all I would like to thank you for the article.
https://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/topton/l4/

It is very accurate and informative.
Furthermore, you also address the points that interest me and that cannot be found anywhere else.

You're welcome! I'm glad you found my review useful. I did try to include as much info as possible as I could find almost nothing useful anywhere else online at the time.

CYBIN - 2023-05-26 3:42 PM

Anyway, I wanted to ask you if it would be possible for you to provide me with the appropriate hardware drivers? I just can't find them anywhere. Or link them somehow?

I've just checked and I still have the drivers up in Google Drive - Please see here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16_fG6rGZAgcriJXmGWFN6Xk1mS61ElsV?usp=sharing

I'm not sure all the drivers will be correct as you seem to have the newer J4125 version of this laptop, but from what I understand most of the hardware is unchanged. I've just dumped all the drivers so they're not organised in any particular way - If you let Windows search the folder with all of them in it should figure it out though.

Good luck with your Topton (or whatever yours is called)!

Rob
CYBIN Page Icon Posted 2023-05-27 12:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Hello Robert,

I seem to have overlooked it.
Many, many thanks! That really gives me hope that I can still get the thing to work!

Thanks again!

I would like to wish you a nice weekend

Volodja
CYBIN Page Icon Posted 2023-05-27 1:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

It works!!!!!
I have sound, touch screen works too. Now all that's left is the left mouse button and then I'm the coolest kid in the schoolyard )

A many many thanks!

p.s. Volodja has a fully functional China notebook!
Thank you very much!

Edited by CYBIN 2023-05-27 2:34 PM
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2023-05-30 9:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CYBIN - 2023-05-27 1:33 PM

It works!!!!!
I have sound, touch screen works too. Now all that's left is the left mouse button and then I'm the coolest kid in the schoolyard )

A many many thanks!

p.s. Volodja has a fully functional China notebook!
Thank you very much!

You're welcome - I'm glad the drivers were useful for you! As there is basically no 'official' support it does seem like support for these devices is left to the users (and former users)...

1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 31