x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

People still talk about Windows CE today . . .

1 2 3
LordEmilio Page Icon Posted 2022-09-25 11:45 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I dunk for bananas - 2022-09-23 4:52 PM

LordEmilio - 2022-09-22 10:38 PM

However, variants are still used, even when outdated: Windows CE 6.0, Windows XP Embedded, Windows NT 4.0 Embedded, etc.

Windows XP and NT aren't variants of CE

I meant variants of Embedded versions of Windows.

About the apps, sharing the source code is possible, or the binaries but I have to translate to English the applications first.

I did an IRC client, pretty functional. A paint software that lacks a few options, like filled circle. Plus a portable piano, but it also lacks a few samples, it only features the "classic piano" sound.

Except if I add a lot of samples, the app might be a bit too heavy, like 12MB, so that usual H/PC only have 8MB in total.

Best regards,

Matthias.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2022-09-26 12:19 AM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

LordEmilio - 2022-09-25 11:45 PM

However, variants are still used, even when outdated: Windows CE 6.0, Windows XP Embedded, Windows NT 4.0 Embedded, etc.

Of course, I misunderstood then
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-26 7:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

LordEmilio - 2022-09-25 3:45 PM

About the apps, sharing the source code is possible, or the binaries but I have to translate to English the applications first.

I did an IRC client, pretty functional. A paint software that lacks a few options, like filled circle. Plus a portable piano, but it also lacks a few samples, it only features the "classic piano" sound.

Except if I add a lot of samples, the app might be a bit too heavy, like 12MB, so that usual H/PC only have 8MB in total.

Best regards,

Matthias.

Welcome to HPC:Factor. I'd be interested in trying out your programs if you didn't mind posting somewhere?
LordEmilio Page Icon Posted 2022-09-26 7:38 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for your welcome.

I may post all of my projects on my personal OVH server, since I have enough room for it. Therefore, I have to make a small Web page for it.

This might take a few days, plus the fact I have to translate everything to English. But no problem! That's part of the challenge.

If you guys have any ideas of software to create for Windows CE, then don't hesitate asking in this very topic, I shall do my best to achieve your requests (even outside of Windows CE's range, but you might rather ask by PM).

I'm also aiming to create a few games, a virtual keyboard, or a command line shell, those are missing in Windows CE 2.0. I'm using Visual Basic SDK for Windows CE to create software, but Microsoft also made a VC++ compiler for Windows CE (except I don't master this language a lot, even if it's faster and more efficient).

When I finish these tasks, I'll post a new message.

See you next time.

Matthias
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-28 2:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

We look forward to trying them out for sure!
I’m happy to be able to test for you too if you need any testers. I have the following platforms I can test stuff for you on:
Windows CE 2.0 MIPS
Windows CE 3.0 MIPS
Windows CE 4.2 ARMv4
Windows CE 6.0 x86
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-09-28 8:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I look forward to seeing your apps posted online.

While there is a lot of software that CE needs, the reality is that unless someone can get TLS working, most network stuff is a lost cause. So unless you fancy fixing that, I'd stick to offline apps.
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-09-30 6:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I found this cool in-depth blog post recently about the IBM Workpad z50
http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/2022/09/the-mips-thinkpad-kind-of.html
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-10-01 1:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

torch - 2022-10-01 3:23 AM

Thanks for the link!
IBM Workpad z50 looks like a very good device, I never saw it so up close and detailed.

-stingraze
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-10-01 3:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

LordEmilio Page Icon Posted 2022-10-01 5:54 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2022-09-28 9:40 AM

I look forward to seeing your apps posted online.

While there is a lot of software that CE needs, the reality is that unless someone can get TLS working, most network stuff is a lost cause. So unless you fancy fixing that, I'd stick to offline apps.

I'm gonna try to translate my projects and release them on my personal website.

Making TLS work under those little H/PC is an impossible challenge. This might work on Windows 95 at minimum, because the processor might be fast enough to cipher/decipher the keys. However, due to the low configuration used under these small laptops, this process might be too demanding, or even might freeze the operating system.

I found a workaround, you might just try using Browservice. It's a sort of proxy that works under Linux. It uses a Chrome instance that downloads the modern web pages, and translates them into a language that old browsers are able to understand. Then it's sent through the network to the old web browser. The only flaw is that it uses Javascript, and as far as I'm concerned, it's only partially handled under Pocket Internet Explorer :

https://support.honeywellaidc.com/s/article/Are-JavaScript-functions...

In conclusion, to navigate on the modern web with old web browsers / old computers, in this case, you'll need to create a private proxy running a Browservice instance that makes the web pages understandable to old web browsers. And since it's not the real website but a proxy server, SSL/TLS is not needed at all. However, it might encounter some bugs, as the creators didn't test on Pocket Internet Explorer at all. Which is a bummer, as Windows CE 6.0 and less are becoming old and concerned by this kind of project. Compatibility list is on the official Github, with a list of known issues depending on the configuration :

https://github.com/ttalvitie/browservice

The sound works, but is only emitted on the server, and not the client. It's still possible to watch YouTube on Windows 95 for example, but without sound. I think I've tested under Windows NT 4.0 on a virtual machine, and it was working quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MjZdKtv9ak

That's approximatively all I know from it. For Windows CE 6.0, I've heard about ZKBrowser, that is from 2018 and allows to surf the modern web, it runs pretty smooth, however I was not able to use YouTube or Discord, unfortunately. It's becoming a bit too old.

Plus I've never succeeded using the network under some of the H/PC I have, which is a bummer, but I joined this community to get some advices
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-10-01 6:37 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Don’t forget C:Amir’s original review of the z50. I remember reading that as a kid and becoming enamored with that device
https://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/ibm/workpad-z50/

Lord Emilio:
It’s up to you , I’m not trying to rush you but I’d be happy to test / take a look even if they’re not translated yet. I know French is very very different from Spanish but I may understand some to be able to try it out. But if you’re more comfortable posting when they’re translated that’s totally fine too.
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-10-03 4:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

@torch Thanks for that. The IBM machines of this era is so neat, looking at it retrospectively. Reminds me of IBM 701c with the butterfly keyboard.
torch Page Icon Posted 2022-11-01 6:40 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I came across this article about Hillary Clinton’s recommended government phone when she was Secretary of State, a hardened Windows CE device

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/this-is-the-p...
LordEmilio Page Icon Posted 2023-02-10 12:09 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well I did not say that. I said there were embedded editions of Windows, but not related. Their kernels are different.

Windows CE meant for me "Compact Edition" even if Wikipedia says it's not an acronym.

I have released a piano software for Windows CE 2.00 not later than today anyway : https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20854&po...

That's to answer to my own post

Thanks for your support

Matthias
oussama99 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-27 12:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

stingraze - 2022-10-01 1:08 AM

torch - 2022-10-01 3:23 AM

Thanks for the link!
IBM Workpad z50 looks like a very good device, I never saw it so up close and detailed.

-stingraze
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10