x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Question about the OS

1 2
nar001 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-29 11:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm very surprised WinCE is so inflexible, I wonder why they didn't do HALs like for normal Windows? Wouldn't it have been easier even to support?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-30 9:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's what the BSP is, effectively, the HAL. When you have 32MB to squeeze an entire OS into, user space and kernel space. You can't leave drivers laying about in the kernel that aren't needed.
 Top of the page
nar001 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-30 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

That's fair, I didn't think of it, is it kind of the same as the board packages you get for Android for example? Why oculdn't it be updated for newer WinCE versions, is it super customized?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 7:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Unless there is a sample BSP that can cover the CPU and basic I/O, there is no source code to update it from unless you go back to a blank file and start again by reverse engineering the hardware. Everything from talking to the audio chip through to the registers that need to be set to make the keyboard function for increasing screen brightness work need to be re-engineered.
 Top of the page
nar001 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-31 1:05 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yeah it does sound like a pain, it's cool to see work happening on Linux tho, thanks for your answers/help!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9