x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Does The Jornada 720 always include these drivers?

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-01-09 12:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I just noticed that on one of my J720s, a driver for the Cisco AiroNet 350 as well as a driver for the Socket LP-E LAN card are included in ROM.
I don't recall seeing this on other machines, so I was wondering whether this is some special ROM version I'm having.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-09 1:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Karpour - 2022-01-09 4:50 AM

I just noticed that on one of my J720s, a driver for the Cisco AiroNet 350 as well as a driver for the Socket LP-E LAN card are included in ROM.
I don't recall seeing this on other machines, so I was wondering whether this is some special ROM version I'm having.

Sounds unique/special to me.

My stock J720's include a driver/apps for the Cisco Aironet 340 (NOT 350) with "setup" and "wep" apps located in Programs /Communication folder.

You can add driver software for the Aironet 350 but you also need to install a separate hp setup app (which unlike the MP900 isWEP only... no WPA option)

There is a Socket LP-E/EIO app found in the Settings folder... is that the same thing?

Fascinating find...

joval ..from my J720/devuan/ wpa/raspiZero2/firefox hybrid
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-09 3:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, it's normal for the 720.

You shouldn't use the Cisco driver as it's for a firmware version older than time however. Always obtain the latest one.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-09 6:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2022-01-09 7:10 AM

Yes, it's normal for the 720.

You shouldn't use the Cisco driver as it's for a firmware version older than time however. Always obtain the latest one.

OK,you're saying the Aironet 340 driver on the stock J720, which works well for me in open or Wep, should be updated to the newest?

Reason is... ? faster, more efficient power use, or works better in Sri Lanka? ("seek" and you shall find).

best,

joval (from a J720/devuan wpa/RasPiZero2/ VNC "hybrid HPC"
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-09 8:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes.
1) Cisco's documentation say's so
2) The driver is firmware version matched, so you should use the driver from the firmware revision and the best thing to do it just use the latest of both
3) You need it for bug fixes, power management, efficiency and feature changes. A lot changed in wireless between 1999 and 2012.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-01-09 9:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Good to know, thanks! I plugged in my Aironet 350 and it seemed to work fine. I never really realized that those were included, though previously I mostly used German models, which definitely have quite a few differences in Firmware.
For example, they include a command shell with an MS-DOS icon (which is pretty funny), though maybe not all German ROM versions do..?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-09 10:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Later version of CE higher all have cmd.exe, including HPC2000
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2022-01-09 10:06 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Karpour the command line exe file is in the ROM on my 720 and 728 but there's no shortcut in the programs folder.

Just have a look for cmd.exe in the windows folder and I think that's what you are referring too. I've never used it so have no idea what its for.

Huw
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-09 10:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It exists to allow CE to run as MINKERN, which means headless without a GUI. It is included in MAXALL builds basically as a way to allow the execution of command line switches which was a faff and a half back in CE 2.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-01-10 1:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Ah I never realized it was there on my English one, the German one I have has a Start menu entry for it!
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2022-01-10 4:31 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Well that makes sense. I wonder why they added it to the Start Menu in the German ROM?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-10 5:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

May be because the German's are hyper efficient and that requires the command line?

Interesting though. I didn't know that either!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10