x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

DOS Breakthrough: Ethernet via Wifi

radiance32 Page Icon Posted 2022-01-16 10:43 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Also, once all the site's images for navigation, the header on top etc are loaded/cached,
Navigating the different pages is MUCH faster...

It's the initial loading of all the images shared on all the pages that makes it slow...

Terrence
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-16 10:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's fine, it's all the YouTube embed's that are the main wait as they cause the UI to repaint.
radiance32 Page Icon Posted 2022-01-16 10:47 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Once you've loaded the front page and all images are downloaded/cached,
When you click on one of the other pages with the navigation menu on the left in the green bar,
like the howtos page or download page, what's the response time like for the new page to load ?

Terrence
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-16 11:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Like I said, it's fine.
radiance32 Page Icon Posted 2022-01-16 11:11 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Ok, thanks for helping out
I really appreciate it

Looks like it's working good then. I've had similar feedback from a few friends i've emailed...
I'm gonna go ahead and build my whole website onto this setup.

I'm hoping the site will be ready in 1-2 weeks,
and I will be making a video about the whole setup,
to show viewers how to setup a web server like this,
I think it will make for a splendid video,
and it's %100 inline with my YouTube channel's philosophy which is that you can do everything on an HP 200LX (metaphorically speaking that is! )
It wouldn't be in line with this philosophy if i were to simply host my website on a modern linux/apache/php/mysql web server.
I'll also add a shoutout to this forum at the end of that video

Cheers,
Terrence
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 1:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Geez... I'm impressed. Remarkably snappy per my Samsung tablet, given the distance and level of cpu firepower! Is all that throughput actually going through the 16Mhz cpu or via the NAS? Rather an amazing little surprise... "blast from the past" so to speak.

Joval
radiance32 Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 2:17 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

The whole website (all html, images and downloadable files) are served from the HP 200LX,
the NAS is only used for storage of the website data,
it's just a large volume mounted over the network on the 200LX, which uses it as it's web root.

So yeah, everything is %100 going through the 200LX, the NAS is not involved in any other way than to serve the web data to the 200LX,
and there's no other system involved.

I just added the About page (the same page as the one that is linked to from the picture of the palmtop webserver on the left green bar, I'm planning to add a page every day, so it should be finished in about a week or so (the initial website pages).

I'm happy to hear the performance is good, Joval, thanks for helping me out testing the webpage.
It's pretty amazing no? I'm suprised and very happy with the performance of the site on such a slow machine.
Then again I wonder how it's going to hold up once I announce it in a video and multiple people will all load the website at the same time...
I hope connections just wait until they are ready to be served and none are dropped...

I'd love to hear from others what they think and, one of my friends said that some of the videos
on the front page don't work. instead of seeing the youtube video he gets a black box with a "This video's premiere has ended..." instead of the thumbnail of the video and you can click on it to play the video.
It only seems to do that on his computer. I'd be interested in hearing from others if someone also has this strange issue that so far only seems to happen on my friend's PC.

Cheers,
Radiance
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 3:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2022-01-14 7:26 PM

C:Amie - 2022-01-13 5:11 PM

Seems to me that this could have some legs for CE as well in overcoming the WPA and ethernet driver limitations that people experience. Alas I doubt there is any driver interface support for SLIP

This approach would be too slow for WinCE, not to mention cumbersome. I believe the best way to bring WinCE to WPA networks is by using the same esp8266, but with this firmware ( https://github.com/martin-ger/esp_wifi_repeater ) paired up with a regular Ethernet card. For WinCE it will be just a regular Ethernet card, but on the other end you have an esp8266 connecting the Ethernet link to any Wi-Fi network. We can go all the way up to write a custom little program that talks to the esp8266 and changes configs like which network to join, passwords, etc.

I just ordered one of these : ... also here: It is based on Esp32 ( the newer big brother to the esp8266). Hope it does the trick! Now, I just hope has functioning firmware. https://www.crowdsupply.com/silicognition/wesp32/updates/ethernet-to... and. https://www.hackster.io/simon-vavpotic/esp32-wifi-to-ethernet-bridge...

Joval
radiance32 Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 4:07 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Added the about page with some information about my site and channel, and some technical info about the webserver, although I'm very careful not to give away too much details as I don't want to make a possible hacker's life easier by explaining everything on a naked webpage like that...
Also added the shop page which just lists all the Serdaco products I use in my videos (parallel port sounds cards and other adapters), tomorrow I'll add more.
I'll also do the support/links page tomorrow where I plan to add a big fat link to this forum as the primary support forum for HP DOS Palmtops hopefully it will draw more users over here and make the forum a bit more busy (the DOS palmtops forum)

I'm still interested in hearing the speed/lag/responsiveness feedback from more people,
so everyone that reads this is happy to test the site and provide some much wanted feedback

Cheers,
Radiance
radiance32 Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 4:40 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hey C:Amie,

I was wondering if you have a nice high-resolution bitmap, or a vector format LOGO of the HPC:factor logo, as I'd like to put a nice big logo next to the links to this forum on my Support & Links page i'm making for my new website...
Do you have one I could use ?

Cheers,
Radiance
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 4:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

This may be the easiest solution

Looks like it could be battery powered, so gonna order one also and check it out

Joval
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 5:52 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake: Thanks for mentioning Frogfind.com!!! I had no idea it existed... was just reviewing wikipedia in text and the links worked too. Happy camper here.

joval ..on his j720 with "RasPi hardware-extension"
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 8:32 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We're all wandering way off topic here. Please pull it back folks. Thread topic is:
DOS Breakthrough: Ethernet via Wifi

To continue talking about anything else, please start a new thread or locate an appropriate one.

Joval, please use Amazon/eBay buttons when posting Amazon/eBay links. It helps the site out and helps international users search for it in their local region.
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 3:07 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2022-01-17 12:32 AM

Joval, please use Amazon/eBay buttons when posting Amazon/eBay links. It helps the site out and helps international users search for it in their local region.

Sorry about that Chief! I better "Get Smart." How does one do that... I know you mentioned it recently. Happy to do so, and ask that you fix it for me since I can't... post is locked for edits. I struggled getting the dang correct web page to come up as is Is there some way to automate that??? cuz I'd opt in. Just trying to avoid the wrath of Kahn )

Ohh... now I see the "Ebay link" button Above! so just click and paste webpage in text box... got it ...will do!!

Question: does a NE2000 compatible ethernet pcmcia card work ( have driver ) for DOS? I hope this is germaine. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

joval ...on his J720/Devuan/RasPi brew

Edited by joval 2022-01-17 3:34 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 4:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I made the edit
The official MS-DOS network client comes with NE1000 and NE2000 reference drivers.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 16