x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada-config for j720 Devuan is fabuloso!

joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-15 2:10 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Timob0's masterpiece Jornada-config is a fabulous utility especially if "buttons" are installed.

I hurriedly installed the main menu J-config program but did not carefully review the ReadMe file which mentions his "button scripts."

The power button script is great... makes the J720 "sleep" ==>turns off wifi and backlight and slows cpu to about 1/4 norm for a major saving on battery life. I have yet to try the other button scripts... but this is really cool, IMO. Really mimics the WinCE on/off ( but without its incredible power saving ability). It really polishes up the J720/Devuan look and feel, rivalling WinCE, IMO

Not only can you max out / resize storage on your CF or SD card, set up and connect wifi, change screen brightness and contrast, underclock and overclock the cpu, apply the bx patch, chose startup options like whether to require manual log-in vs auto-login, boot to console or auto-boot startx to IceWM Desktop, completely power off the J720, add users and change passwords, enable SSh, and more!

Soon I will host a newer disk image that will autoboot up the desktop and open a window with the Jornada-config Menu running.

You can so easily switch desktops from firefox on one desktop ( ctrl + alt + arrow key < or >and back to Jornada-config to perfectly adjust contrast because Firefox and VNC X-forwarded windows need darkening. Easy peasy.

Anyway, Timo really did an outstanding job and put all the bells and whistles there at your finger tips.... and now it's so convenient to have it there on the desktop first thing when you boot up the "IceWM desktop." Thanks again Timo! It is really cool... and so dang useful and convenient'

OK, gotta get back to testing the other buttons out... more to follow... as I continue to learn more about this awesome addition!

joval ...via a J720/devuan/RasPi hybrid HPC

Edited by joval 2022-01-15 2:26 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 4:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All,

Pleased to report Timo's button scripts work well... can increase or decrease screen brightness incrementally using the external + and - (media player) buttons on-the-fly.

Power off/on button stretches battery life to at least approx 10 hours in idle mode with IceWM window manager....from what I can quickly determine (vs about 3 hours awake and surfing net with Firefox, 2hours using VNC remote desktop). These are rough ( in my case "crude" estimates but give you some idea of magnitiude of change. (In console mode or with Fluxbox window manager probably give even better battery life since both are less cpu intensive).

Very nice addition to the mix!

joval ...via a J72(8)/Devuan/WPA-wifi/auto_ssh_RasPi3B+_Firefox hybrid

Edited by joval 2022-01-17 4:47 PM
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 6:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Amazing, can't wait to give this a try, been too busy lately to properly set things up, but will do as soon as I got my 128MB memory module
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-18 6:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Karpour - 2022-01-17 10:53 AM

Amazing, can't wait to give this a try, been too busy lately to properly set things up, but will do as soon as I got my 128MB memory module

Hi Karpour,

I seem to have forgotten to gratefully mention your contribution to the J720 debian project. As I recall early you did some network troubleshooting and later you helped with the keymaps. Thank you for that. Keymaps still need work in the disk images I'm hosting...xmod is it... can't do yellow function key: no R/L Brackets, no tilde for home, etc. Any ideas appreciated...

Oh, you're really going to like Timo's Jornada-config and the button scripts. 95% time wifi function works great, but if you change wifi cards there can be an issue because it gets renamed. (I will post fixes : sometimes just turn wifi off and then on, other times delete the 70 persistent_ rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d then cycle wifi card off and on, cycle /etc/init.d/connman stop then start, etc.).

Resizing does a great job and quickly, too.

Let me know how long the 128 rom board boots up to the Desktop.

Also, I haven't hosted the latest images yet...

And, as Stefan (the Magnificent) has noted, some CF cards and even SD cards need params.txt file to have a "root delay" which varies, I'm using =2 (Stefan uses 5 sec). Otherwise you may get the infamous "kernel panic" on bootup. My disk images have default =0, new image will be set to =2 or so. (I need to tell ArchiMark about this issue on the disk images as I did encounter it recently on both an SD and CF card==>kernel panic resolved when increased to 2)

Best regards,

joval ...from J72(8)/Devuan/WPA/RasPi Hybrid HPC
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9