x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WinCE/DOS:Web-text-surf via Frogfind.com+Esp8266

joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-17 8:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

It's now possible to "pseudo-surf" the web in "text mode" using our old basic HTML WinCE browsers,
using an open wifi card/connection via the Esp8266 +Martin-ger Github wifi-repeater firmware and accessing Frogfind.com which converts many https:// sites into basic HTML text only web pages. I think it will work for DOS too.

Ntware pointed out that although it's open wifi you can restrict access to improve security; I assume by limiting the Esp8266 to a single user and specific MAC address!
You can only view websites... no interaction, or posting is possible, but links do seem to work on wikipedia, etc.

This is quite nice...using WinCE on a Jornada720 you can even view simple text version of HPCFactor.

Combine this with a google.com image search on the J720 and you can view small thumbnail images, and on bing you can view and read about the image of the day.

So... the Esp8622 + Frogfind.com partially re-opens the door to increased winCE functionality.

Now, to test it out on J680 or MP800...or my DOS Zeos... keeping my fingers crossed...

joval ...and his J728/RasPi Hybrid HPC

Edited by joval 2022-01-17 8:19 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-18 1:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Interesting that CE is not vexed by DNS resolution problems but DOS still is: https://github.com/martin-ger/esp_slip_router/issues/17

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-18 3:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2022-01-18 5:14 AM

Interesting that CE is not vexed by DNS resolution problems but DOS still is: https://github.com/martin-ger/esp_slip_router/issues/17

Jake

Hi Jake!

You're using Martin-ger SLIP to wifi esp8266... whereas I'm using his open wifi to wpa2 wifi "repeater" for esp8266.

I don't know if open wifi cards work with DOS, ethernet cards do from what C:amie indicates.

Stock esp8266 lacks ethernet port, but some custom types do but firmware may be an issue. I ordered one and also a small ethernet to wifi bridge for about $30 and will see what I can get working (this may be easiest approach...tethered ethernet and secure as well).

Thanks again for the Frogfind.com "find." It's great!

best regards,
Joval .... via my J72(8)/RasPi hybrid HPC
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-18 5:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm glad you find frogfind useful. I'm finding a lot of news site don't load entirely. So you'll get only a few article links to click. Mileage varies site to site.

The ideal approach--at least, for DOS--is to get DosLynx or lynx up and running. But I cannot figure out the *.cfg's so they can access the wifi/ethernet packets.

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-19 3:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2022-01-18 9:35 AM

I'm glad you find frogfind useful. I'm finding a lot of news site don't load entirely. So you'll get only a few article links to click. Mileage varies site to site.

The ideal approach--at least, for DOS--is to get DosLynx or lynx up and running. But I cannot figure out the *.cfg's so they can access the wifi/ethernet packets.

Jake

True, the news sites have restrictions, but wikipedia, Britannica and many others work well with the J720 PIE4 browser including saving text only webpages to file... which I review later using AIReader2 in 2 column format with black background (my preference).

So for a few buck for the esp8266 you can use any wifi card... aironet 340, netgear 401, linsys wpc11... to connect the J720 to the internet again. I use the latter 2 because I can "dual boot" via wpa in Devuan Linux to RasPi (as I am now)or boot WinCE as open wifi to esp8266 (to quickly download wikipedia content and save to storage).

Frogfind webpage links within wikipedia or Britannica actually work taking you to other webpages rendered quickly in WinCE PIE4 mode.

Best of both worlds, IMHO.

I just found out both Frogfind and 68knews were created/run by the same fellow!

regards,

joval on a J720/RasPi hybrid HPC

Edited by joval 2022-01-19 3:05 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-19 3:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Telnetting to lynx with lynx.scramworks.net is still the best, on DOS or CE.

If you end up using it, please send him a donation. His Port 23 was closed until just yesterday and ssh telnetting is close to impossible with legacy kit. SSHDOS is the closest solution and my serial wifi/ethernet's firmware can't do a proper nameserver, so all seems lost there as well

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-20 1:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2022-01-19 7:46 AM

Telnetting to lynx with lynx.scramworks.net is still the best, on DOS or CE.

If you end up using it, please send him a donation. His Port 23 was closed until just yesterday and ssh telnetting is close to impossible with legacy kit. SSHDOS is the closest solution and my serial wifi/ethernet's firmware can't do a proper nameserver, so all seems lost there as well

Jake

Wow Jake, Thanks! Lynx.scramworks.net with ssh or telnet works great usin ssh and telnet in devuan.
Yes, I will send a donation... hope he keeps it running.

I am now connected via my J720 NE 2000 ethernet card plugged into the IOGear "ethernet-2-wifi adapter" that just arrived today... and so I am evaluating it... for $30 you can't go wrong... it is completely transparent when set up (requires laptop... j720 browser can't do javascript).

Its not much bigger than a AA battery runs off about 1/2 amp average at 5volts...here I will check it out... meter says 0.3 to 0.9 amp depending on load==>2.5 watts so can run off battery power, presently AC phone charger with std microUSB.

I have Vttoth Telnet app ($15 ) for J720 WinCE... so I will see if I can get it working again (registration code not working since I changed from 32Mb to 64Mb Rom). Then J720 will have lynx access with a secure ethernet to WPA2 connection. I'll report back...

joval ..via J720/ethernet2Wpa2/RasPi firefox hybrid
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-20 2:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI Vttoth's Pocket Telnet seems quite worthless regarding the lynx.scramworks.net... doesn't work.

I made a nice donation to their cause, anyway.

Going to try Pocket Putty next...

joval ...on a J720/ethernet_2_WPA2/RasPi hybrid

ADDENDUM: Putty ( need redgear) works great with Lynx.scramworks.net in winCE!

Edited by joval 2022-01-20 4:08 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-20 4:20 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was just going to recommend Pocket Putty to you--that'll get you on, both the site's telenet and ssh.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-20 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

How are you powering your new wifi adapter? I find, with my ESP adapter, that the power bank keeps auto shutting off, due to the low power needs of the adapter. A workaround is to run a usb light out of the other port, but this is cumbersome.

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-21 4:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2022-01-20 8:24 AM

How are you powering your new wifi adapter? I find, with my ESP adapter, that the power bank keeps auto shutting off, due to the low power needs of the adapter. A workaround is to run a usb light out of the other port, but this is cumbersome.

Jake

I'm using a single battery 2200ma charger basically a single 18650 lithium battery in a case... these don't have any current sensing or 'on' switch... just plug it in and power is on. I'm running the $30 IOGear "ethernet-2-wpa2" off such a battery now. It's working great and should last a few hours. The little device gets a bit warm which has me thinking it is a 3v esp-like device with a LM?? resistive voltage regulator (which dissipates the 2v difference from 5v input to 3v out as heat... an inverter would be more efficient but this unit is tiny... about the size of AA battery... The LMxxx is much smaller thanan inverter board.

Hey, yes Pocket Putty (with Redgear) is super! I log onto Lynx.scramworks.net using the Telnet option in WinCE ==> beautiful near full screen with scrolling!

Regarding Frogfind: I find if I log into hpcfactor and add /forums/forums to the shown Url I can get the complete thread not just the first few entrys.

Same thing with wikipedia.org ... add /star or /moon and it will bring up that article.

So, except for high security News sites it works... problem is finding which url"suffixes" are parsed.

May post a few photos tomorrow...

joval ..via J720/devuan/battery+ethernet2wpa2/RasPi/firefox Hybrid HPC
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-21 1:07 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Addendum: The $30 IOGear DOES seem work fine with those larger cell phone chargers with the current sensing on/off switch... it's doing so now.

It's the Esp8266 as you stated that DO NOT draw enough continuous current to keep them on... so the single cell switchless ones are needed. Maybe a capacitor would fix this issue... I'll check it out and report back.

Also, another advantage of pcmcia ethernet card attached to the IOGear ethernet2wifi adapter is SPEED... 10/100Mbs ...being much faster than the pcmcia wifi card to esp8266 wifi repeater combo 2 or 4Mbs? max (although Esp32 variant is much faster if repeater software exists... need to check that out). The fast speed is rather addicting, IMO, too.

In addition, power consumption is a tiny fraction using ethernet card vs wifi card. Only dowside is IOGear cannot be configured to different wifi access points on the fly by J720 (no javascript) like the Esp8266 wifi-repeater can.

best,

joval via j72(8)/devuan/battery+Ethernet2Wpa2/RasPi/firefox Zombie HPC

Edited by joval 2022-01-21 2:15 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-21 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, I've seen people open their power banks and insert capacitors, etc to disable the auto shut-off. That's beyond me. I've got a power bank coming that insists it can fuel low-power items, so we'll see.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9