x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Velo 1 upgrade CE1 to CE2

fantablium Page Icon Posted 2022-01-18 4:23 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hello all,

I am trying to upgrade a Velo 1 running CE 1 to CE 2. I have done a fresh install of windows 95 and office 95 on my lifebook 540D from 1996. I can get the Velo to connect to Windows Services 1 with no issue but when I try to connect it to Services 2.1 (that came with the upgrade) it tells me that the device is incompatible.

Because of this I cannot compete the CAB installation to upgrade to CE2 and CE1 doesn't allow onboard CAB install - I already tried.

Is there a Windows Services 2? Is it just 2.1 that is incompatible?

Hope someone can help.
Huw
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-18 5:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi Fantablium,

I'm afraid that the ROM update is a chip swap, not a re-flash. Devices of that age didn't have flash ROM. CE Service 2.x is just the old name for ActiveSync. You can use ActiveSync 3.8 instead of it (and should because it is better). However ActiveSync will not work with CE 1.0x. Only H/PC Explorer works with CE 1.0x.

Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2022-01-19 3:42 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi C:Amie,

So it seems I simply missed a step! I have the CE2 ROM card and the 8Mb Ram card but as part of the installation once the cards are installed and without batteries in the device you need to connect it to the mains adapter and turn it on then disconnect it and put the batteries in.

Without doing this weird power dance the device will not recognise the new ROM so it boots to CE1. No idea why this works but it does.

Thanks for the response though!
Huw
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-19 4:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Glad you got it sorted
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 17