x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Successfully Browse https in Pocket IE

1 2
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-21 10:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20403&po...

After the setup, just put the proxy address in Pocket IE's View/Internet Options/Connections/Use Proxy Server

The speed of loading depends on the site, but hpcfactor.com comes up with remarkable speed. Lurking only, obviously no posting.

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-22 3:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2022-01-21 2:21 PM

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20403&po...

After the setup, just put the proxy address in Pocket IE's View/Internet Options/Connections/Use Proxy Server

The speed of loading depends on the site, but hpcfactor.com comes up with remarkable speed. Lurking only, obviously no posting.

Jake

Jake... Great find Wow!

I just found a similar program for the RasPi/linux named WRP: https://github.com/tenox7/wrp#readme

A bit slow on RasPi 4 , works by taking a gif snapshot of https webpage, but works great on J720 32 Mb PIE4 ! Just like the original website and links work too. (No need to check PIE proxy box though)

Oh, Happy day... this is much like MP900 using opera but better fonts (Opera works as a type of proxy IMO). Now the J720 is ==> Back to the Future!

C:Amie should be pleased we're turning our attention on WinCE finally!

Joval

Edited by joval 2022-01-22 3:07 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-22 4:00 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I usually use netfront more for the readable fonts but IE is actually faster, I think.

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-22 4:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2022-01-21 8:00 PM

Yeah, I usually use netfront more for the readable fonts but IE is actually faster, I think.

Jake

I don't know where to download netfront... I still remember that old cease and desist issue in 2007
... so I doubt its here.

Regarding the retro-browser WRP: fairly good for static sites with few pics. works well with HPCFactor and Wikipedia.

Since it doesn't use the PIE web proxy option, it is more work to enter url in a text box and there are tricks such as by appending URL's such as : https:/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/xyz ...where xyz is what you wish to view. For this site : https://hpcfactor/forums brings up forum page.

Many pages are too much if taken as a whole... especially for stock J720 with 32Mb..they are GIF image files with an overlay map of the links.

Here's the setup for WRP on the RasPi:
from the following from site:
https://github.com/tenox7/wrp/releases/

download: 
       wrp-arm-linux  (to downloads folder) 
then in xterminal
cd /Downloads
and make it executable:
sudo chmod +x wrp-arm-linux

For the J720 32Mb I suggest start it with this in terminal:

./wrp-arm-linux -g 640x0x64

this sizes the screen to 640 with full length webpage and 64k dittered colors... use 256 if better quality desired, etc.

(or -g 640x18000x64 and use x-factor of 0.9 or less to shrink pixels if above won't render... play around till it works for you, you can change it on the fly for specific web pages if needed).

Also, in PIE4 under view/options: max out the cache size... seems to help with large web pages.

I have tried this with Aironet 340 open wifi to...open esp8266 wifi-repeater (192.168.4.1) to WPA2 to home router assigned ip... to RasPi wpa2 on home router. It works with lags and chokes up on big pages... but gets you online again with limitation. Should work with WinCE 2.0, J680, MP800 etc... expect slower and more restrictions... I will report back.

I've also used the NE2000 ethernet to the IOGear ethernet2Wifi adapter which is direct WPA2 to home router and thus RasPi. Faster but bulkier with dongles, cables, adapter + battery or ac power.

I will try out Jakes Retro-browser on my Windows 10 laptop... its way faster than any RasPi... and report back.

The retro-browser programs are a very useful addition, it's great to have access to Wikipedia again, and HPCFactor using our old Aironet 340 wifi cards + esp8266... combined with instant "on/off"... but as you might surmise that does not compare to the full featured devuan-to-RasPi alternative, from which this is being posted.
(as some might say: Perfection is the enemy of Good).

joval from a J720/devuan/ ethernet2wpa2_wifi /RasPi 3B+/Firefox Hybrid HPC... again

Edited by joval 2022-01-22 6:04 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-22 5:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Good info to know. And if you have a DOS machine lying around, MicroWeb is the newest addition to DOS browsing, with text rendering best in CGA mode:

microweb -c

Even in CGA, running this setup makes text pretty miniscule on the 200LX. MicroWeb developer has a Palmtop port, pretty alpha at this point, but the guy is always developing new releases, so we'll see where this ends up, DOS-wise.

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-23 4:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

Here is a sample photo of J720 (64Mb rom) in WinCE mode with NE2000 ethernet card connected to $30 IOGear ethernet2wifi adapter (WPA2) shown on keyboard area and displaying a Wikipedia picture of "Honey pot ants" in 256 color mode using the WRP proxy running on a RasPi 4. Amazing! Who would have thought!

And this is a secure connection: ethernet ==> WPA2. (An alternative less secure slower set up : Aironet 340 wifi card [or equivalent] in open mode to a cheapo $4 Esp866 "wifi repeater" [converts open to WPA2 mode] to RasPi with WRP proxy).

I have recently found the 600 x 1800 x 256 (x 1x) mode) works really well for Wikipedia, and when you get to the bottom of the page, click the scroll bar on the image and it will scroll repeatedly until you reach the end of the article.!

I'll bet C:Amie is Drooling! His WinCE baby is back online in a major way with a RasPi "hardware-extension."

If you're content with text mode then you don't even need the RasPi ... just use Jake's cool discovery of "frogfind.com" which is really snappy or use Pocket Putty's telnet to another Jake jewel: lynx.scramworks.net... If you open a 2nd PIE window and type google.com ==> choose images :type in "wikipedia ants" you can view small images that go with the article in Frogfind.com. So, this is a simple work around "sans retro-browser or RasPi"

I see no reason this won't work on the Jornada 680 or MP800/900 or most HPC's if you have the NE2000 ethernet pcmcia card. I'll look into that, too.

best,

Joval

Edited by joval 2022-01-23 5:24 PM

(DSC01654.JPG)

(DSC01653.JPG)

(Frogfind.com-Ant.JPG)

(Google-Images-wikipedia-ant.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01654.JPG (130KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC01653.JPG (153KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Frogfind.com-Ant.JPG (163KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Google-Images-wikipedia-ant.JPG (145KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-01-23 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Very impressive. Well done.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-24 10:53 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is indeed very cool. We need a CESD on setting this up on PC/Mac/Linux/RPi so that everyone can use it. anyone feeling in the writing mood?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-24 5:44 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI: I chose "honey pot ants" to lure Rich away from the neighborhood widows!

OK... WRP "proxy" works on the MobilePro 800 using a NE2000 ethernet card + ethernet2Wifi (WPA2) adapter to RasPi 4 running "WRP -g 800 x 3800 x256." It's slow loading of course and images don't show (?bmp's not jpeg/ gif).I couldn't get Frogfind.com working right. I did find msn.com has http:// access.

See photos below.

FYI
C:Amie - 2022-01-24 2:53 AM

It is indeed very cool. We need a CESD on setting this up on PC/Mac/Linux/RPi so that everyone can use it. anyone feeling in the writing mood?

What is CESD and what are you looking for? Everything is detailed above ... you just want it stitched together into a "how to" or so?

Next, I'm going to try WRP on my windows laptop to compare with RasPi4.

UPDATE: only took about 12 seconds to begin displaying on MP800 using windows laptop, comparing to about 35 seconds on RasPi. With J720/32Mb and Aironet to esp8266 to Windows takes about 10 seconds...for a small page, with J720/32Mb and NE2000 + eth2Wifi adapter to Windows WRP takes 15 seconds to load entire large Wikipedia Main Page. (so less than 1/2 time approx). Hope that helps.

Joval

Edited by joval 2022-01-24 6:56 PM

(mp800-eth2wpa2-wrp.JPG)

(mp800-NE2000-eth2wpa2-wrp.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mp800-eth2wpa2-wrp.JPG (153KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments mp800-NE2000-eth2wpa2-wrp.JPG (177KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-24 8:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CESD is the sites knowledgebase aka the support section.

Yes, basically in nice steps for all constituent users; like a MS KB technical article (rather than an editorial).
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-25 3:40 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Certainly willing to put some effort into it...but someone has to edit or review.

So far I'm only acquainted with the WRP program and haven't tried out Reto-Proxy which involves more steps to set up.. Hopefully will get it setup and will compare the two.

Get this... for Windows 64 version of WRP all you do is download and unzip the program.... then start it with command prompt with screen geometry set as you like with the -g wxhxcolor option. Oh and give firewall permission. Super simple!

With linux you have to do the chmod +x so it's executable. otherwise such a mini-program.

Can hardly believe the old MP800 laying around as "useless" is now surfing the net showing full page wikipedia, HPCfactor, etc! Blast from the past. The WRP program is just some dinky little thing, starts and stops on a dime (shilling?).

So, yes I agree CESD is needed. There is some real llife giving power in this for WinCE, IMO.

Joval
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-25 11:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Editing is my job

Think you could get it to run as a boot service on your RPi H/PC companion? That could be a valuable part of the doc.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-25 4:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2022-01-25 3:52 AM

Editing is my job

Think you could get it to run as a boot service on your RPi H/PC companion? That could be a valuable part of the doc.

Oh, yes... just place in startup folder in Windows or RasPi equivalent,etc.

WRP has been around since 2014 ... don't know why we haven't been aware. There are newer proxy server programs... like WebOne that need to be looked at too, like Retro-proxy and they use different approaches to slimming down and converting webpages and may allow more interactive options. So, there's some work ahead to sort things out as to which is best for HPC's.

With the advent of the esp8266 WiFi repeater or the ethernet2wifi adapters, wireless web browsing is again a cheap achievable option for our vintage HPC's using our vintage WiFi cards or Ethernet cards (vs a tethered Ethernet to router option which has always been available but AFAIK never been mated to a workable proxy server as we are now discovering/implementing).

Joval
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-01-25 5:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds to me like as a package it could all be a game changer that everyone will need!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-01-26 7:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Wow I just logged in using WRT-proxy from my J72(8) in WinCE Mode! Takes a little time but can be done! Just learning how WRT works ... it has a text box for such. Joval posting from J720 /ethernet2wifi/WinCE /WRT-proxy/PIE4
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 10