x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Convert video for Jornada 720/728

1 2
frisser Page Icon Posted 2022-02-17 2:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have used and tested several programs and I finally found a good and fast method for converting video. I would like to share my method. This is a WIP, so I will update this thread when I have optimized it further (like downgrading audio etc.)

Free software used XMedia Recode (Website)

Open your video file or DVD and on the first screen select 'Format: AVI'

On the VIDEO tab select Codec XviD and FourCC select DX50. Rate control CBR and Bitrate 0

On the Filters/Preview tab select on Height 240, Scaling Mode Lanczos and check Keep aspect ratio. You could also use the default scaling method, I don't think you will see any difference.

If your video is Interlaced (DVD etc.) then click on the eye icon under Deinterlace and select Yadif for Deinterlace filter. Also here you can use the default detinterlace method.

Click on Add to queue en select Encode

Attached are the Xmedia Recode (3.5.5.3) settings.

Edited by frisser 2022-02-17 4:43 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HPC.xmrx (1KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-02-17 3:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Good post, I like it. We've not had an up to date method posted for a while.

To be clear though, what player and extension are you optimising for and on what device?

Our preferred method always used to be via screen ratings https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200206/generating_dvd_catalys...
Also you cannot get old of DVD Catalyst any more
 Top of the page
frisser Page Icon Posted 2022-02-17 3:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2022-02-16 4:00 PM
To be clear though, what player and extension are you optimising for and on what device?

Like the title says: Jornada 720/728 the player is TCPMP Version 0.72RC1. So for devices with screensize 640x240. You can change it if you change the height (or width) of your device.

Our preferred method always used to be via screen ratings https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200206/generating_dvd_catalys...

I also used DVD Catalyst and analysed the converted files. I missed some options but the result were very good.
Didn't know about the bechmark file, so maybe I will update/finetune my method.

Edited by frisser 2022-02-17 3:43 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-02-17 4:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Great! That is a real nice addition especially, maybe, for converting youtube downloads. I have a program that converts them to mp4 but that wouldn't play on J720 (unless there is some plug-in for TCPMP I'm not aware of). It would be so cool if it works with XMedia Recode... python tutorials, that 2 hour run down the Grand Canyon (saved me from having to make the run!) video, TWIT podcasts, etc. Thanks! Hope I can get things working finally.

C:Amie... you realize your website spell checker and grammar correction built-ins make me seem a good deal more intelligent and erudite than otherwise might be apparent.

Joval

ADDENDUM: Yes! Working great on J720 with 64Mb ROM!! Fast, simple... This is a game changer for me. Video is good but a bit choppy per J720 screen refresh limitations. Really cool!!!

Edited by joval 2022-02-17 4:34 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-02-17 4:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

frisser - 2022-02-17 3:12 PM

C:Amie - 2022-02-16 4:00 PM

Like the title says: Jornada 720/728 the player is TCPMP Version 0.72RC1. So for devices with screensize 640x240. You can change it if you change the height (or width) of your device.

I also used DVD Catalyst and analysed the converted files. I missed some options but the result were very good.
Didn't know about the bechmark file, so maybe I will update/finetune my method.
With or without GAPI and the optimisations mentioned in the benchmark doc?

We should resurrect the DC benchmark system. I'm not sure what Mitch's algorithm was though. Could you use our benchmark video and generate a banchmark text file and upload it, I might take a quick look! Thanks
 Top of the page
frisser Page Icon Posted 2022-02-17 4:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have not used the bechmark option in TCPMP and I now realize that it is very useful. So I'll see if I can optimize it more using that option.
I use GAPI and indeed the option mentioned in the bechmark doc.

to be continued...
 Top of the page
frisser Page Icon Posted 2022-02-17 5:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

How to Remove Black Bars from a Video

If you want to remove the black bars:

On the Filters/Preview tab clik on the Crop eye icon, check Auto. Aspect ratio and click on Auto Crop.
 Top of the page
frisser Page Icon Posted 2022-03-08 7:39 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I finally (after 15 years of hesitating) bought the Handheld Resource CD from usedhandheld.com and I must say the DVDCatalyst GT version on that CD is working excellent. Results are beautiful!
If you are still in doubt because of the high shipping costs from the US, Usedhandheld can also send an ISO file. So you have no shipping costs.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-03-08 7:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There's some good stuff on that CD. Getting one of the best "super PIMs," Pocket On-Schedule, makes it worth the money by itself.
 Top of the page
frisser Page Icon Posted 2022-03-08 8:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2022-03-07 8:56 AM

There's some good stuff on that CD. Getting one of the best "super PIMs," Pocket On-Schedule, makes it worth the money by itself.

For me it was for Textmaker 2002 and Planmaker 2004. I can now choose between the bigger (and slower) 2006 version or the light (faster) versions. I think Textmaker 2002 is now becoming my default word processor.
 Top of the page
frisser Page Icon Posted 2022-03-08 4:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

New and simpler method

Download Handbrake

Choose your video and select MP4

On the Dimension tab select the options shown below

On the Filter tab turn everything off, if you have an interlaced video (DVD) then select Default on the Interlace detection and Decomb

On the Video tab you can experiment with some settings. These are my Jornada settings:
On the MobilePro you can easily select 15 FPS and Avg. Bitrate 500-650

On the Audio tab choose AAC, Bitrate 64 and Mixdown Mono

Edited by frisser 2022-03-08 4:06 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-03-08 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
frisser, these are really helpful posts. Thank you for taking the time to make them.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-08 8:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes indeed, very informative. Great work!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-03-09 2:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

frisser - 2022-03-07 11:39 PM

I finally (after 15 years of hesitating) bought the Handheld Resource CD from usedhandheld.com and I must say the DVDCatalyst GT version on that CD is working excellent. Results are beautiful!
If you are still in doubt because of the high shipping costs from the US, Usedhandheld can also send an ISO file. So you have no shipping costs.

Yes, really good useful work you're doing here, much appreciated!!

What is DVD catalyst... a Jornada video player or a windows encoder?? I have that usedhandheld CD somewhere. Thanks again. (just looked it up online and see it is for encoding video... like Xmedia Recode or Handbrake, correct?

Downloading Handbrake now...I had a few videos that Xmedia Recode didn't work on/encode properly, will try this new one.

best regards,

Joval
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-09 7:11 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

DVD Catalyst is a DVD and video Ripping tool that supports direct (optimised) encoding into video that will playback on H/PC's.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10