x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

YT Channel name change

radiance32 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-24 1:47 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Guys,

What do you think of my decision to change my channel a bit:

Instead of "HP Palmtop Tube", it will be from now on called "Palmtop Tube",
and my website will be: www.palmtoptube.com, perfect matched domain name

I still have to update some logos and graphics here and there,
but the idea is to diversify the palmtops on my channel,
not that I'm running out of ideas for the 100/200LX machines, to the contrary,
I have a long list of awesome technical projects to research and make videos for,
more than I can accomplish in at least one year...

But, I thought it would be more interesting to once in a while add a video about another palmtop,
mainly, the machines in my Psion collection, being the Series 3, 3a, 3mx, 5 and 5mx.
Back in the day when I bought a brand new HP200LX 1MB when I was 15 years old (with money I earned from working a summer job assembling clone PCs in a shop nearby my house), I already had a Psion Series 3a 1MB for about one year.

The Psion 3a was, until I had the 200LX, my whole life, literally, all my contacts, daily activities, documents etc were on it.
I used it to access BBS'es with the comms app and the 3link cable with a 9600 baud external modem,
and played a lot of the freeware and shareware games on it that I got from Steve Litchfield's Psion Archive CD-ROM.
I had the 3a with 1MB internally, and had a 4MB Flash card (which was VERY expensive at the time!) and a 2MB coin cell backed RAM card.

Unfortunately I don't have the code/executable anymore, but I wrote a complete vectorial drawing program on it in OPL (Psion's Organizer Programming Language),
with lines, circles, boxes/rectangles, arcs, text primitives etc... and you could zoom in/out and pan the drawing.
I also wrote some code and attached a microsoft 2 button serial mouse to it, to move the small crosshair cursor of my drawing program around the screen,
and selecting the operations was with the relevant keys on the keyboard like L for line, B for box, C for circle etc...
It also supported the grey plane, so it supported white, grey and black drawing and filling modes

OPL was such a great language, In my opinion, it rivaled Turbo Pascal in features and speed, and implemented everything you could do on the palmtop with ease (like using the palmtop's OS's built-in libraries to draw menus, dialog and entry boxes etc...)

Although the Psion machines aren't as flexible as the HP100/200LX in terms of software and hardware compatibility,
they are nonetheless very capable and I already have some ideas in mind to make cool videos about

I might even try to use one in my 200LX raytracing video, to see what the difference in speed is,
as I've got a working vmware image with windows 95 and the complete SIBO (16bit) C SDK, so I can compile C code for the Series 3 machines, and my raytracing code is old-fashioned ANSI C, so it should compile with minimal changes

I wonder if the faster CPU in the 3mx can compete with a double-speed 200LX
The 3mx is probably faster, as it has an NEC V30MX (80C86 compatible) running at 27.684 MHz, versus my 16MHZ 80186 in my doublespeed 200LX machines...

So what do you think about the channel name/focus change and do you have any ideas for videos you'd like to see that sport a Psion machine with or without an HP machine ?
Or, are there any other brands of 90's palmtops you'd like to see ?

One thing though, I'm not going to do any Windows CE or Palm devices as there seem to already be enough people talking about them and I'd like to focus on MS-DOS palmtops or Psion SIBO or EPOC machines...

Cheers,
Terrence

Top of the page Quote Reply
Jake Page Icon Posted 2022-02-24 2:56 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I think it would be great to give the Psion a little love here. We don't have as much action as we should and anything you contribute would be much appreciated. Except for the Psion Digest (email), there is little current resource for SIBO/EPOC.

Jake
radiance32 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-24 3:19 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I still have some C code for the Series 3 that opens the RS-232 port and reads incoming data at 9600bps,
and translates microsoft 2 button mouse protocol into a moving pointer on the screen.

That might make for an interesting video, as I can educate viewers on what a serial mouse protocol actually looks like and how it works...
I'll put it on my list

Cheers,
Radiance
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-02-24 9:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Seems like a sensible branding evolution to me
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-03-08 4:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hey Terrence,

Hope you are doing OK....

Haven't seen you here in a long time.....

and checked your YT channel and no videos in a long time either.....
would be in interested in more 200LX and Psion videos....

Mark

radiance32 Page Icon Posted 2023-03-09 4:24 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

ArchiMark - 2023-03-08 5:56 PM

Hey Terrence,

Hope you are doing OK....

Haven't seen you here in a long time.....

and checked your YT channel and no videos in a long time either.....
would be in interested in more 200LX and Psion videos....

Mark

Hi,

I'm still around, but I've been sick during the last year and have had 2 surgeries
to remove my gallbladder and to clean my bile duct trees, it's been hard/painful
to recover and I'm currently still withdrawing / slowly reducing pain management meds etc...

This has halted all my online endeavours, and, my landlord gave me notice to vacate due to him selling the property,
so I am also organizing all this stuff (finding a new rental home, packing, moving, unpacking), etc...
I will probably start creating more videos in a few months...
I've got some hardware and other projects I need to create videos for:

My Roland SCP-55 PCMCIA sound canvas card in the 200LX,

My unbiased pathtracing raytracer that I wrote in C++ last year and that I'm porting to C++98 (Borland Turbo C++ compatible on 16bit 8086 platforms).
It can render large images by rendering line by line and appending the line, after it's raytraced, to the output TGA file,
thereby requiring only the memory for one horizontal line of pixels in memory in 32 bit float RGB format and outputting to 24bpp TGA.
It can render models with up to ~15000 vertices and up to ~15000 triangles using those vertices in quite high resolutions (due to the horizontal line buffering).
At 1920x1080, it takes about 2 months to render one image of my test scene with acceptable levels of noise LOL But it works, and the images look super good.
It can even render in 4K (3850x2160), but I don't want to have to wait 8-10 months for one image

Also got myself a Rolodex REX, which I plan to make a video of, a PDA inside a PDA!!! (eg the REX in the PCMCIA slot of the 200lx, syncing calendar, notes and contacts as there is a 200lx to REX converter/sync software someone wrote)

And I've got other toys to make videos of, much more... (also some more game reviews etc...)

I'm around though, and you can always post here (in reply to my posts) to get my attention,
or email or PM me here...

Cheers,
Terrence

Edited by radiance32 2023-03-09 4:29 AM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-03-09 10:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@radiance32 I am truly sorry to hear that you are up against it at the moment. My thoughts are with you. Do keep in touch with how you are progressing and we all look forward to seeing you able to be back with us once again once you are settled and feeling better. I am sure that you do not need the extra stress of moving! I also hope that you have not been impacted by the recent flooding - I have family down your way and have been watching NewsHub with horror.
Take care!
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-03-09 2:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Glad to hear you're still in this astral plane....

Although sorry to hear about your health issues....hope you're on the mend now....

Look forward to more posts and videos...sounds like some interesting topics....

Intrigued by your REX, Psion, and other 200LX ideas, etc.....all sounds very useful to me....

Best,

Mark

Edited by ArchiMark 2023-03-09 3:15 PM
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-03-09 10:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Forgot to ask, which REX model did you get?
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9