x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My experiences with the HP-95LX

Hp95fan
Hp95fan Page Icon Posted 2024-03-29 9:44 PM
#
I've got myself a HP96LX but somehow managed to corrupt the FAT on C. CHKDSK complains
Disk Error Reading FAT1
Disk Error Reading FAT2
Data Error Reading Drive C
A,R,I?
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Jake Page Icon Posted 2024-03-30 1:33 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I've never heard of this before, but I sent your post over to the HPLX Mailing List and I'm hoping one of those veterans might have an approach.

Jake
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2024-03-30 5:32 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Just re-initialize? If the error re-appears the internal RAM is corrupt.
Hp95fan
Hp95fan Page Icon Posted 2024-03-30 9:32 AM
#
How do I reinitialize?

Do you mean format if so, that option doesn't work from the main Ui and only tries to format A
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2024-03-31 7:01 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Just leave all batteries (button and AAs) for a few hours. Then it builds the system from the scratch when powered again.

If that does not help the hardware is corrupted (beyond repair I assume)
Hp95fan
Hp95fan Page Icon Posted 2024-03-31 2:02 PM
#
dl1av - 2024-03-31 7:01 AM

Just leave all batteries (button and AAs) for a few hours. Then it builds the system from the scratch when powered again.

If that does not help the hardware is corrupted (beyond repair I assume)

I assume if you could get fdisk or a formatting tool onto the 512kb ram cart it would come to life again but it's catch 22 as I can't find anything which will read them in modern PCs.

I mean it works, but seems like C is ready only due to the FAT issue. It must be possible to reformat it? Are there some tools on D?
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2024-04-01 2:53 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

After the power-less reset the device has to be functional on it's own. It has to boot, leave some kb for RAM and the rest (if you have the 1MB model) for drive_c-emulation.

This has to work out all without any doing from you. If not then you have a damaged hardware and cannot do anything without soldering.

Fdisk will do you no good because the hardware ("drive_C" and RAM space) inside the HP is all emulated. The hardware base of the complete machine is one single 1MB static RAM (and some ROM, of course, for the firmware) and therefore it has to go back to it's initial state if you leave it powerless long enough.

Back in 1990 there was no flash RAM as we use it today (even the PSION-flash was a different technology) and all mobile devices used only that kind of memory when there was not enough power for D-RAM.

The PCMCIA connector back then was only type I and only used for this little SRAM memory expansion cards which were quite expensive, needed an internal backup battery and were only available up to a few MB.

They are quite rare today and really expensive at ebay or whereever.

I bought my first of there cards for my HP95 back in 1993. 1MB for around 600USD, directly ordered by UPS-mail in Chicago. At that time there was a massive price gap for computer memory between Europe and US and even with import taxes it was half the price I would have paid in Germany.
With UPS it was here within 4 days, that was quicker then some german mail ordering services

That was international trade around 1990, kids
With a fax machine, a real credit card and UPS.

Edited by dl1av 2024-04-01 3:07 PM
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 15