x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

AOSC Linux for J7xx

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-02-28 3:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I found another Linux distribution that specifically mentions Jornada 7xx as a target: https://wiki.aosc.io/aosc-os/retro/intro/

Not sure how ready to use this is, but might be interesting to have a look at! Did anyone hear of this before?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-02-28 4:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Karpour - 2022-02-28 7:11 AM

I found another Linux distribution that specifically mentions Jornada 7xx as a target: https://wiki.aosc.io/aosc-os/retro/intro/

Not sure how ready to use this is, but might be interesting to have a look at! Did anyone hear of this before?

Hi Karpour!

It's new to me, not that I would know Linux distros at all... sounds much more resource hungry than Stefan's great Devuan Ascii port (and it's such a perfect match for the RasPi debian-based OS as RasPi programs run via X-forwarding or VNC... no need to install them on the Jxx.. like text to speech browser plug ins, youtube videos, most RasPi apps, etc).

And Stefan continues to work his magic adding Bx patch, Zram to speed up the Jxx... amazing fellow...part Hacker/Coder... part Magician/Wizard! Timob0 has added several useful utilities, and "broke the Sound Barrier" by conjuring some magic of his own-- to create a working sound driver/codec mod, etc as well. The surprises keep coming...

ports a limited range of devices. ... Specifically the HP Jornada 710/720/728/820 Windows CE handheld computers. AOSC OS/Retro Base and Server should run on any of the supported devices with their standard RAM capacity (32MiB or 64MiB), X11 requires that you install a 64MiB RAM capacity ROM card to ensure acceptable performance. Trinity Desktop Environment is not supported, for obvious performance reasons.

But it's worth a look, maybe a lighter weight desktop might fly!

BTW, thanks for you keymap work, etc on the J720 Devuan port.

best regards,

Joval

Edited by joval 2022-02-28 8:50 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.144 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8