x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Having issues installing windows CE 2.0 apps

Chukibrunki95 Page Icon Posted 2022-03-11 3:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Whenever I try to install a Windows CE 2.0 app on my Compaq 2010c I get either

'x is not a valid Windows CE application' (This happens with most .exe's)

'The application cannot run on the current operating system version' (This only happens with CAB files)

'Application x.exe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.
Program: x.exe
Exception: 0xc0000005
Address: 00000000' (this error only happen with ScrnGrab.exe)

I'm starting to wish I just bought a Jornada or a HP x00 series

-Cheeki
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-11 4:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What .exe's have you tried? Usually when we see this, you're trying to run a host installer on CE itself.

The CAB error suggests you are trying to run a CE 2.10+ CAB on a CE 2.00 device.

The last one is an access violation. As the SCL doesn't have compatibility data in it, I would guess that it's a 2.11 app and won't run on 2.00
 Top of the page
Chukibrunki95 Page Icon Posted 2022-03-11 4:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've tried
GNUboy
Leos flight sim
PocketDOS
PythonCE
ScrnGrab
Solitaire PPC
SP2 Demo SH3
SP1

I'm on the look out for other .exes but I got sick of going through the SCL, opening the link in wayback machine and then trying to find the download link
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-11 7:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2022-03-11 9:20 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

You'll need the MIPS version of any applications for that device, several you've listed are for SH3 or ARM instead.
I don't know anything about all of the applications there, but I do know about these:

There is a MIPS version of PocketDOS that should work on 2.0.
Download PocketDOS from here (http://www.mediator-software.com/pocketdos/download.htm), and download the one for 2.1 and earlier. Extract the .EXE with 7-zip and ignore the error message about extra data.
From there, install at least PocketDOS.mips_hpc.CAB (the program) and FREEDOS_100.CAB (a copy of FreeDOS) to your device.
If you don't have much space, you can use FREEDOS_BOOT_100.CAB which doesn't have all the utilities, but is enough to start FreeDOS in PocketDOS.

GNUBoy won't work on a device below CE 3.0, but PalmGB (https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1085/P._Felber_M._Fayzulin/PalmGB/version_1.01?page=details) should work.
Rename 'PalmGB (no sound).exe.MIPS' to just 'PalmGB (no sound).exe'. This version is quite slow though due to the lack of any screen drawing acceleration. Ignore the version that has sound, as PalmGB's sound emulation is really bad.
There's a newer, much faster version of PalmGB available here (https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1163/Hayes_Haugen/PalmGB/version_2.0.1010) that runs more games and might also work, but that one requires a registration key. It'll only work for two minutes without it.

There's also Python for CE1 and CE2 devices (https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1134/PythonCE/Python/version_1.0b1). Follow the instructions in the readme. It is very sensitive to which paths it will work in.
It's a very old version of Python though, so any scripts you want to use will need editing.
To run a script, put it in the Scripts folder and import it. If it doesn't execute immediately, run [name of script].main(). If that doesn't work either, look for the if __name__=='__main__' line in the file and run whatever function gets called there.
For example,
>>> import status 
>>> status.main()

will run the status script. Rename .py files to .txt to edit them, then rename them back to run.

As for a machine that ran the most software... you'd ideally want something like like a Jornada 720, since the lion's share of CE software wants CE3 and an ARM CPU instead of SH3 or MIPS. A newer device than that would be even better honestly, but there's been a lot of focus on the 720 in particular.
I wish I had one of those. Maybe some months down the line when I have money to burn, hah.

Edited by null1024 2022-03-11 9:27 PM
 Top of the page
Chukibrunki95 Page Icon Posted 2022-03-11 10:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

That worked. Guess I just didn't know how to CE. Thanks!
 Top of the page
Chukibrunki95 Page Icon Posted 2022-03-11 10:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Some programs wont work right and I really need to find a good source that has them all and I don't have to comb through archive.org links like the SCL so for the meantime all I can do is write in C and play solitaire on my desk bound Compaq 2010c.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-12 11:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

By the way, please do feed back to the SCL that the app entries don't work on the 2010C (via the compatibility tab), rate apps and add any text comments on issues you encountered. I know it's no consolation for the frustration of finding that things do not work, but your feedback will help other people make more informed choices... and constructive feedback might improve your community rating.
 Top of the page
Chukibrunki95 Page Icon Posted 2022-03-12 6:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I noticed a few of the programming apps were for higher versions of CE only.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-12 8:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Please go to the compatibility tab for the app, pick your device and state that it did not work with the app.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.210 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9