x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Idea for using old devices with dead batteries.

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-03-13 10:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

So, I was researching, and nowadays even if your Handheld PC’s battery died, you could get a portable battery that supports 100V AC and plug the AC adapter into that.

I’ve noticed ANKER and several other companies make these.
Example: https://us.anker.com/products/a1710

Anyone have experience with the 100V AC supported mobile battery?

Seems like it isn’t listed on amazon.com but is on amazon.co.jp .
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-03-13 11:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

It seems kind of wasteful to go this route, you can also get batteries that directly supply 9V, 12V, etc and simply use an adapter for whatever barrel jack you need!

If you have a powerbank that can do USB-PD, there are adapters that essentially "fake" a PD device and tell the powerbank to output a specific voltage. This way, you can charge a 12V handheld via USB-C (use with caution)
These devices are often sold as "USB PD trigger"
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-03-13 11:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks for the tip!
My method becomes useful for devices like Sigmarion 3, where the dc plug is a special kind (special connector). If I can afford to find a AC adapter that I can cut off the plug and use it, your USB PD trigger will be useful.

Edited by stingraze 2022-03-13 11:27 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-03-13 11:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I agree, as a long term solution doing DC > AC > DC stepping is very wasteful. Though I can see the appeal of the product in other use cases.

They don't seem to have that model in the UK either. I should sign up to Amazon.co.jp for you to use shouldn't I

The for you the most economic route would be to walk the dead battery into Akihabara and have someone re-cell it. They're almost certainly just commodity 18650's. Should cost peanuts!
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2022-03-13 4:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2022-03-13 11:52 AM

I agree, as a long term solution doing DC > AC > DC stepping is very wasteful. Though I can see the appeal of the product in other use cases. ...

Exactly, perfectly fine for short term use cases: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20209&po...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8